Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 MOTOGP Season ****SPOILER ALERT*** *****WARNING - SPOILER *******

Re: 2017 MOTOGP Season ****SPOILER ALERT*** *****WARNING - SPOILER *******

Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
    Not the most entertaining of races but man hat off to Folger, what a race by him and to keep up with Marquez that well. Hell of an earned podium spot. This championship is anyone's at this point.
    Yeah I missed 2/3's of the race due to sleeping in. Only caught about 7 laps worth of racing. Good to see Folger keeping up with Marquez and he got his first podium. Knew this one was Marc's to lose. Insane how with a race win he leapfrogs everyone and is leading going into the summer break. Good to see Pedrosa back and in contention for the podium.

Not much to say about factory Team Yamaha, can't really congratulate 4th and 5th places for a factory team. And I knew last week's results weren't going to be the norm, just a flash in the pan. Seems to me(again I'll have to rewatch the race since I missed 2/3's of it) that Vinales had the comeback ride from 11th on the grid. Didn't see in the replay's of when he caught Rossi but he did. Yamaha need to get this figured out. When last year's bike is miles ahead of the current bike(with all the upgrades), Team Blue is up sh*t creek if they can't get it figured out.

At the half way point of the year, on paper Yamaha look to have the best bike(with 4 wins) but when you watch the races that's not the case and they more than everyone else seem to be struggling from venue to venue. I honestly don't see them having the upper hand until Misano(which is four races away). I'm betting that either Marquez or Pedrosa will take Brno(which is a classic Honda track), then Austria could go to Dovi(don't see Lorenzo in the mix) or maybe Marquez. Silverstone then maybe the Yamaha's might have a chance but Marquez is strong there as well.

Really the rest of the season is now in Honda's control. We are heading into tracks that suit their bikes well, with a couple that could go to Ducati(Red Bull Ring & Sepang). I think Dovi can do well in Sepang based on how the bike is working for him. Plus with the two big straights will help his bike to stretch it out.

It really is anyone's championship at this point. Top 4 covered by 10 points with shifts to come from the future races. Could have a string of DNF's from people yet, so that always makes a mess of the championship.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Yeah, this next half of the season is going to be rather interesting for sure. Pedrosa with that podium is within 25 points of 1st place which realistically isn't very far out. Hell, Marquez was only 17 behind and now he leads with just a single race win. Sure hope this month serves Yamaha to get some of their bugs figured out and take the battle to the top again. Still very happy for Folger, that dude rode beautifully.
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
    Yeah the Honda's just have that track figured out. Folger was riding out of his mind and hopefully that will give him some confidence going forward and we will have another rider in the mix. Danillo seems like he is a little crazy and risky at times but the tires played a big role again. 2nd to 12th is a big slide. Lorenzo had the same thing happen but he has more issues than Ducati can even fix at this point. Dovi lost the tires towards the end as well and slipped from first to third in the championship. Crazy!

The championship is close and this season may go all the way to the last race to decide a champion which means the fans win and the series gets stronger.
    Yeah Honda definitely doesn't have to adjust much on that track as it fits it so well. I am still hell of surprised as of how Folger found such pace, would have challenged for the win if not for the couple mistakes at T1. I was rather surprised at the soft tire choices by some riders, the track surface being new was super abrasive and was tearing tires up pretty good. Loved the pass on Lorenzo by Folger, made him look like a rookie . This championship is going to be insane to the last round and lap, this sport keeps getting better and better.
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

This summer break shit isn't working out... bored out of my mind
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

This summer break shit isn't working out... bored out of my mind
    uhhhmmm go ride??
    2000 Zx-12R; 2007 GSXR 600 (bosses bike)
    2016 BMW R1200RS Granite FOG ride
    09 G8GT, 02 WJ

Brno will be here before you know it. Least I have F1 to hold me over til then. Thanks to Playstation Vue still not getting BeIN sports back, I can't watch WSBK anymore. May have to take the plunge and get the WSBK subscription.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

And factory Yamaha keeps struggling in the dry, wow. While other teams tested during the break and made huge leaps, I'm surprised they didn't with as many problems with that chassis as they're having. Well glad we are back to our regular scheduled programming
    Last edited by madvlad; Fri Aug 4th, 2017 at 08:49 AM.
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

