Thread: Red light law

Board Newbie

Red light law

I saw this on another forum, does anyone know if this is accurate? My google-fu is failing me. When you are on your motorcycle and you wait for the light to change and it doesn't, can you legally run it? This assumes no other traffic and you don't just pull out into the intersection, like 4:00 AM and there is nobody in your neighbor awake yet.

Colorado: 42-4-612, if the light is malfunctioning or stays steady red during "several time cycles" the rules for entering a street or highway from a stop street or highway apply (treat it like a stop sign).

I've found this but I don't know if not registering a motorcycle is grounds for a malfunctioning light.

42-4-612. When signals are inoperative or malfunctioning.(1) Whenever a driver approaches an intersection and faces a traffic control signal which is inoperative or which remains on steady red or steady yellow during several time cycles, the rules controlling entrance to a through street or highway from a stop street or highway, as provided under section 42-4-703, shall apply until a police officer assumes control of traffic or until normal operation is resumed. In the event that any traffic control signal at a place other than an intersection should cease to operate or should malfunction as set forth in this section, drivers may proceed through the inoperative or malfunctioning signal only with caution, as if the signal were one of flashing yellow.

Why can't I just get to the track?

Re: Red light law

Yes you can treat it as a stop sign if the light fails to register the motorcycle and change.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Yes you can treat it as a stop sign if the light fails to register the motorcycle and change.
    Good to know...thanks.

FYI: I believe Aaron is a police officer so his advice is legit.

I know I've put my kickstand down and that has changed the light for me. Anyone have any tips?
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Gold Member

those few times it happened to me I would just say screw it and make a right and just double back. just in case.

seen guys jump off their bikes and hit the crosswalk button as well. but usually just bouncing or coming to a hard stop was enough to trigger the light.

Here is good link on how they work and some tips; lowering the kickstand was on there http://www.wikihow.com/Trigger-Green-Traffic-Lights

This one is interesting and think at one time someone tried it on the board:

Try a neodymium magnet. Attempt to boost the electromagnetic detection of your small vehicle in an inductive loop system by attaching a small, powerful magnet to the underside of your motorcycle or bike.
    • Note that many find that this method is not very effective, though others have shown that it may make a difference when the magnet is moved over the loop detector at a slow speed rather than standing still.[5]
    • Take care in handling powerful magnets like neodymium magnets. They can interfere with pacemakers, electronic devices, and navigation systems. They can be harmful if they collide and break, corrode, or pinch fingers and other body parts.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you get a ticket, the burden of proving the light is malfunctioning is on you. And this can be tricky, but generally I'd advise going back the next day with a video camera. Or, reason #842 to ride with a GoPro.

Most cops will be fairly understanding if you explain that, and there was no one else around.

I wrote a lady a ticket one time for blowing a red light on a left turn. There were cars all around, it was like 7 or 8 at night, she just didn't want to wait to turn left. My city had not installed a yield to turn solid green there because of the high accident levels and high speeds (It's a 55mph highway intersection). She said the light was broken and she had waited several cycles. After writing her I drove back around and it changed first cycle. She lost in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post

I wrote a lady a ticket one time for blowing a red light on a left turn. There were cars all around, it was like 7 or 8 at night, she just didn't want to wait to turn left. My city had not installed a yield to turn solid green there because of the high accident levels and high speeds (It's a 55mph highway intersection). She said the light was broken and she had waited several cycles. After writing her I drove back around and it changed first cycle. She lost in court.
    Would that have been different if she was on a motorcycle; since they seem to not trigger the sensors as well as a car. Guess you could have a motorcycle cop test it, but even then it could be because some of these sportbikes are so light (or have little steel). Just curious....and to make discussion

All traffic light sensors are inductive coil (metal detector) or cameras. No weight sensors.
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

Quote Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean View Post
    All traffic light sensors are inductive coil (metal detector) or cameras. No weight sensors.
    Yeah bad wording on my part....the less metal on sportbike must not complete the "loop" as well as a car.

