• For Sure

6 54.55%
  • No Way

0 0%
  • Could Care less

5 45.45%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Re: Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor

Sounds good meng!
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Anyone coming? Got to Barns but nobody here. I just broke into house and ordered the fight

all alone..... This is odd.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    Anyone coming? Got to Barns but nobody here. I just broke into house and ordered the fight

all alone..... This is odd.
    I respect this move... it's bold and I respect bold.

I'm out of town for work so I bought it on my PS4.

first fight truly reminded why I hate boxing. lol

Gold Member

so no talk about the fight? thoughts?

LMAO.... You broke in and ordered the fight while he was gone? Too funny.

Man, I could not have have called that fight any better. The long slow beatdown to TKO..... boring. I did like how Connor had his hands down and was blocking with his face near the end.

Good fight. Props to Conor for the first 3 rounds. Floyd looked good ducking and defending shots and took it over from there. Glad Floyd showed the experience and skill he has despite being 40 and showcased what a pro boxer he is. He carried himself well after the fight and sounded grateful and professional in the after the fight interview.

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    so no talk about the fight? thoughts?
    So what did you think of main fight Townie? No contest it was more exciting than the three pre fights right?

Quote Originally Posted by j0ker View Post
    LMAO.... You broke in and ordered the fight while he was gone? Too funny.

Man, I could not have have called that fight any better. The long slow beatdown to TKO..... boring. I did like how Connor had his hands down and was blocking with his face near the end.
    Really??? In my opinion that was the best boxing match I can remember ever.....old Tyson days is only thing that compared to me!!!! The first 3 boxing matches were super boring and I could just not get into them. Yet the Conor vs Floyd fight was so action packed and had me on the seat of my chair the entire time. I've seen quite a few Mayweather fights and I feel Conor did as well if not better than the pro boxers he has faced....and did it in a way more exciting fashion! I know the group at Barn's was super pumped and half the complex heard us cheering....good times.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiutis View Post
    Good fight. Props to Conor for the first 3 rounds. Floyd looked good ducking and defending shots and took it over from there. Glad Floyd showed the experience and skill he has despite being 40 and showcased what a pro boxer he is. He carried himself well after the fight and sounded grateful and professional in the after the fight interview.
    Yeah showed the boxing experience came through in the end and also why Floyd is considered the greatest boxer ever (he passed the record set by Rocky Marciano; 50-0). He took the shots I thought Conor would KO him with, then just waited till Conor gassed and took over. I was very impressed with both of them and their sportsmanship after the fight.

Gold Member

I loved the fight where the guy just gave up because he got a couple of love taps on the back of the head. it was like dude.... get the fuck up. nope I quit. lol!!! I was truly reminded why I hate boxing during the first fight.

main event? went exactly how I called it. Conor came out hard and fast against the number one defensive boxer of all times and gassed himself quick. but with that said I was truly starting to wonder if Conor autopilot was going to kick in and we were going to see a rear naked choke or something like that. almost got a good hip throw in. lol

it was entertaining for sure but I won't be watching another one any time soon.

I loved the fight where the guy just gave up because he got a couple of love taps on the back of the head. it was like dude.... get the fuck up. nope I quit. lol!!! I was truly reminded why I hate boxing during the first fight.

main event? went exactly how I called it. Conor came out hard and fast against the number one defensive boxer of all times and gassed himself quick. but with that said I was truly starting to wonder if Conor autopilot was going to kick in and we were going to see a rear naked choke or something like that. almost got a good hip throw in. lol

lol...I said the same thing; wtf you gave up on those hits.....damn boxing is so boring to me compared to UFC. Agreed and made me realize why I don't watch boxing anymore.

I think it was some crazy rule they put in where if Conor did anything crazy he would lose 90% of his purse. You could tell during those first few rounds he was being super careful about it. I actually felt Floyd was playing it up a bit by turning his back; was glad when ref finally let Conor hit him when Floyd turned.

We will see, but to me boxing is dead and I will be surprised if they ever get a fight this big or even as big as Manny vs Floyd fight. Who knows maybe some new star will come in, but even the guys they have now are good, but don't get the popularity of Floyd or Manny. It makes me wonder if this fight will get any hardcore boxing fans to go check out UFC now because if they thought Conor was exciting boxing, he is way more exciting in MMA.

I was also waiting for a mistaken kick or take down. That would have been exciting.

