Thread: Any network gurus on here these days?

Any network gurus on here these days?

Here's what I'm trying to do...

I have my cable modem connected to my #1 RJ45 NIC port on my PC and I would like to connect my wireless access point to the #2 RJ45 port so I can pump out a wireless signal to my laptop, Kindle, iPad, etc... Not having much luck. The PC sees everything, but no wireless is coming off the access point.

Previously, I had the modem connected to a router and the wireless access point connected to an open port on the router. The router is 15 years old and took a shit. I'm hoping there's a way to not use a router and connect with existing equipment through my two ports on my NIC in the PC.

I have an integrated NIC and the Device Manager shows it as:
    Intel(R) 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection
    Intel(R) I210 Gigabit Network Connection

I'm assuming there are two listings because I have two ports, although, I don't know why they don't list as the same...

Modem: Zoom 5345
    Wireless Access Point: TP-Link TL-WA701ND

Thanks!
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

Re: Any network gurus on here these days?

You're not seeing the wireless network or not seeing internet through the wireless signal?

To do it with what you have, you are going to have to bridge the connections on the PC and run a DHCP server on the second port of the PC. The cable modem is only going to give you one IP.
    Blair
    2000 GSX750F, 2003 YZ450F, 2004 GSXR750, 2006 ZX-14
    2013 CBR500R, 2016 YZF-R6 - MRA #760

Quote Originally Posted by blaircsf View Post
    You're not seeing the wireless network or not seeing internet through the wireless signal?

To do it with what you have, you are going to have to bridge the connections on the PC and run a DHCP server on the second port of the PC. The cable modem is only going to give you one IP.
    I can't find any info on how to bridge the two RJ45 ports on the NIC. Well... I can, but it's all very complicated and looks like people are using a lot of hardware as well.

My laptop and Kindle now see the Access Point and I can log-on to the PC from the laptop and see all the drives on the PC, but still no internet. My Kindle sees the AP and asks for a log-in and connects, but no internet there, either.

ICS is enabled on the PC.

So many damn settings!!
    Kim & Dean

I also did CTRL and selected both ports and clicked "Bridge Connections". Thought that would do it, but nooooooooooooooo!! It bridges the two and says Network Cable Unplugged and I have no internet at all....
    Kim & Dean

You need to plug the port labeled Internet on the WAP into your modem. Plug your computer into the WAP. You would have to configure your computer as router and you don't want to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by birchyboy View Post
    You need to plug the port labeled Internet on the WAP into your modem. Plug your computer into the WAP. You would have to configure your computer as router and you don't want to do that.
    That'll be tricky, as there's only one port on the WAP...

Doing what I'm trying to do leaves your machine wide open on the internet. I was bored and just wanted to see it work. Screw it, just buy another router!

Anyone need a two month old TP-Link WAP?
    Kim & Dean

Quote Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean View Post
    That'll be tricky, as there's only one port on the WAP...

Doing what I'm trying to do leaves your machine wide open on the internet. I was bored and just wanted to see it work. Screw it, just buy another router!

Anyone need a two month old TP-Link WAP?
    It's a true access point? Sorry, those aren't typically discussed. What do you have for a modem for your internet? Is it a modem only, or a modem with integrated router?

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blaircsf View Post
    <Snip...>To do it with what you have, you are going to have to bridge the connections on the PC and run a DHCP server on the second port of the PC. The cable modem is only going to give you one IP.
    I'd +1 this. Based on what The Google is telling me, that 5345 is not an integrated router, just a CM.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Buying another router is probably the easiest way. If you don't do that, you effectively have to run a router on your PC for the second port. The cable modem would give your PC an ip address, but then your PC would be responsible for giving IP addresses to your other devices.

Instead of leaving your whole machine open on the internet, I would recommend port forwarding any ports you want to use. A lot of routers these days are coming with dynamic dns setups to where you can access your computer through a known address instead of your public IP (which can change depending on your internet access).
    Blair
    2000 GSX750F, 2003 YZ450F, 2004 GSXR750, 2006 ZX-14
    2013 CBR500R, 2016 YZF-R6 - MRA #760