Thread: 2017 MOTOGP Season ****SPOILER ALERT*** *****WARNING - SPOILER *******

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: 2017 MOTOGP Season ****SPOILER ALERT*** *****WARNING - SPOILER *******

I agree with all your thoughts.

I was actually talking with a friend over dinner last night about Rossi. I guess some insider people(this guy is a little connected) think Rossi is a little tattered by all the PR commitments. He said that Rossi gives everything he can to every commitment and it has taken a toll on his energy for the whole process. So this of course came with the question of "Is this the last season?"

His response and from what he has heard was it could be a wait and see type thing. His source said usually once the season starts it's all about racing and that there is a routine to the season that helps calm down all the outside distractions.

I am personally a Rossi fan all the way. However I don't begrudge every other rider like some Rossi fans do. My fan status comes from two things. I love to see genuine love for the sport and someone who loves what they do at the highest level. I also think he has been and continues to be great for the sport. When he does retire MotoGP will hit somewhat of a plateau as far as ratings and new fan base I predict. I hate to bring a NASCRAP analogy in here but when Dale Earnhardt got killed they had the same problem. I would also say the NBA had the same issue with MJ. They were the faces of the sport at the time which I think Rossi is that to GP.

Anyway I thought that was interesting insight and I thought I would share.

I think Rossi is still very competitive and I guess I don't think about a guy who still wins races and seems just a tick away from another championship, retiring anytime soon. Who knows though. I can't imagine wrestling one of those beasts in my late 30's. He doesn't need the money and in my opinion he doesn't have anything else to prove to be the GOAT. So who knows I guess.
    Last edited by Gramps; Sun Feb 19th, 2017 at 06:57 AM.
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S