Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Canyon Conditions (keep updating)

Re: 2017 Canyon Conditions (keep updating)

I just took the car in that direction, on my way to check out Phantom Canyon last Sunday. 126 and 67 are in great shape from Pine Junction all the way to Woodland Park. And they've repaved the last 12 or so miles to WP. They also repaved 67 to the south from Divide to at least Hwy 81 (that was my turn to get to Victor and Phantom Canyon). I would bet the new pavement continues all the way to Cripple Creek. Should be an awesome road to hit next summer on a weekday! I can also confirm from a ride yesterday that Shadow Mountain is super dirty (which is typical in the winter for that road).
    Last edited by DriverDave; Tue Nov 14th, 2017 at 02:06 PM.

Anyone been up the usual canyons yet? Morrison, deer creek, etc that can update on conditions? Didn’t have to work today after all and want to roll out for a bit and just wondering if the close canyons are decent, thanks.
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

They're all in pretty good shape, but it's been less than a month since the last snow, so there's still some sand here and there. It really comes down to the amount of traffic a given road sees...Bear Creek tends to get clean pretty quickly because it has so much traffic every day. While Deer Creek and North and South Turkey tend to stay dirty a lot longer after a snow storm.

Having said that, I did Deckers a couple days ago, and had no trouble running a pace that could have easily got me in trouble

The bigger problem you will have today is the wind...it's supposed to be vicious. (if it wasn't for that, I'd probably join you)
    --Dave
    2013 Honda VFR 1200F
    2014 Honda VFR800-SOLD
    2007 Honda VFR800-SOLD

2004 Kawasaki KLX300R

Quote Originally Posted by DriverDave View Post
    They're all in pretty good shape, but it's been less than a month since the last snow, so there's still some sand here and there. It really comes down to the amount of traffic a given road sees...Bear Creek tends to get clean pretty quickly because it has so much traffic every day. While Deer Creek and North and South Turkey tend to stay dirty a lot longer after a snow storm.

Having said that, I did Deckers a couple days ago, and had no trouble running a pace that could have easily got me in trouble

The bigger problem you will have today is the wind...it's supposed to be vicious. (if it wasn't for that, I'd probably join you)
    word, thanks man. I just want to roll out to do a quickie and back home since weather is looking rather shitty for the next weekend and this weekend too so who knows when I’ll get out since I’m also going to COTA on Tuesday
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Board Newbie

Route 14 is clear from 287 to rustic first two miles they did put down tar in all the cracks watch out when warm, N CO rd 69 is a dirt road but isn't bad, County road 74E Going to Red Feather Lakes is clear all the way

Re: 2018 Canyon Conditions (keep updating)

Morrison/Indian hills/squaw pass is clear and nice. Just be advised on a couple of things at Squaw pass:

Just found out that douchebag bicyclists now have the right to use the whole lane if they want to and you have to give them 3ft minimum of room by law, now pushing traffic either way into oncoming which is about the dumbest and most dangerous thing, pisses me off they keep catering to those fuckheads and also there is a speed sensor around mile marker 22 so if you plan to haul ass anytime soon up there, expect some LEO presence. This morning that group of 3 bicyclists pushed me out of the lane on purpose once they heard me coming and made me get into the other lane on a double yellow so be advised most of them will be dicks and not move over for you or a car. Other groups did the right thing and got into single file when they heard me coming as they should anyways.

Also in Morrison there is a very strict noise ordinance ongoing so be advised that if you have a loud ass bike like mine, keep her on low revs.
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

77 from Lake George to Tarryall lake clean and clear. 67 from Divide to CC is redone and clean, Teller 1 back down is clean but old pavement. CR11-High Park clean, new in spots but all in ok shape. Hwy 9 from High Park is new for the first 15-20 miles and real nice, clean and clear back to Hartsell.
    2000 Zx-12R; 2007 GSXR 600 (bosses bike)
    2016 BMW R1200RS Granite FOG ride
    09 G8GT, 02 WJ

Just found out that douchebag bicyclists now have the right to use the whole lane if they want to and you have to give them 3ft minimum of room by law, now pushing traffic either way into oncoming which is about the dumbest and most dangerous thing, pisses me off they keep catering to those fuckheads and also there is a speed sensor around mile marker 22 so if you plan to haul ass anytime soon up there, expect some LEO presence. This morning that group of 3 bicyclists pushed me out of the lane on purpose once they heard me coming and made me get into the other lane on a double yellow so be advised most of them will be dicks and not move over for you or a car. Other groups did the right thing and got into single file when they heard me coming as they should anyways.

Three foot to pass law has been around since 2009, and it's two abreast so long as it is not impeding traffic behind. Single file is the law with traffic back, and most cyclists I know adhere to this as a matter of self-preservation. There is a bike lane on the uphill east side of Squaw about 1/3 of the way up IIRC, so real need to be in the lane for that portion. If you ride Squaw, Lookout or Deer Creek on a weekend or holiday you will find a shit-ton of cyclists, slow cruiser riders, cops, joy riders and just a crowded unfun kind of ride. Try a non-holiday weekday at 1PM for a much better ride.

