Thread: Pilot Road 4's on the track

Pilot Road 4's on the track

Curious if any one has used these tires at the track on a dry day and how well they worked. Basically, I've still got a set on my bike with some life left in them and I'd like to do a couple of the MRA SuperStreet classes this summer. I know they aren't really track day tires, but I'm not trying to win any races and if they will work and be safe I'd like to use them up before putting new tires on. I've only got the one set of wheels so either I use up the PR4s I have on there or I buy new tires, pay for them to be mounted for the summer and a couple track days, and then pay for the PR4s to be put back on later to get the remaining life out of them, not the end of the world but some expenses I'd like to avoid if possible.

Also, anyone know how they judge the "Tread must be at least 50%" requirement? They appear to be at least that to me, but I can't find anywhere online that states the original tread depth on the tires so I can use a gauge to measure what's left and confirm I'm good.

Thanks!

Re: Pilot Road 4's on the track

I'm sure they'll do fine for superstreet. If you're not near the wear bars, it shouldn't be an issue; nobody is putting a micrometer on your tires.

The most obvious answer is if you are worried about them then replace them. The last thing you want to have on your mind while trying to learn new skills or just having fun at speed is the tires.

Take it from someone who has done it. Used, worn, questionable tires can and will bite you. I had rather spend the money on tires than hospital bills or bike repairs. These things usually cost more than a new set of rubber.

Then again this is just my .02
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter t_jolt's Avatar

I used Road 3 years about 4-5 years ago for super street. Honestly, i would just buy a set of take offs. they had no grip when at lean, and took my street bike and made it not so pretty. So i would recommend getting take offs. They well hold 10x better then your 4's. Also you can get a set of takes for like 50$

Thanks
    Tyrel
    Mitsujagvettecedes 1000RXTS GTR

Hand built by Jerry Garcia, Dan Gurney, Chuck Norris and Duntov's ghost. GT97 turbo,
    8WD, berilium pistons, titanium rods, unobtanium crank. Block forged from the dead souls of Mongol warriors. Depleted Uranium Dog box, Flubber tires, and stage 87 axles.

-1.07 @5.7c

Ive been on Pueblo (open day) with the Road 4s. Im not sure that I would do it again even if the circumstances were the same. Obviously Pueblo didnt have an ambulance on site and my mentality was that I would always ride 75% and work on technique.

Even at 75% the tire didnt hold all that well. Dont get me wrong, I would take that tire on the street over any tire available, but its simply not a dry track tire.
    Mo-Door.com - Contact me for CSC pricing

Mo-Door on: Twitter Facebook

I ran PR4's at a few open lapping days on my RR at Pueblo, and never had a problem. I put it in my head that 75% of my limit was the max for the day. I still had a knee down and was turning decent lap times for me, but just knew in my head I couldn't go too hard. I was expecting to spin it off turns, but surprisingly it always gripped and pulled the front tire up.

Thanks for the input guys! I'll look for takeoffs or just do a new pair of tires. Not worth risking it on tires that won't be confidence inspiring on the track.

RS10, Q3's, Rosso Corsa, any opinions? I'd like something that'll work well on the track but not wear so fast that I have to stress about blowing through them on weekend canyons...

Q3 gets my vote. Have never had an issue with them, excellent grip and handling characteristics, will last you longer than the other 2 you mentioned. I gave the RS10 a go as they came on my R1 when I bought it and I like those quite a bit as well, but they're a much softer tire and won't last you nearly as long.

As for your current tires, I agree with the others. You'd be suited at looking at something more tailored or designated to track riding. The sport touring tires just do not tolerate excessive heat as well as the others. Sure, you can get round on them, but I'd rather spend the money on tires/peace of mind than be repairing a crashed bike.
    Rich
    '15 R1
    MRA 464

Want to sell your used PR4's? I'd be interested in buying them if they are 120 front 190 rear.

Always kinda wondered about this. Specifically to the limits of the PR4 that is. I know there's significant compound and carcass differences for a reason. Just not willing to risk the paint and bandages to find out where those lines are. The PR4 can hold a 600lb FJR with no complaint to canyon aggression but can't do what the exact same dimension Q3 that fits a CBR600 can do at the track. These folks at the tire companies are true alchemists.
    (except the MotoGP michelins thus far this year)
    "On a cycle the frame is gone. You're completely in contact with it all. You're in the scene, not just watching it anymore, and the sense of presence is overwhelming.” Pirsig

Hit up Mike Applehans for some race take offs and have proper track tires at the track for a fraction of the cost.
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Want to sell your used PR4's? I'd be interested in buying them if they are 120 front 190 rear.
    180 Rear Aaron otherwise I'd say yes. If I don't do the class at PPIR and wait until the first one at HPR then I may just try to get out and ride the crap out of the PR4s over the next month and get all my use out them.

Thanks for all the suggestions and input everyone, I'll make sure to get some rubber suited to the occasion so I can enjoy it to the fullest.