Thread: Boxing PPV vs UFC PPV #'s

Boxing PPV vs UFC PPV #'s

So I know there has been talk on this forum how UFC does not bring in the PPV numbers boxing does. I’ve always said this was only because of two people; Mayweather and Pacquiao. Without these two big names I have been skeptical if boxing could keep this up……well we had a highly anticipated showdown between light heavyweights Sergey Kovalev and Andre Ward last weekend. Let’s compare this to the last UFC PPV.

Sergey Kovalev and Andre Ward = 160,000 PPV views http://www.badlefthook.com/2016/11/2...60000-ppv-buys
    Alvarez vs McGregor (UFC 205) = 1.8 million views http://mmajunkie.com/2016/11/ok-ufc-...ll-the-records

Unless boxing can bring in some huge stars suddenly I am very skeptical that boxing will ever be able to beat UFC cards now. These two boxers were two of the top five guys and if they could not bring in the PPV buys I am not sure boxing is going to survive without Mayweather and Pacquiao. I mean 160K PPV for a championship fight is really bad!

I was a huge boxing fan for years, but have converted over to UFC since the beginning of the sport and just find it more entertaining than boxing.

Any huge boxing fans that could shed some light on what they think?

P.S. No debate here, just thought we needed a discussion that was not political
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Re: Boxing PPV vs UFC PPV #'s

Nothing

Like two post in 2 days for entire site....CSC is slowly dying like boxing

I agree that the site is dying, the CSC Facebook group has more activity than here but it is still nothing like the old CSC from years ago. I made no comment here as I am not into either sport but I did find your PPV comparison interesting. One question on that, how do the prices compare? I know when I see a $50 PPV I very quickly lose interest no matter how much I am into the subject of the PPV

Quote Originally Posted by longrider View Post
    I agree that the site is dying, the CSC Facebook group has more activity than here but it is still nothing like the old CSC from years ago. I made no comment here as I am not into either sport but I did find your PPV comparison interesting. One question on that, how do the prices compare? I know when I see a $50 PPV I very quickly lose interest no matter how much I am into the subject of the PPV
    I just don’t get it…what major change happened where we went from hundreds of members that posted down to just a handful. It really puzzles me because this used to be a strong site, but now only a few members even come on here and it’s odd because with sportbike riding growing in popularity we should be getting new members regularly. I know I don’t post enough sportbike related content nowadays, but I did for years and now that the torch has been passed to younger riders I would think they would be all over the sportbike stuff. I just don’t follow it closely enough nowadays like I did for most my younger years. I wish we could get the site back a little bit to at least have some participation, but at this point I am just waiting till there is not enough funding and the site goes down for good

Thanks for participating Longrider

Good question: The boxing and UFC PPV’s price is pretty similar (unless it is a Mayweather or Manny, as they raise those to as high as $100+). As far as I have seen ALL UFC PPV events are the same price.

Kovalev vs. Ward PPV
    The PPV, which is distributed by HBO, starts Saturday night at 9 p.m. ET and costs $59.99 for standard definition or $69.99 for high definition, though it may vary slightly depending on your cable provider.

UFC
    The PPV costs $59.99 for high definition, and $49.99 for standard definition

I agree though those prices are crazy and that is why a few of us get together and chip in or end up meeting at a bar that shows them; newest spot has been the Hooters at Park Meadows….join us one day man, a few old schoolers like Canuck (Jason), JMetz (Josh) and Barn go so you will know us J You don’t have to be into MMA, just come and have a beer or dinner…..or look at Hooters

So prices are pretty similar and with this last boxing match tanking it is not a good sign.

I know many people will say “hey it is not Mayweather or Manny” fighting so who cares. Yet these guys are basically retired now so boxing needs new stars. Looking at the resume of these two fighters it is impressive, but yet still brougt little attention to boxing:

Andre Ward, the former gold medalist, is 30-0 with 15 knockouts. Sergey Kovalev is 30-0-1 with 26 knockouts. Arguably the two best pound-for-pound boxers on the planet, they’ll clash on Saturday night in what is widely regarded as the most anticipated fight of the year.

If these two couldn’t bring in the numbers I am just not sure who in boxing can now then; undefeated gold medalist vs a 30-0 KO artist…..I am worried for boxing for sure.
    Last edited by bulldog; Thu Dec 1st, 2016 at 08:04 AM.