I read somewhere years ago that the magnets off of hard drives are some of the strongest magnets commonly available. I bought 4 of them and put them on my exhaust and it seems to work for the stoplights that are controlled with coils.

I feel like it has made a difference.
    Mo-Door.com - Contact me for CSC pricing

Mo-Door on: Twitter Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Ezzzzy1 View Post
    I read somewhere years ago that the magnets off of hard drives are some of the strongest magnets commonly available. I bought 4 of them and put them on my exhaust and it seems to work for the stoplights that are controlled with coils.

I feel like it has made a difference.
    Is this seriously true?

Quote Originally Posted by j0ker View Post
    Is this seriously true?
    Theoretically yes. Dunno the sensitivity of the road coils and how much magnetic force you'd need but, a magnet passing a coil of wire produces an electric charge and change in measured impedance on the coil. Ferrous metal does a similar thing in larger quantities. So a car with lots of non-stainless steel interacts nicely with a coil of wire in a reverse electromagnet fashion. Would have to study the road coils used to see if they're looking for a change in impedance vs current produced. I would guess measuring impedance would be cheaper. Sportbikes, in addition to lower total mass have as few as possible ferrous steel (heavier) parts to interact with electromagnetism.
    "On a cycle the frame is gone. You're completely in contact with it all. You're in the scene, not just watching it anymore, and the sense of presence is overwhelming.” Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by Okrapp View Post
    Theoretically yes. Dunno the sensitivity of the road coils and how much magnetic force you'd need but, a magnet passing a coil of wire produces an electric charge and change in measured impedance on the coil. Ferrous metal does a similar thing in larger quantities. So a car with lots of non-stainless steel interacts nicely with a coil of wire in a reverse electromagnet fashion. Would have to study the road coils used to see if they're looking for a change in impedance vs current produced. I would guess measuring impedance would be cheaper. Sportbikes, in addition to lower total mass have as few as possible ferrous steel (heavier) parts to interact with electromagnetism.
    I feel like this is a Reddit TIL. Thanks for the awesome answer. I have been wondering about this all day.

Yeah, what Okrapp said.

I should add that the magnets are not on my exhaust but are on the mid-pipe between the header and can.

These would do the trick
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-6-Lar...cAAOSwtnpXn7Aq

If you post on Reddit share the link, I would like to follow the conversation.

I placed magnets on my oil filter and oil drain plug. Not sure how good they work on the bike but I put some on my mustang a few years ago when I worked downtown I did notice that the lights would change faster.

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Hmm... I wonder if this would help activate the outbound gate at my place (?). Right now the gates never open for me on my bikes when I leave and I need to wait for a car to come to set it off. This seriously sucks late at night when it's minutes between vehicles. Especially outbound.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    Hmm... I wonder if this would help activate the outbound gate at my place (?). Right now the gates never open for me on my bikes when I leave and I need to wait for a car to come to set it off. This seriously sucks late at night when it's minutes between vehicles. Especially outbound.
    Depends on what triggers the gate. If its weight, youre screwed. If its an electric field it will probably help.

Whether it's a gate or traffic light, it's never based on weight. It's always a simple loop of wire that works just like a basic metal detector...not enough steel on a modern sportbike to trigger some of them. There are claims that a strong magnet will help, and it can't hurt to have the extra protection of a magnet on your filter/plug to catch any steel particles in the oil.
    --Dave
    2013 Honda VFR 1200F
    2014 Honda VFR800-SOLD
    2007 Honda VFR800-SOLD

2004 Kawasaki KLX300R

NO COP NO STOP

If the traffic light sensor is inductive (i.e., loop of wire in the pavement), a good trick is to kill & restart your bike. An electric motor works by a combination of magnetic & electric field. The magnetic field created by firing your starter motor changes the inductance of the loop enough to trigger the sensor. Works for me, anyway.