And factory Yamaha keeps struggling in the dry, wow. While other teams tested during the break and made huge leaps, I'm surprised they didn't with as many problems with that chassis as they're having. Well glad we are back to our regular scheduled programming
    Not looking to shabby this morning. Good FP3 and FP4 for Rossi, Vinales seems to struggle just a bit. He's really losing time in the 2nd split, really showed in Q2. Looks to be a great race and hope for good sunny weather. Like to see a battle of titans with Rossi and Marquez again...
    Last edited by The Black Knight; Sun Aug 6th, 2017 at 08:16 AM.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

Should talk more shit haha, that came out of nowhere. Should be a hell of a showdown tomorrow.
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

Fucking Marquez man only dude that can make such a ghastly tire choice and make it pay off lol.
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

LOL!!! what a turd of a race. Once again when it comes to communication apparently Honda know what they are doing. Good job from Team Yamaha, only 20+ seconds behind, way to go guys, you'll turn this championship around yet... HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I get a kick out of these flag to flag races in MotoGP. After watching Formula 1 the last few weeks during the summer break. I can certainly say that MotoGP need to go take some classes from Formula 1 teams. I guess Honda are the only ones that get it. Honda can dial it down to the second and pull off perfection. Yamaha look like amateurs.

Yesterday I stopped into a Gun store to check out some stuff and the guys had the qualifying session on their computer. So we started chatting about MotoGP and whose favorite rider is who. Was surprised to see they were Rossi fans as well. But even these guys said, what is wrong with Team Yamaha?? I said, you're guys guess is as good as mine. We all agreed Yamaha flat sucks this year and if it's not the bike giving them issues, it's sh*t like today that gives them issues. They agreed, that last year Rossi was without a doubt the fastest, yet this year seems to really lack something. I said, it's more the bike than anything else. Yeah he does look a little less driven, but for the most part seems the problem is Team Yamaha and the M1.

Oh well, on to Austria where Yamaha is for sure going to get there ass kicked between their shoulder blades some more...
    Last edited by The Black Knight; Sun Aug 6th, 2017 at 08:16 AM.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

Oh no, that was not deliberate at all dude. Just a huge mistake that paid off, there is no way in hell Honda planned this lol
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

Oh no, that was not deliberate at all dude. Just a huge mistake that paid off, there is no way in hell Honda planned this lol
    See, I'm thinking they did. Sure Marquez will say the soft was a mistake and it all honesty it may have been. Where Honda still gets it right and planned out, is how they attack and resolve issues when they arise. They could tell by the timing, Marquez was losing time, so they brought him in on lap 2 and it turned out to be a perfect calculation.

Now some might say, well he wasn't given anything on his pitboard because as it was only lap 2 he came in on. However, you have to remember they have built in strategies that they go over and over. Something to the affect of, well if A. happens, then you do B. If C. happens then you do D. They have redundant back up plans in place should the unexpected happen.

Something that Team Yamaha obviously don't have. You can tell by the fact that apparently no one in either garage can read a stopwatch or timing screen. Marquez switches to slicks and is immediately 10 seconds a lap faster. Factor in a pit lane delta of around 25 seconds, rider transition to other bike of a couple seconds, and you're looking at around a 30 second pit lane delta. That's just 30 seconds lost on a track that takes roughly 1:57secs(on slicks) to circulate. Rossi was doing 2:08's, Marquez was in the 1:57's, so yeah he was eating away at that lead big time. It only took him about 3 laps to erase the deficit as he was closing in on them, when Rossi and Dovi finally decided to head into the pits.

What moron is running their timing for Yamaha?? 4 laps at 10 seconds per lap faster = 40 seconds, add in roughly 30 second pit lane delta. That's 70 seconds or 1:10 they lost. That's just going by the figures I saw during the race. When they compared them right away, Marquez was 10 seconds faster. Obviously he was getting quicker and they were going slower for him to basically catch up in just four laps time. And that's just rough math from a viewer point of view. Not to mention the time they lose on the first out lap getting tires up to temperature.

So it all factors in. As soon as Marquez went for the pits, the message on Team Yamaha's boards should have read BOX! so they guys would know to come in on the next lap. That way you only give him two laps, instead of the four. Look how well Pedrosa did, he came in next lap and got second, even Vinales managed to salvage a 3rd coming in a lap before Rossi.

This is what I'm getting at, there is just no communication from teams to riders. And by that I, not only communicating via pit board, but having a plan in place should this kind of stuff happen. I know, Yamaha surely does have a plan in place but wet race after wet race where they get it wrong. It leaves a person thinking maybe they really don't have a plan for when this kind of stuff happens.

