Thread: LEO Respect

LEO Respect

I have to give it up to Officer Parks from the Colorado Highway Patrol. I'm not usually a fan of law enforcement, mainly due to their often heavy handed methods of dealing with the public. However, I was coming back from Boulder today on my ZX14 and was stuck behind two cars going 30 miles an hour for several miles. I finally got the chance to pass them and I hit it, only to find out we had just entered a construction zone and there was a Dodge Charger HiPo sitting on the side of the road gunning traffic. He got me RIGHT as I went to pass the 2 love birds and I was clocked at 75+. He lit up his wigwags and I pulled right over. When he approached my bike he asked if I knew the speed limit in this area (it was 40, down from 65). I told him I don’t often take this route and didn’t realize they were just setting up construction. I told him had been stuck behind those 2 guys since Boulder and took the first chance I had open to pass them.
    To my shock he looks at me and smiles and says, “Sit tight, I am giving you a warning. It is too early in the season to have 6 points against you already.” Jaw meet floor. Anyway…. Respect Officer Parks!!

Ride safe y'all.

Re: LEO Respect

It's good to hear someone passing along their positive interactions with LE. It happens daily but seems mostly the bad stories get out and about. I'm surprised you got away with it though, CSP is known for high percentage of citations. Be careful out there!

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    I'm surprised you got away with it though, CSP is known for high percentage of citations. Be careful out there!
    Agreed! I would be super surprised (and stoked) as well, to have gotten off with a friendly warning...
    – Hsun

CURRENT:
    '13 Corvette 1LZ Z06
    '92 CB9 Accord (5-speed)
    PAST (bikes):
    '09 CBR600RRA, '03 CBR954RR, '01 CBR600F4i, '02 SV650s
    PAST (cars):
    '03 S2000 (AP1), '06 Evo9, '92 Civic hatch (B18C1 swap), '97 E36 M3/4, '91 MR2T, '95 Integra GSR (B18C1), '92 Integra GSR (B17A1), '91 Taurus SHO, '91 CRX Si, '89 Civic Si, '90 Integra GS, '85 Impulse (non-turbo), '82 Subaru GL AWD

Good to hear something positive once in a while. I gotta say for myself, last time I was pulled over on P2P I got a warning as well. Officer was very polite and understood I wasnt out squidding around but was over the speed limit. Overall, I have had more positive interactions than negative once I passed my idiot days.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    It's good to hear someone passing along their positive interactions with LE. It happens daily but seems mostly the bad stories get out and about. I'm surprised you got away with it though, CSP is known for high percentage of citations. Be careful out there!
    Nobody was more surprised than I was. The guy seemed humored by my candor. I figured I did the deed, I am going to own it. Maybe he respected that?
    Last edited by j0ker; Fri May 13th, 2016 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by j0ker View Post
    Nobody was more surprised than I was. The guy seemed humored by my candor. I figured I did the deed, I am going to own it. Maybe he respected that?
    It probably helped quite a bit, honesty, respect, and taking responsibility for one's actions goes a long way with me.

I once stopped a couple kids for street racing each other. I had no intentions of writing them tickets, but talked to each. The first guy openly admitted it, shook his head, and said he was just trying to relieve some stress from the work week. I can understand that. I ran his license, and let him go in less than 4 minutes with a bit of a scare. The other kid wanted to tell me that he wasn't racing, and that I didn't see what I saw (And had on camera). This kid was flat out ADAMANT that he wasn't racing. He didn't get that I was right behind him following them. This kid watched me let the other guy go, but still wouldn't admit it, even after I told him I let the other guy go because he was honest. I was actually considering writing him the ticket, just because he wouldn't stop lying and wouldn't admit fault. He finally dropped his head and told me he was just out having fun. I gave his license back, chewed him out a bit, and let him go. But man he frustrated me, because I really didn't want to write a ticket haha.

Gotta own up but pretty cool from the cop to understand though.
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Aaron, your comment about CSP surprised me. I have had pretty good luck with the state. Granted I always pull over right away and am respectful but my cases were once coming in to Winter Park from the north the limit drops from 55 to 35 rather quickly and I was still doing about 62. after a little discussion he wrote it for 54 in a 35 so I could mail it in and not go back to Granby. Another time when I was living in Westminster my commute was 36 to 25 south. On the bike I would take the HOV lane and when the ramp from 36 to 25 was clear I would have a little fun. One day he was waiting at the bottom of the ramp, after the usual formalities he just gave me a warning. Then very recently in my truck I was doing maybe 67 in a 55 outside Franktown and I was not wearing my seat belt. After the formalities he said that he was going to cite me for the seat belt and please keep the speed down. I just said thank you, sir. I have noticed it helps on the sportbike when I take off my helmet and the officer sees that I am far from 20 something now.

Mo-Door.com - Contact me for CSC pricing

Mo-Door on: Twitter Facebook

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Real knows real.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

That cop looked like he was on valium. So chill.

Quote Originally Posted by longrider View Post
    Aaron, your comment about CSP surprised me. I have had pretty good luck with the state. Granted I always pull over right away and am respectful but my cases were once coming in to Winter Park from the north the limit drops from 55 to 35 rather quickly and I was still doing about 62. after a little discussion he wrote it for 54 in a 35 so I could mail it in and not go back to Granby. Another time when I was living in Westminster my commute was 36 to 25 south. On the bike I would take the HOV lane and when the ramp from 36 to 25 was clear I would have a little fun. One day he was waiting at the bottom of the ramp, after the usual formalities he just gave me a warning. Then very recently in my truck I was doing maybe 67 in a 55 outside Franktown and I was not wearing my seat belt. After the formalities he said that he was going to cite me for the seat belt and please keep the speed down. I just said thank you, sir. I have noticed it helps on the sportbike when I take off my helmet and the officer sees that I am far from 20 something now.
    Last time I got pulled over, I was doing 75 in a 55, but when I took my helmet off, the officer laughed, said "slow down and be careful," and started walking back to his car.

Sometimes it pays to be old as the hills.

How would you like to get roundhouse kicked with a motorcycle?

so we should wear a make up to look old and SPEEEED away
    No tickets YET this year *Knock on wood*

07 Audi S4 DTM
    06 CBR 1000rr

Quote Originally Posted by Zanatos View Post
    Last time I got pulled over, I was doing 75 in a 55, but when I took my helmet off, the officer laughed, said "slow down and be careful," and started walking back to his car.

Sometimes it pays to be old as the hills.
    LOL had that happen to me in Gilpin county as well. Officer looked at my greying hair and ATGATT leathers etc and said "it's obvious you are old enough to know better, I'm patrolling this stretch again at 3pm, don't be on it." and let me go.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

I get the slow down sign when I have the saddle bags on!