Thread: CBR 1000RR question, good for riding 1 up?

CBR 1000RR question, good for riding 1 up?

Been thinking about upgrading my GSXR 750 for a liter bike, like a CBR. Or just changing sprockets to make it feel more like a liter bike at least. A large part of the equation will have to deal with how comfortable it would be to ride with a passenger.

My question for those who have experience: is it a decent bike to ride 1 up with a passenger? My wife prefers the body position on the R6 although there's a piece of the fairing that then digs into her ankle, the GSXR rides high up for her. How is a CBR for passengers? Both seating position (which we can obviously try out sitting on it), but my other concern is the exhaust that's under the rear cowl. Would that make the seat too hot, or easier for a passenger to burn their leg?

Just want any opinions I can find on here if I can before I waste anyones time including our own

Present: 2006 GSXR 750 (black/yellow), 2006 Yamaha R6r (blue)
    Sold: 2011 Ninja 250 (green/black), 2007 R6s (blue)

Re: CBR 1000RR question, good for riding 1 up?

Honestly, if I were going to recommend a bike for two, I'd say get a cruiser. Tons of nice bikes out there in the cruiser category. From my experience with riding a sportbike and having a lady on the back, is it's not comfortable by any means. No sportbike will help in the comfort for two. Sure a 1000cc will help being it's a bit bigger and with the power being able to move two people. Then again a 600cc has plenty of power for two. You're right the consensus is that under seat exhaust are very hot. I remember when the 2004 R1 came out with that nice underseat exhaust. Everyone loved it until they did a long ride with it. Then it started to cook them.

If you have to go with a Sportbike. Get one that the exhaust is well away from the passenger and not under the seat.

That being said, the only sportbike I would recommend for two people is the Hayabusa. I owned one and that thing was a caddy on open roads. The extra 100lbs over my Gixxer's really showed in terms of stability and ride. It also was able to absorb the typical bumps and cracks in the road very easily. My Gixxer's I can tell when I roll over a leaf on the ground, that's how they hard they ride. My Hayabusa I had was very comfortable on a long ride. Now compared to my 1200 Sportster I had, it wasn't even in the same league in terms of being comfortable. My Sportster is the only bike I've ever owned when I got off it, I was more relaxed and fresh than when I threw my leg over it before a long ride. Yes it was slow and couldn't perform but it sure was comfortable.

Which is why I'm thinking of finally selling my GSX-R1000. After riding all these years I've come to the realization that a Sportbike's place belongs on the track. And riding to work is the work for a cruiser. Now since I gave up track riding this year, and only road my bike to work a little bit, I absolutely hate it. It's like taking a multi Kentucky derby thoroughbred winner and using it to plow fields. Sure the horse can do it and do the job well, but it was meant for so much more. Which is where a nice cruiser comes into play. That's their job, made to just loaf along through traffic without much fanfare.

My advice is get a cruiser. Or I'll sell you my Gixxer for cheap. Even still have the passenger seat that came with it.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

No on cbr liter. Or any sports bike imo. Passenger seat on sports bikes are just so the company can sell more .

If you are looking for sportbike performance that can also carry a passenger check out the KTM 1290 Duke GT. I have been riding that bike for a bit now and it is a great compromise.
    Owner and General Manager - Fun Center Cycles in Durango, CO

11 BMW S1000RR - Street - Lady on the street
    13 Kawi ZX6R - Track - Freak in the bed
    13 Triumph Daytona 675R - Wifes bike

2014 MRA 400 Production Class Champion

Basically the same as the Hayabusa recommendation above, but a ZX-14 is way more comfortable than any of the standard super sports. If you want any real difference I think you are going to have to look outside the standard super sports.

I know it doesn't really show the overall ergonomics or any passenger differences, but they are all close. None of them are really built with 2 up riding in mind.
    Blair
    2000 GSX750F, 2003 YZ450F, 2004 GSXR750, 2006 ZX-14
    2013 CBR500R, 2016 YZF-R6 - MRA #760

Quote Originally Posted by blaircsf View Post
    Basically the same as the Hayabusa recommendation above, but a ZX-14 is way more comfortable than any of the standard super sports. If you want any real difference I think you are going to have to look outside the standard super sports.

I know it doesn't really show the overall ergonomics or any passenger differences, but they are all close. None of them are really built with 2 up riding in mind.
    My 14 is real comfy for 1 up but, like any super sport, you add a extra rider and they don't have much to hold onto.

I have the cbr1000rr, and i did alot to make it more comfy for both me and the passenger, 100 miles isn't bad for a passenger, but over that they will be hurting. 1 up i can get a good 400 to 500 miles before getting too sore. if you 2 up more then 10% of the time, get a cruiser, or if she really likes to ride, get her a 250.
    "On my steel horse I ride"
    2013 CBR1000RR, 20769 Miles

Quote Originally Posted by CBR-Cowboy View Post
    I have the cbr1000rr, and i did alot to make it more comfy for both me and the passenger, 100 miles isn't bad for a passenger, but over that they will be hurting. 1 up i can get a good 400 to 500 miles before getting too sore. if you 2 up more then 10% of the time, get a cruiser, or if she really likes to ride, get her a 250.
    250 or a nice little 500, that is good advice. I own a VStar and before I met my girlfriend I hardly ever rode it. It's the only bike she wants to ride when we go out, mainly due to comfort. I don't blame her. Riding on the back of the VStar is like sitting on a recliner with a drink that has a little umbrella in it, compared to the back of my ZX14 which is like a turbo charged teetertoter with no handgrips. Being 2 up, cruisers or something like the Concours up to a GoldWing are what you want for mid to long range road trips, period.

If you have the space, keep the GSXR and look for an older sport tourer like a Honda ST or a Yami FJR. I picked up an ST1100 this year for cheap and it doesn't suck. Handles better than you'd think. Saddlebags and a windscreen make it a good commuter and I can take the wife out for a weekend ride. Subjective side benefit, after I ride the Honda all week getting on the Aprilia feels like getting on a middleweight dirt bike.

Well nobody has addressed your other questions…changing sprockets.

I did this on all my 600CC’s and highly recommend it unless you consistently go over 140mph My 600RR was re-geared (sprockets) to I believe -1 in front and +3 in rear and I lost top end speed; 160mph to about 140mph, but the lower end power I gained was huge. Most bikes the speedometer will not be accurate, but they sell tools that correct it….I recommend this so you can keep your true mileage (and of course speed). The difference it made for riding one up was very noticeable since you gain torque. I rode for years with 1000cc bikes on my re-geared 600 and never once had problems keeping up. If you want to save some money and give your bike massive more low end power I suggest trying it out if you never have.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!