Granted I'm not in the teams shoes. But I've seen enough racing in my life, to recognize when teams get it right and when teams get it horribly wrong.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

I get there is obviously some type of planning and what not but there is no way they were even having a thought of this result happening. What if the tires hadn't dropped that fast? One more lap out there and he could have changed his result entirely. Again, luck played his part just like when he pushes way too far and somehow managed to barely save a crash lol... Yamaha also perhaps thought that since Rossi can manage tires rather well they'd see what happened for one more lap so it was a tough one to call, he came in next lap in anyways so it's not like he dragged on like at that one race (Germany I believe) and lost it on his own. Honda capitalized and well onto Austria, hope Ducati won't rape the rest of the grid too bad
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

I get there is obviously some type of planning and what not but there is no way they were even having a thought of this result happening. What if the tires hadn't dropped that fast? One more lap out there and he could have changed his result entirely. Again, luck played his part just like when he pushes way too far and somehow managed to barely save a crash lol... Yamaha also perhaps thought that since Rossi can manage tires rather well they'd see what happened for one more lap so it was a tough one to call, he came in next lap in anyways so it's not like he dragged on like at that one race (Germany I believe) and lost it on his own. Honda capitalized and well onto Austria, hope Ducati won't rape the rest of the grid too bad
    Yeah it was Misano 2015 where him and Lorenzo just dragged it on and on and really screwed the result up for everyone.

I agree, it was a gamble for HRC but I think it was a calculated gamble. Just seems their gambles pay off more than others, which tells me that they plan things out more. You can tell, they plan with the championship in mind, whereas everyone else seems to plan just for the race of the day. Which is good and bad. Good because they are looking into the long term for the championship. Bad, that it sometimes can make a team a bit extra cautious and then the risk or reward factor goes away. So it is a gamble either way you slice it.

I agree with you on Ducati, to Austria where I'm sure if they get a good setting and dry weather are going to rape everyone. We could be seeing a complete lock out of the podium by Ducati riders. If in a perfect world and race, I'd forecast a Dovi, Lorenzo and either Petrucci or Bautista podium. And really Petrucci could relegate Lorenzo to third if he gets it right. Petrux seems to be able to out perform Lorenzo on just about any race. I, honestly believe that if he out performs Lorenzo in 2018, Petrucci may be the one to move in on that seat.

And what is the deal with Suzuki?? Specifically Iannone... Basically dead last!!! Which translates into "dead weight"... Least Rins was looking for a top 10 towards the end. I'm thinking Iannone just doesn't care anymore. His crash in pit lane was rather funny. Good old A. Espargaro doing what he does best(and that's get in the way).

All in all, this race sucked... I had high hopes that the riders were out to do the business after the summer break. And what a disappointing abomination we got instead. I really didn't care if Rossi was going to win, just was happy to see that he had some good pace and was competitive. Was just hoping for a good race for everyone til the end. Really takes the wind out of your sails when you see these tactical nightmares unfold at a race. If it ain't the tires, it's the sh*t decisions by everyone during a flag to flag.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

Speaking of Lorenzo. That guy was just tearing it up today with that new fairing. I think he has become the factory test guy.

At least he scored a point.

This is all total sarcasm. I think it's great.
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
    Speaking of Lorenzo. That guy was just tearing it up today with that new fairing. I think he has become the factory test guy.

At least he scored a point.

This is all total sarcasm. I think it's great.
    Yeah, that fairing leaves something to be desired for sure. I'm wondering what the deal was that fairing. You'd think if it had something to do with extra down force, we would have seen(or in the future) it at high speed tracks(i.e. Mugello, Phillip Island, Malaysia). Dovi apparently didn't need it. Yeah maybe Lorenzo can switch spots with Stoner as a test rider. It's got to be damaging to his ego, he's getting smoked by Dovi and now they use him as a guinea pig for stupid fairing day.