I was also waiting for a mistaken kick or take down. That would have been exciting.
    You guys need to keep up....he would literally ruin his entire career if he did that....they made sure with this:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...her/477881001/

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/8/1...mmel-las-vegas

So if Conor made $100 million, he would have lost $90 million and probably lose both his boxing and mma license.

For the people who think Conor didn't do well compared to other competitors, check out the stats:

Punches landed against Mayweather:

Canelo: 117
    McGregor: 111
    Pacquiao: 81

McGregor landed more power punches than Pacquiao landed total punches. He was more accurate than Canelo Alvarez and landed more power punches.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/08/cono...canelo-alvarez

Last edited by bulldog; Mon Aug 28th, 2017 at 09:35 AM.

Wan't going to watch the fight... Ended up watching the fight (amazing what you can find on the interwebz)...

Went exactly as I figured it would. I don't think CM did a bad job at all. I also think he did a better job than FM could have had the roles been reversed and FM climbed into an MMA ring.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Gold Member

You guys need to keep up....he would literally ruin his entire career if he did that....they made sure with this:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...her/477881001/

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/8/1...mmel-las-vegas

So if Conor made $100 million, he would have lost $90 million and probably lose both his boxing and mma license.

bro those hammer fists weren't exactly boxing. and he damn near hip threw Mayweather in the sixth I think. muscle memory is muscle memory. if the ref wouldn't have stopped it I guarantee Mayweather would have been thrown at some point. Conors auto pilot was in full affect.

but yeah he did super good. I'm happy for the dude and don't think he should be down about a thing. he gave a great show and threw down. truly what more could you ask for in a boxing match?

hey while we are talking about boxing have you seen the latest Rocky movie?

bro those hammer fists weren't exactly boxing. and he damn near hip threw Mayweather in the sixth I think. muscle memory is muscle memory. if the ref wouldn't have stopped it I guarantee Mayweather would have been thrown at some point. Conors auto pilot was in full affect.

but yeah he did super good. I'm happy for the dude and don't think he should be down about a thing. he gave a great show and threw down. truly what more could you ask for in a boxing match?

hey while we are talking about boxing have you seen the latest Rocky movie?
    I agree and those hammer fists were very “borderline”, but the ref warned Conor and I don’t think he did it again. I do think it was partially to the fact that Floyd kept turning his back and ducking, but either way rules are rules. Yet on that note, we all know Floyd can play dirty too; I’m sure you saw the Ortiz fight. And the hits to the back of the head were not even that bad compared to the Gervonta Davis vs Francisco Fonseca; the entire crowd booed the winner and was clear the ref missed he hit to the back of the head that won the match. So seems like it is not uncommon even for regular boxers.

Honestly I’d rather watch that fight again ten times than have to watch the Manny vs Floyd one more time….it really was the most entertained I’ve been for a boxing match since Tyson bit Holyfield’s ear.

Hmmmm….is that newest one “Creed”? If so I want to say I saw it and loved it, but for some reason I can’t really remember it much….maybe I was having some beers when I watched it. I’ll try to go watch it again. Did you like it? I remember Rocky was the coach this time and Michael B. Jordan was the fighter.

The Manny -V- Floyd fight was a snoozer. Did not enjoy.

The Manny -V- Floyd fight was a snoozer. Did not enjoy.
    Agreed! Yet I don't get how you watched that boring fight, but then missed this awesome boxing match

Just like with UFC, you can never predict which fights are going to be good....some of the matches I was super excited for were boring....then others I thought were lame, ended up being fight of the night. I've learned to never judge based on what people/internet say and just make that decision for myself.

Gold Member

I agree and those hammer fists were very “borderline”, but the ref warned Conor and I don’t think he did it again. I do think it was partially to the fact that Floyd kept turning his back and ducking, but either way rules are rules. Yet on that note, we all know Floyd can play dirty too; I’m sure you saw the Ortiz fight. And the hits to the back of the head were not even that bad compared to the Gervonta Davis vs Francisco Fonseca; the entire crowd booed the winner and was clear the ref missed he hit to the back of the head that won the match. So seems like it is not uncommon even for regular boxers.

Honestly I’d rather watch that fight again ten times than have to watch the Manny vs Floyd one more time….it really was the most entertained I’ve been for a boxing match since Tyson bit Holyfield’s ear.

Hmmmm….is that newest one “Creed”? If so I want to say I saw it and loved it, but for some reason I can’t really remember it much….maybe I was having some beers when I watched it. I’ll try to go watch it again. Did you like it? I remember Rocky was the coach this time and Michael B. Jordan was the fighter.

yeah man that movie is pretty good. should check it out again.