Last edited by FZRguy; Tue May 29th, 2018 at 07:29 PM.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

I have not ridden squaw pass this year and I don't remember seeing any cops there. Have you or anyone seen them and where do they hang out?
    I also have not encountered any issues with cyclists but if they start riding in the middle of the lane I anticipate a lot of dangerous situations for everyone since squaw pass offers few passing spots.

Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy View Post

Three foot to pass law has been around since 2009, and it's two abreast so long as it is not impeding traffic behind. Single file is the law with traffic back, and most cyclists I know adhere to this as a matter of self-preservation. There is a bike lane on the uphill east side of Squaw about 1/3 of the way up IIRC, so real need to be in the lane for that portion. If you ride Squaw, Lookout or Deer Creek on a weekend or holiday you will find a shit-ton of cyclists, slow cruiser riders, cops, joy riders and just a crowded unfun kind of ride. Try a non-holiday weekday at 1PM for a much better ride.

i haven’t seen those 3ft minimum signs until this season up there and you see them right as you take that road at the light heading up from evergreen. This group was somewhat spread out as you see many but most as you come up tend to move back into single file, not those assholes, they made themselves even wider and forced me out of the lane and onto the oncoming lane. You know what’s funny? I was up there at 7 am and it was already full of them. Just saying watch your asses up there going up regardless.
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

The cyclists ride early to avoid the heat of midday. So sometimes it's better to wake up later and have a clear road. We live near 105 now and it's worse. Most drivers speed along over the posted limit and there's no shoulder and blind crests. Makes for exciting times you crest a hill and there's a car trying to pass some cyclists.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Meh it’s like we are fucked these days, if it’s not cagers, it’s cyclists *shrugs* all in all just a friendly warning. As far as LEO presence I have yet to see the first cop up there until you head down towards Idaho springs from echo lake but like I said there is a speed sensor on mile marker 22 goin up from the evergreen side and they’re measuring speeds so they’re going to be watching. I don’t haul ass when I go up anymore so don’t care much for it but some of you guys still do so just a heads up.

For me if you wait too long to head up you’re stuck behind all kinds of traffic and what not but then you deal with cyclists in the morning, somewhat of a trade off but rather go up and deal with a knucklehead or two instead of being stuck going 5 mph the whole way up and back down as well. Anyways, happy riding ladies and gents
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

Golden Gate is my canyon of choice on a weekday Noonish or so, and it's usually empty for the most part. I rode it on the 17th and there was substantial patch paving operation going on then. Pretty sketch where they were working with gravel and old to new pavement. Has anyone ridden it since then?
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Ran up to the Ft. Collins area on Buckthorn and then Stove Prairie Roads. Stove Prairie had a shitload of crack seal tar all over the roads. When you hit them it feels like your tire went flat. The warm temps were letting tires slide through them like mud. Pretty dangerous IMO. Then hit highway 14 up to Walden and all the way back into the Fort. That whole highway was clean and nice!

Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy View Post
    Golden Gate is my canyon of choice on a weekday Noonish or so, and it's usually empty for the most part. I rode it on the 17th and there was substantial patch paving operation going on then. Pretty sketch where they were working with gravel and old to new pavement. Has anyone ridden it since then?
    Yes, they did strip patch repairs but they managed to blend them in the existing road pretty well, i went up it twice this past weekend and was perfectly fine at a good pace.

Peak to peak was clean as clean can be and that new asphalt held up like a dream!!

119 was clean and a great ride

Coal Creek is still a sandy mess and there seems to be more traffic than normal

Any recent reports for Deckers and Mt Evans?
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    Any recent reports for Deckers and Mt Evans?
    havent hit deckers yet i might this weekend my squaw pass and Mt evans are clean

Just hit Deckers today, via Foxton. It was quite good, which might have resulted in a bit too much speed

Shadow Mountain on the other hand just had shoulder work done that left the road quite dirty, as it usually does. Might take a good rain to clean it off.
    --Dave
    2013 Honda VFR 1200F
    2014 Honda VFR800-SOLD
    2007 Honda VFR800-SOLD

2004 Kawasaki KLX300R

Morrison and squaw pass are clean but be advised today, Mt Evans is closed and also echo lake is absolutely packed and I mean packed when I rolled by at 7 am so be advised.
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

Good news for Golden Gate. Apparently the extensive patch work was prep for all new pavement.

Hwy 119: They were painting the center line today. Appears they were cutting a shallow groove in the pavement for the center line, for now there are piles of a sandy dust near the center line.
    Last edited by 06xbss; Mon Jun 11th, 2018 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 06xbss View Post
    Good news for Golden Gate. Apparently the extensive patch work was prep for all new pavement.
    Just watch out for the construction gravel... we lost a bike on Saturday. You could not see the gravel all over the road until you were standing on top of it.
    Last edited by salsashark; Tue Jun 12th, 2018 at 08:43 AM.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Just watch out for the construction gravel...
    Traffic must have knocked most of it off the road. Except for a little bit of gravel on a couple of corners, road was clean Monday.

Bad news, they are chip sealing p2p north of Nederland.