Thread: Painted my brake calipers

Painted my brake calipers

Anyone else ever painted their brakes before? On my last vehicle I painted my calipers with the G2 paint and they turned out ok. This time I opted for the VHT spray paint and I'm very happy with the results. Here are some pics and my process...

Driver's side before:

Passenger side before:

Passenger side with wheel off. Caliper is dirty and faded. Face is dark and you can barely read the logo:

Sprayed with VHT Brake Cleaner and wiped off surface dirt. Sanded with 220 grit sandpaper. Used a wire brush bit on my drill to get hard to reach places and the Brembo and Land Rover logos on the top of the caliper:

Masked off the rubber caps, brake pads and clip, and where the caliper meets the rotor with painters tape. Then stretched a trash bag over the caliper to cover the rest. Used a plastic drop cloth to mask off the wheel well and side of truck. Sprayed 3 coats of VHT primer, 10 minutes apart:

Sprayed 3 coats of VHT red, also 10 minutes between coats:

Waited 1 hour for it to dry, then added the decals:

Sprayed 3 coats of VHT clear coat, 10 minutes apart. Waited about 20 minutes then removed all masking:

All finished!

Not bad for a half days work and about $60 in supplies.
    Asphalt - Worlds' fastest tattoo remover

Re: Painted my brake calipers

Nice car.

Why didn't it come with big shiny red calipers? Those things aren't cheap.
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

I like your ride!

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Strong work!
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Saw your post on the rover forum . Just picket up a rrs recently as well. Brakes look nice
    -Travis-

Great job. Brembos look nice.

So I assume the "Range Rover" calipers are truly Brembo brakes? The rims say "Land Rover" so not sure exactly what vehicle this is

I know the Jeep SRT comes with Brembo, but they have the logo on them, so odd that these do not....
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Thanks all! Yes the calipers are real Brembos. For some reason Land Rover decided to give them a poor finish and to put the Range Rover logo on them at the factory. I believe the only exception was the 2012-2013 GT model came with red Brembos. And of course it's now available on the new models.
    Asphalt - Worlds' fastest tattoo remover

I painted the calipers on my Camaro with caliper paint I bought at Advanced Auto. Probably not the best kit, but it came out o.k. Mine wasn't spray on, it was brush on. Which I didn't care for as I could seem to get all of the brush strokes out of the paint. When it cured it looked better but once up close you could somewhat see it. Was fun to try and do once, won't ever do it again.

Yours came out very nice.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."