Thread: Camper talk

Camper talk

Im getting more and more serious about purchasing my first camper. My folks have always had campers so I am familiar with most everything but what im not sure about is quality.

Id like to get the most for my $$ but I dont want to buy a cheap camper with all the options if I can buy something thats built better will less luxuries.

Some of the cheaper ones look great but some of them also seem poorly put together.

What are the popular brands for people that like quality and why?
    Mo-Door.com - Contact me for CSC pricing

Mo-Door on: Twitter Facebook

Re: Camper talk

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter t_jolt's Avatar

EJ - what are you looking for? pop up campers ( which i personally prefer, but require more work) or full sized campers? Also how big? is it for you, wife and kids?
    Hit me up if you want to chat about it.

Tyrel
    Mitsujagvettecedes 1000RXTS GTR

Hand built by Jerry Garcia, Dan Gurney, Chuck Norris and Duntov's ghost. GT97 turbo,
    8WD, berilium pistons, titanium rods, unobtanium crank. Block forged from the dead souls of Mongol warriors. Depleted Uranium Dog box, Flubber tires, and stage 87 axles.

-1.07 @5.7c

Ezzy, like jolt indicated, need more info.
    popup vs hardside?
    How many people (2, 3, +)?
    How many seasons you gonna camp?
    How much weight can you tow?
    How spartan can you be or do you like a toilet and hot water?
    Used or new?
    Offroad vs paved rv parks?

I loved our Comet 12t for may reasons but had to move on.
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

Are you planning on going minimalist or need the luxuries of "glamping" like a hot shower and a/c?
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

I dont know why my response to Tyrel didnt post the other day... Weird.

Im probably going hard sided because of the space that im looking for. I have really started to look at the hybrid campers though. A little of both worlds.

It doesnt have to have all the bells an whistles but im sure the wife would be a little happier the more there was.

Family of 4 (2 kids under 6). Looking for used but thats kind of the issue im having. In looking at some of the new ones, they just seam cheaply made.

Go to Bandimere this weekend for a huge RV show and look at a bunch of them! Bandimere Speedway June 9-11 for the 7th Annual RV Blowout Sale.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    Go to Bandimere this weekend for a huge RV show and look at a bunch of them! Bandimere Speedway June 9-11 for the 7th Annual RV Blowout Sale.
    Yes! Thanks for the heads up.

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ezzzzy1 View Post
    It doesnt have to have all the bells an whistles but im sure the wife would be a little happier the more there was.
    I'm sure you know this by now, but do not underestimate the importance mama's happiness in this decision.
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

So, did you ever get something? Or decide on what you want? I can tell you, with little ones (2 and 4 here), having plenty of space inside is nice. You can want to be outside all the time, the real world of camping with kids is you do spend a lot of time inside. At least for us.

Even with all the space outdoors..... from this past weekend.

The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    I'm sure you know this by now, but do not underestimate the importance mama's happiness in this decision.
    You sound like you speak from experience!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    So, did you ever get something? Or decide on what you want? I can tell you, with little ones (2 and 4 here), having plenty of space inside is nice. You can want to be outside all the time, the real world of camping with kids is you do spend a lot of time inside. At least for us.

Even with all the space outdoors..... from this past weekend.

Not yet

I had a used one picked out but it was sold before I made my mind up. You have to move super quick on these things right now, especially if they are nice.

Its probably a good think that the last one fell through because im pretty focused on something with rear bunk beds and at least one slide.

You have a nice setup man!

Our first camper was a Keystone Passport ultralight. It wasn't top of the line, but the fit and finish were very good. The Passport line has a line called Grand Touring that were higher levels of amenities that are nice.

Our new trailer is an Open Range by Highland Ridge. It is a light model but it definitely has a nicer interior and features. It has heated tanks as well so that is more of a 3 season camper. And it has opposing slides in the kitchen area that make for a ,other more room. I wouldn't hesitate to buy either brand again but would definitely prefer this Open Range brand.

Keep in mind that most of the cqmpers will have the same furnaces, fridges, etc. The differences come down to construction techniques and materials. Look at many different brands and then choose the right floor plan for you.

We can keep the conversation going but im currently out of the market for a camper. We were hit super hard in the hail storm last Friday. Timing was weird and all three cars were outside. The RDX was supposed to be picked up later that night by the new owner and is now probably totaled. The other two cars have a significant amount of damage and the house needs new windows and roof - first estimate to the house is over $30k.

The kicker? I had pulled a camper to the house so that I could spend time going through everything. I dropped it on Friday morning and by 2:30 it was caught up in the mess as well. Pretty shitty for sure.

Im probably all in to deductibles for around $7k now

Man, that is a tough blow. Sorry to hear that ezzzzy. Know what would make you feel better? go camping.

Damn. Sorry man.

Insurance! What kind of deductibles do you carry?

Quote Originally Posted by Kristian View Post
    Insurance! What kind of deductibles do you carry?
    Shitty high ones. I honestly never thought I would see a day where I needed to file claims on more than one vehicle. Shitty to file three on auto and another on the house.

$1k on the auto and the house is 1% of the value.

They came back yesterday and told me thats its $32k of house damage, $6k of prperty, fixing my wifes car and totaling my RDX and Denali.

Shitty all around right now but life goes on.

ouch

That sucks serious donkey dick EJ. Sorry to hear.

Anyone own a THOR camper? They appear to be solid
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy View Post
    That sucks serious donkey dick EJ. Sorry to hear.

Anyone own a THOR camper? They appear to be solid
    Our toyhauler is a Transport by Tahoe. Which is a division of Thor America. I think everything is built by Thor or Keystone. Read a few things on that a while back, but don't remember the details. The jist of it was that there are really only two camper makers.
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

Thor, as a company, owns a large number of brands including Airstream, Keystone and Dutchmen. They also produce a line of Thor-branded motorhomes. Is the camper you're looking at actually branded as Thor?

http://www2.thorindustries.com/operating-entities

Yep, but RV rather than camper. Outlaw is only RV I can find with a garage. Class C for me.
    John
    KTM Duke 690