Gold Member

I think you hit the nail on the head; social media is killing forums! I am not deep into social media, don’t have a Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter, so I guess I never really thought how these have replaced forums, but it totally makes sense. Guess old me needs to get with the times, but just never been into social media and this forum is about as far as I have went.

Sad I did a little search on this and you appear right! All over they are saying this.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/offto...ying-31696710/

https://www.reddit.com/r/socialmedia..._forums_dying/

https://forums.digitalpoint.com/thre...dying.2785233/

Townie, nothing on boxing? I know you have been a guy to stick up for it in the past, so am I just being paranoid or does it seem to be dying without Floyd and Manny? Sergey Kovalev and Andre Ward have to be the biggest stars right now (Canelo Alvarez and Triple G too), so seeing how bad this last PPV #’s are scares me. I know I am a MMA fan, but I am a fan of boxing too and respect those guys, so not a derbate of which is better, but more if boxing seems in trouble.

Maybe too many belts/divisions?

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    I think you hit the nail on the head; social media is killing forums! I am not deep into social media, don’t have a Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter, so I guess I never really thought how these have replaced forums, but it totally makes sense. Guess old me needs to get with the times, but just never been into social media and this forum is about as far as I have went.

Sad I did a little search on this and you appear right! All over they are saying this.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/offto...ying-31696710/

https://www.reddit.com/r/socialmedia..._forums_dying/

https://forums.digitalpoint.com/thre...dying.2785233/

Townie, nothing on boxing? I know you have been a guy to stick up for it in the past, so am I just being paranoid or does it seem to be dying without Floyd and Manny? Sergey Kovalev and Andre Ward have to be the biggest stars right now (Canelo Alvarez and Triple G too), so seeing how bad this last PPV #’s are scares me. I know I am a MMA fan, but I am a fan of boxing too and respect those guys, so not a derbate of which is better, but more if boxing seems in trouble.

Maybe too many belts/divisions?
    oh I think you missed interpreted my posts before. boxing is about as fun for me to watch as grass growing. after some thought it took me a second to even understand why you would say this. lol.

me personally I'm surprised boxing lasted as long as it did. I think the last time I watched boxing was just because my brothers WANTED to see Tyson knock someone out but got wrecked. right before Tyson started his sweet downfall into crazy. lol

I just remember we had a conversation about money paid ufc vs boxing and it was boxing brought in more many through payperview or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    oh I think you missed interpreted my posts before. boxing is about as fun for me to watch as grass growing. after some thought it took me a second to even understand why you would say this. lol.

me personally I'm surprised boxing lasted as long as it did. I think the last time I watched boxing was just because my brothers WANTED to see Tyson knock someone out but got wrecked. right before Tyson started his sweet downfall into crazy. lol

I just remember we had a conversation about money paid ufc vs boxing and it was boxing brought in more many through payperview or something like that.
    Yeah I think I did misinterpret that you like boxing. Think your comment was more like “people still watch UFC, I had no idea”, so for some strange reason I thought you were into boxing instead…..my bad (I remember now you are into Hockey)

And yeah we had talked about the money brought in Boxing vs MMA and because of Mayweather/Manny PPV were bringing in more money, but like I said I think those days may be over with his retirement as I don’t see any stars taking their place now; those four I mentioned above were the best hope for boxing I felt (maybe Tyson Fury). With 160K views on this last boxing match it is no comparison to the 4,600,000 views from them Mayweather vs Pacquiao fight. So where does that leave boxing…..sounds like a slow death.