I'm with you, it just warms my heart to see Lorenzo doing so well.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

Yamaha isn't insanely far behind but yeah they're going to have their hands full this weekend. That ugly fairing is working wonders for Ducati it seems, Dovi raved about it saying the front end feeling is much better. Sure hope Yamaha can salvage some points this weekend cause seems Dovi will close the gap to MM this weekend for sure.
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

Yamaha isn't insanely far behind but yeah they're going to have their hands full this weekend. That ugly fairing is working wonders for Ducati it seems, Dovi raved about it saying the front end feeling is much better. Sure hope Yamaha can salvage some points this weekend cause seems Dovi will close the gap to MM this weekend for sure.
    Well everyone seems somewhat close. Vinales seems to have some issues sorted at the moment. Pedrosa and Marquez are doing well. Mainly Rossi is all of no where. He's getting out paced by several satellite bikes and not to mention Lorenzo. The top 15 are covered by one second, so that tells you that it's close for everyone at the moment. I don't think I can remember a year where the performance from one race to the next was so up and down. Some manufactures are weathering it better than others but for the most part, every team has it up and down in terms of performance. Should be a good race pending weather.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

Guess Rossi is having flu like symptoms too so that doesn't help a whole lot either. Definitely a lot closer than last year even with the 12th place is still under a second off the fastest pace and Viņales at only .200 off. Hope weather helps cause those flag yo flag races are getting old.
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

Predictions for tomorrow?
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

You know going over the FP4 lap analysis(FP4 is typically indicative of actual race pace), the only two guys that have serious pace are Marquez and Rossi. Marquez had 9 laps in the 1:24's, with Rossi having 8 laps in the 1:24's. Here's the problem if Rossi is really sick and having stamina issues, then I don't see him being much of a threat late into the race. He may be able to do well in the early stages but could fall off the pace later on. Then again he may feel very well tomorrow and could do better. So much up in the air around a flu sickness. Is it real flu or just the sh*ts flu? Who knows..

At this point, barring Rossi getting better over night, I think Marque will be in the fight for the win with probably himself. I don't see Dovi or Lorenzo being able to match Marquez. Again, this is going just by FP4 times. You compare the Ducatis and they are no where in terms of pace. Even Vinales pace in FP4 is laughable compared to Marquez or Rossi. The only one who will likely be close to Marquez is Pedrosa. He also had six laps in the 1:24's, with a bunch in the low to mid 1:25's.

Unless everyone find some pace in morning warm-up and become more consistent to compete with Marquez, then it's his race to lose. The way I see the podium shaking out:

Marquez
    Pedrosa or Rossi
    Rossi or Dovi or Vinales or Petrucci

But to go with a straight up concrete pick of the top 3, then I see it as Marquez, Pedrosa and Dovi, in that order.

2nd through 5th are really up for grabs. I really do believe it is Marquez's race to lose and honestly if I had to go with my gut. I don't see Rossi on the podium. Unless he's healthy and finds a little something more. I will say, he seems to be doing better on Saturday's practices. His Friday practices are still weak but at least he's doing better come qualifying day..
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

What a showdown man, how Dovi managed to push 1:24 lap times all race with a soft tire option is beyond me, well earned and deserved for him, can't even be mad at all and nice prediction on the Pedrosa, Marquez and Dovi podium. This title race has come down to him and Marquez, Rossi and Viņales slowly creeping away from contention and no relief in sight and also Pedrosa threatens Rossi for his spot now as he closed the points gap rather good today. Sure will be rooting for Dovi if it comes down to Yamaha not being able to pull a rabbit out of the hat cause if they don't make anything happen in the next couple races, this is over for them.
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

What an epic battle!!! Now that was a great race, very awesome...

Damnit, I hate it when I'm right. It was Marquez race to lose, and everyone found a little something during morning warm-up. Well almost everyone. Big, massive, huge congrats to Dovi!!!

Finally, good to see Dovi reap some rewards of his hard work. It's been since 2010 that Ducati have won three races in a season. Nice to see Lorenzo not on the podium, again.

Marquez is just a total beast. At a track that Ducati should have raped everyone, Honda did well and regardless of Dovi's win. I'll call it now and say Marquez will be crowed champion again this year. He's just way faster than everyone else. We head of Silverstone in two weeks time, and that's probably going to be the reverse with Marquez bending everyone over, he loves that track.

Big round of applause for Yamaha. That hard work is so paying off. I totally get their strategy now. They have to go backwards in order to go forwards, err wait... They have to not win in order to show you're getting faster, wait I know... They just suck and aren't doing anything about it. And they're slow?? Guess the tortoise really doesn't beat the hare in MotoGP....

And last but not least, Zarco. Way to go dumbass, you make passes that not only make you but others go backwards. You fit right in with Team Yamaha's ethos of less really is less, and going slow means not winning races. Bravo sir, bravo...
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"