Well Conor vs Floyd smashed the PPV record.....not to mention they are saying 3 million illegal streams that are not counted in the number. I don't think this is the official number, but pretty clear it beat the Manny vs Floyd who had held the record.

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor sets new pay-per-view record of 6.5million buys

Floyd Mayweather's stoppage victory over Conor McGregor set a new pay-per-view record of 6.5million buys, according to UFC president Dana White
    The previous record was 4.6m, set when Mayweather outpointed Manny Pacquiao two years ago.

Conor had better stats than other pro "boxers" versus Floyd, because Floyd was willing to engage and trade with him. When he's not willing to do that he's a far more defensive fighter and thus gets hit less.

Make no mistake- it was Floyd's decision to expose himself more (to danger) in this fight. He did this to please the crowd, but ultimately to box for a finish. Which he accomplished.
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    Conor had better stats than other pro "boxers" versus Floyd, because Floyd was willing to engage and trade with him. When he's not willing to do that he's a far more defensive fighter and thus gets hit less.

Make no mistake- it was Floyd's decision to expose himself more (to danger) in this fight. He did this to please the crowd, but ultimately to box for a finish. Which he accomplished.
    Another hater…..and a MMA fan at that! Lol

Well it could also be argued (and is online) that Floyd did not have a choice because his normal style would not have worked well with Conor; especially as a lefty (most of Floyd’s recent opponents were orthodox boxers). Floyd even did an interview since then stating that he was surprised by Conor’s boxing skills and he did try to turn it up for the first few rounds but couldn’t and had to change his gameplan as they figured it would not go past 6 rounds, but his boxing was better than they anticipated. Maybe he was just being nice, but getting a compliment from Floyd on boxing skills shows he is better than most people gave him credit for.

He’s a hell of a fighter standing up — he kind of shocked me,” Mayweather said during the post-fight press conference (via MMA Junkie).

I do agree with you that Floyd boxed differently and trying for a KO rather than outbox Conor and this made a difference, but not sure why so many people want to discount that Conor’s stats did beat the two opponents that were closest to beating Floyd; Manny and Canelo….and he did it in 10 rounds vs 12!

People can say what they want, but Mayweather was in some danger (more than we have ever seen him) in those first few rounds and nobody just takes hits for fun….especially when it is a guy known for power like Conor. I just feel it’s another excuse boxers can make to act like their sport is still dominate over MMA in standup instead of admitting Conor did better than they expected.

Either way we will see what Conelo vs GGG does next month…..my bet is not even half the PPV….boxing is dead now!

P.S. Barn did not even watch the 3 boxing matches that were on prior to the main fight anyways.....you are no boxing fan homey! Support our MMA guy and stop discounting him!

#doublepost
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Gold Member

but barn does bring up a good point. Mayweather didn't fight his normal. I wouldn't really agree it's because how good Conor is. there is plenty of times in that fight it was clear Conor wasn't a boxer. including the end result. not saying Conor isn't tough as fuck because clearly the man's a monster. just saying I knew from day one that Conor was never going to win that fight. I gave him a million to one chance of a lucky strick.

it would have the same results as a wrestling champion trying to win a boxing match or vise versa. if Mayweather stepped in the cage I'd throw everything I owned on Conor winning the fight.

a well balanced cage fighter would never stand a chance against a pure professional of just one art. it's what they do. all day every day. hell Michael Jordan was an amazing basketball player.... couldn't play baseball for shit. lol

but barn does bring up a good point. Mayweather didn't fight his normal. I wouldn't really agree it's because how good Conor is. there is plenty of times in that fight it was clear Conor wasn't a boxer. including the end result. not saying Conor isn't tough as fuck because clearly the man's a monster. just saying I knew from day one that Conor was never going to win that fight. I gave him a million to one chance of a lucky strick.

it would have the same results as a wrestling champion trying to win a boxing match or vise versa. if Mayweather stepped in the cage I'd throw everything I owned on Conor winning the fight.

a well balanced cage fighter would never stand a chance against a pure professional of just one art. it's what they do. all day every day. hell Michael Jordan was an amazing basketball player.... couldn't play baseball for shit. lol
    This is exactly why so many people knew the outcome of this fight. Mayweather has lived boxing all his life. Conor had a chance to win in a boxing forum, but that chance was SO slim as to not even matter. Reverse those rolls and throw Mayweather into a cage, and, I am with #1Townie, Conor would dominate Mayweather. Also, it will never happen, as Mayweather damn well knows he would get his ass handed to him.