These Numbers are Crazy and pretty much Mayweather or Tyson:

Highest Grossing Boxing PPV Fights Of All Times
    1 Mayweather vs Pacquiao (May 2015) 4,600,000 $410 million
    2 Mayweather vs Canelo Alvarez (September 2013) 2,200,000 $150 million
    3 Mayweather vs Oscar De La Hoya (May 2007) 2,480,000 $136 million
    4 Mike Tyson vs Evander Holyfield II (June 1997) 1,990,000 $100.2 million
    5 Mike Tyson vs Lennox Lewis (June 2002) 1,950,000 $112 million
    6 Mike Tyson vs Evander Holyfield I (November 1996) 1,590,000 $77.9 million
    7 Mike Tyson vs Peter McNeeley (August 1995) 1,550,000 $96 million
    8 Mayweather vs Shane Mosely (May 2010) 1,400,000 $94 million
    9 Oscar De La Hoya vs Felix Trinidad (September 1999)
    http://www.totalsportek.com/money/hi...-of-all-times/

UFC’s Highest Grossing PPV Events Of All Times
    # UFC MAIN-EVENT PPV SOLD GROSS REVENUE
    1 UFC 100 (Jul 2009) Lesnar vs Mir 1,600,000 $82 Million
    1 UFC 194 (Dec 2015) McGregor vs Aldo 1,400,000 $90 Million
    2 UFC 116 (Jul 2010) Lesnar vs Carwin 1,116,000 $55 million
    3 UFC 158 (Mar 2013) St-Pierre vs Diaz 1,110,000 $48 million+
    4 UFC 168 (Dec 2013) Weidman vs Silva 2 1,110,000 $53 million+
    1 UFC 193 (Nov 2015) Rousey vs Holm 1,100,000 $60 Million
    5 UFC 66 (Dec 2006) Liddell vs Ortiz II 1,050,000 $53 million+
    6 UFC 121 (Oct 2010) Lesnar vs Velasquez 1,050,000 $45 million+
    7 UFC 91 (Nov 200 Lesnar vs Couture 1,010,000 $47 million+
    8 UFC 92 (Dec 200 Griffin-Evans & Silva-Rampage 1,000,000
    9 UFC 148 (Jul 2012) Silva vs Sonnen II 1,000,000
    10 UFC 94 (Jan 2009) St-Pierre vs Penn 2 920,000
    http://www.totalsportek.com/money/hi...-of-all-times/

I just don’t get it…what major change happened where we went from hundreds of members that posted down to just a handful. It really puzzles me because this used to be a strong site, but now only a few members even come on here and it’s odd because with sportbike riding growing in popularity we should be getting new members regularly. I know I don’t post enough sportbike related content nowadays, but I did for years and now that the torch has been passed to younger riders I would think they would be all over the sportbike stuff. I just don’t follow it closely enough nowadays like I did for most my younger years. I wish we could get the site back a little bit to at least have some participation, but at this point I am just waiting till there is not enough funding and the site goes down for good
    I think a lot of people just left the site in favor of Facebook. With the advent of Facebook, Twitter and Instagram people just don't care about actually composing a thought out reply on a forum. If it doesn't get a "LIKE" or thumbs up or whatever the hell you call it, people lose interest in it. I don't do Facebook, and I just don't get the point of Twitter and Instagram. To me, they are all a monumental waste of time.

Also I think many people have just grow out of the sport or riding motorcycles altogether. I can speak for myself and say that I'm a different person than when I started riding. My objectives for riding changed over the years and therefore you grow out of certain aspects of the sport. I'm not a very social person to begin with, so I was never one of those that went to the big parties, bbq's and so forth. I had my small clique of riders that I hung out with and I kept it that way. Many of them that I rode with years ago, moved on or moved away. I moved on in the sense I got out of sportbikes for awhile and rode cruisers, then came back and basically when full track day riding. Now that I'm done with track riding, I'm thinking of selling my Gixxer again. I may ride it for a bit to work this coming season but not really interested in it. Have sold all my track gear, save for my helmets. So I think my run may be coming to an end. I don't feel bad though, I'm getting old enough to where I won't heal fast the way I did in my younger years. Also my career comes first and I can't get hurt to jeopardize that.

I still enjoy posting on the forum. I'll always watch MotoGP and WSBK, even when I'm old. I'll always talk racing and bikes. Though, I'm not really into bikes anymore. I'm kind of stuck in the golden era of sportbikes(late 90's through early 2000's). Anything past 2005 I really don't care about, as I think that's when the last great Gixxer 1k was made. I will say, I love the new R1's, that big bang sound just oozes sex.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

I see it as a combination of both factors posted. Social media is cutting back on forum activity, as stated in a couple of the posted links a fair number of forum participants were there just for the social part of it and those people have left for Facebook, etc. Only serious enthusiasts are left which takes me to the second point.

