Thanks to my cranky old fawker neighbors complaining to Lakewood PD, they have instituted increased speed enforcement on 6th ave. A thread was started on the neighborhood forum by someone bitching and moaning about the "crotch rockets" racing up and down 6th ave and it turned into a total pile-on bitch-fest by pretty much everybody about how awful they are. The community activist types with connections to council members, etc got the word to LPD and they responded with these increased special patrols. Stupid thing is this wasn't a result of anyone actually witnessing this apparently dangerous behavior, this was all about the noise they are hearing by people who live close to the freeway (duh, you bought a house next to the freeway!), and that turned into speed enforcement when it should be noise abatement. Another example of loud exhaust pissing off enough people resulting in screwing the MC community. Queue the loud pipes save lives comments.

Here's the post that LPD made:
"The Lakewood Police Department has been receiving ongoing complaints from residents regarding the excessive speed and associated noise of some vehicles traveling on 6th Ave. Although the issue most likely occurs on any given day & time, most complaints indicate the issue increases on weekends. As a result of resident's complaints, members of the Lakewood Police Department's Traffic Unit will begin increased monitoring and enforcement of vehicular speed this weekend. The additional directed speed enforcement on 6th Ave. will continue for at least the next several weekends. The Lakewood Police Department urges you to drive safely."

On a side note, I saw a guy fully splitting lanes on 6th ave this morning, first time I've ever seen anyone doing that here. I smiled and can only imagine how indignantly pissed off all the cagers must have been.

Discuss among yourselves. It's been slow as hell around here lately so as a lurker I've been forced to post something...