Thread: Anyone have a trailer tongue weight scale?

Anyone have a trailer tongue weight scale?

I am trying to get the weight on my hitch. Looked at the method of using a bathroom scale and levers, just seems to be a PITA and not as accurate as a real scale.

Does anyone know where you can rent them in the DEN COS area? I don't want to buy one, not sure I would use it enough to justify a purchase.

Any other ideas on how you can accurately measure just the weight on the tongue? I know you can use the big CAT scales, but would have to weight everything, disconnect, weight the trailer etc, seems like the line of truckers would get pissed about that.
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

Gold Member

Re: Anyone have a trailer tongue weight scale?

scale in your bathroom probably only goes up to 300 pounds. not sure why you are trying to weigh this but a quick way I guess would be use the truck stop. pull just the vehicle on. not the trailer. pull off then pay for your scale. disconnect from the trailer reweighing just the vehicle. subtract the weights and there you go. plus a reweigh is cheaper.

again what are you trying to gain at this weigh?

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    scale in your bathroom probably only goes up to 300 pounds. not sure why you are trying to weigh this but a quick way I guess would be use the truck stop. pull just the vehicle on. not the trailer. pull off then pay for your scale. disconnect from the trailer reweighing just the vehicle. subtract the weights and there you go. plus a reweigh is cheaper.

again what are you trying to gain at this weigh?
    That seems pretty easy. Here's a pic https://www.etrailer.com/faq-how-to-...ue-weight.aspx about halfway down
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

asp is right. It works but I don't have a level area near the house I can build out the system. And it isn't as accurate as a straight forward tongue scale.

To answer townies other Q, its to determine how much weight is on the tongue vs axles. If the camper needs weight shifted backwards to reduce the weight up front. Balanced tows better and there are weight limits on hitches etc.
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

Gold Member

if you pull on the scales just right you should be able to get steer and drive in one scale. making sure you arent pulling too much weight off the front end and risk loosing steering.

what are you towing and what are you using to tow with? if this is going to be a common situation might want to think of either upgrading vehicles and or suspension.

Ram 3500 towing a my TT.

What do you mean by " if this is going to be a common situation" ? I tow my camper, just trying to determine the tongue weight.

Gold Member

I wouldn't even waste the time. thats not enough weight to even make that truck think about it. just my opinion. I was thinking you got a new camper or something and were trying to balance the weight because you were squatting.

if you are hauling heavy yeah making sure the weight is balanced will affect the ride. but if you are using a twin axle trailer you probably won't even know it's back there unless you check your mirrors. lol

WD is pretty important. I tow mine with an F350 and definitely feel difference on the steering. My first couple of trips weren't great because it was light on the front. One more link tighter on the bars made a world of difference. The EQ hitch isnt quite as easy to adjust, but spending time on it is important.

Gold Member

wait. by TT are you talking about the Audi or a bumper pull trailer?

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    wait. by TT are you talking about the Audi or a bumper pull trailer?
    Travel trailer

Gold Member

hahaha when someone says TT I instantly think of Audi. sorry. lol.

are you bagged on your rear springs?