Motorcycle sales are not what they used to be, while sales have definitely recovered from the Great Recession they are nowhere near what they were in the 90s or early 2000s. Sportbikes are taking a good part of this hit in that a sportbike rider is typically younger and new, young riders are what we are not seeing in the showroom. The full reason for this is still a mystery, while cost is definitely part of it when a new 600 is $12000 and insurance for a 20 yr old is $2000 - $3000 a year that is not the whole thing. The biggest reason I have heard is that the Millennial generation is more into virtual reality than actual reality but how true is that??

The one good thing I have seen from the aging of sportbike riders is the strong market for naked/streetfighter styles from riders (such as myself ) who still want sportbike performance but dont want the committed riding position

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

I'm still here and I still ride. MMA > Boxing
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    I'm still here and I still ride. MMA > Boxing
    Right there with ya. Except I'm all laid up right now.

I think there are more riders/forum members around than any of us give the site credit for or realize. CSC just blew up for a while and it became inconvenient for riders to organize a nice riding group.

That caused two challenges. One was we(CSC) lost the close relationships between members. Secondly the process for organizing a ride wasn't easy and therefore caused members to form side groups that simplified the process. For example there were so many members that a mention of a group ride caused a whole parking lot to fill. There was no way to foster any kind of meaningful conversation or connections in that atmosphere. This caused most of the older established members to fall into smaller semi-private groups of some kind.

Also with any group there will be attrition. Members will move away and move on as new members join and become integral members. What is important in the process is that new members be vetted somehow. New members need to fit in with the culture or they become a distraction and ultimately hurt the group as a whole.

With all this being said I think it's interesting that CSC is probably at a good point to start the rebuilding process. It could be a great place again for getting a group of 4-10 people together for a ride and developing new relationships. It just needs some cultivating.
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    I think a lot of people just left the site in favor of Facebook. With the advent of Facebook, Twitter and Instagram people just don't care about actually composing a thought out reply on a forum. If it doesn't get a "LIKE" or thumbs up or whatever the hell you call it, people lose interest in it. I don't do Facebook, and I just don't get the point of Twitter and Instagram. To me, they are all a monumental waste of time.

Also I think many people have just grow out of the sport or riding motorcycles altogether. I can speak for myself and say that I'm a different person than when I started riding. My objectives for riding changed over the years and therefore you grow out of certain aspects of the sport. I'm not a very social person to begin with, so I was never one of those that went to the big parties, bbq's and so forth. I had my small clique of riders that I hung out with and I kept it that way. Many of them that I rode with years ago, moved on or moved away. I moved on in the sense I got out of sportbikes for awhile and rode cruisers, then came back and basically when full track day riding. Now that I'm done with track riding, I'm thinking of selling my Gixxer again. I may ride it for a bit to work this coming season but not really interested in it. Have sold all my track gear, save for my helmets. So I think my run may be coming to an end. I don't feel bad though, I'm getting old enough to where I won't heal fast the way I did in my younger years. Also my career comes first and I can't get hurt to jeopardize that.

I still enjoy posting on the forum. I'll always watch MotoGP and WSBK, even when I'm old. I'll always talk racing and bikes. Though, I'm not really into bikes anymore. I'm kind of stuck in the golden era of sportbikes(late 90's through early 2000's). Anything past 2005 I really don't care about, as I think that's when the last great Gixxer 1k was made. I will say, I love the new R1's, that big bang sound just oozes sex.

I agree with so much of this, wheres the like button?

While I doubt id fit in my leathers any more, I do still have them. But have all but one of my helmets. Being that life got in the way, motorcycles in general have taken a back burner, they sit waiting for repairs. I sort of doubt I will get back into racing again. Between the money, risk, time... Im just waiting for the kids to be old enough I can leave them home for a half day to go for a ride at all.

I come here 2-3 times a week and see whats posted, and agree its been slowly dying since when I first moved to CO and joined CSC. I'd go to the MMA events but Denver is to far away, never been very into BBQs etc. I always forget there is a CSC FB page, never joined. And I don't do any of the other big social media methods. I definitely prefer discussion vs sounding board.

And to the original post, I stopped watching boxing 20 years ago. After Tyson and perhaps some of the other HWs, meh. MMA is much more interesting to me.
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR