Thread: Trading cars (or bikes) short term

Trading cars (or bikes) short term

Maybe this thread could become a sort of marketplace for people to trial cars or bikes if people have the same tastes..

I'm not into wasting peoples time on craigslist or at a dealer. Not gonna ask to check out a bike just to sit on, or go to a dealer to test drive a car (then they get your number and keep bothering you if you don't buy..)

I've rented plenty of exotics, but never gotten to drive a more practical 335i, Evo and like I said I don't want to be dealing with a dealership just to try it out. I recently discovered Turo so today I'm renting a 6MT WRX STi, but I'm sure the guy renting was hoping on renting it for a week, not a day. Hardly seems worth their time but business is business and I hope it's fun!

So seems like there could be a need to find people who want to trade and try other cars/bikes. Good/bad idea? I would just think we each take a copy of drivers license and insurance before the ride. I know going to meets and track days will help a lot, but you know people are lazy and would love to do it the online way

While on the subject, if any of this sounds good to people maybe post details/pics about what you have to offer and what you're looking for. I have a GSXR 750 and a R6 but I feel like I need to try a liter bike someday while I still ride. And if you have basically anything with 3 pedals, I'd trade my G37 or TSX for a test ride. Or if you need a truck for a day, I have a F150..
    Last edited by GMR; Thu May 12th, 2016 at 06:09 AM.

Present: 2006 GSXR 750 (black/yellow), 2006 Yamaha R6r (blue)
    Sold: 2011 Ninja 250 (green/black), 2007 R6s (blue)

Re: Trading cars (or bikes) short term

Quid pro quo clarice, you trade me things, I trade you things. Quid pro quo, yes or no...
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Re: Trading cars (or bikes) short term

I personally would never do it….but that is because I don’t trust people and have seen how bad some people treat others people’s stuff. So saying that I’d be worried a person would beat on my car/bike because the long term damage may not initially show; like being hard on a clutch.

Another worry for me would be insurance if something did happen. Usually your insurance will not cover another person riding your bike, so it falls to their insurance. In that case you would basically have to check their auto insurance policy to see if the damage would be covered…..if not it will end up that rider has to pay and not a lot of people have the cash to pay for repairs right away. It may seem like a crash is rare, but I feel that when a person is on a new bike they are not familiar with, the chances go up

Last, I’d be worried someone would use my bike for a trackday and knowing how auto insurance works, they crash on a track, and most likely no insurance would cover that.

I’ve just seen it many times before when a buddy lends someone a bike, then they crash and never pay the person back….usually they are more concerned with the huge hospital bills they get with the crash and their recovery.

I do know people on this site have done this before so it some people may be interested for sure….just not untrusting me
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

– Hsun

CURRENT:
    '13 Corvette 1LZ Z06
    '92 CB9 Accord (5-speed)
    PAST (bikes):
    '09 CBR600RRA, '03 CBR954RR, '01 CBR600F4i, '02 SV650s
    PAST (cars):
    '03 S2000 (AP1), '06 Evo9, '92 Civic hatch (B18C1 swap), '97 E36 M3/4, '91 MR2T, '95 Integra GSR (B18C1), '92 Integra GSR (B17A1), '91 Taurus SHO, '91 CRX Si, '89 Civic Si, '90 Integra GS, '85 Impulse (non-turbo), '82 Subaru GL AWD