Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
Also not to count that Rossi has a moto3 and 2 team in progress and a long term developmental contract with Yamaha for life after motogp. I see Rossi in this circus for maybe one more year depending on how this season goes and he's not doing bad to be 38 years old. He knows that Yamaha brought in Viņales cause they're taking a gamble for long term on him to be the next big thing at Yamaha with Rossi nearing the exit. Viņales has the traits that could make him a great and well liked champion, while he may not have the same popularity as Rossi obviously but he could get there with a few years, mainly after Rossi is gone. Everyone also keeps saying that it's only a matter of time before the wall in the pit goes up lol, those times have come and gone, Rossi isn't going to jeopardize his life after GP over a stupid feud with Viņales. As far Crutchlow goes, if he can find the consistency, he could be a contender and the surprise as I'm sure he is also very confident given last years wins and giving HRC something to bite their lip about.
I agree completely. We are starting to see the beginning of the end for Rossi. He's alluded to wanting to race til 40, but man I don't think he's got it in him. Vinales has a lot of good points working for him. He's not douchy like Lorenzo and seems to be happy most of the time. If he keeps his head down, not ruffle many feathers off track, he'll go far. He is the future for Yamaha.

The wall thing I never agreed with and Rossi was 50% blame on it. From what I gather in reading accounts on the whole situation. It was partially pushed on Rossi by Bridgestone. Bridgestone didn't want the data sharing with Lorenzo who at the time, was riding on Michelins. I think if Rossi would have pushed back the wall would not have come up. But Rossi was ticked off with Lorenzo, so the wall seemed a good idea at the time. It happens to the best of them. In 2010, even I'll admit it. Rossi was starting to believe his own bullsh*t and I think it went to his head. I still believe that his two years with Ducati was probably the best thing for Rossi. It humbled him to the core and made him a much better racer. Look at his times now compared to years ago. Rossi is way faster than ever, but the competition is just as fast. Sometimes people have to hit bottom and fight their way back to the top to really appreciate it to grow and develop the character of a true champion.

LOL!! with your quip about HRC, that has me thinking. It wouldn't surprise me that Crutchlow could be challenging Pedrosa for that second seat. The only problem I see with that, is on his day Pedrosa is as blistering fast as the other aliens. Crutchlow is not. Yes he's won two races but he has yet to show that true alien speed. Pedrosa is an alien, whereas Crutchlow is controlled chaos. And most of the time that controlled chaos ends up in the gravel. Crutchlow is there within sniff distance of being an alien.

Some people might say, well look at the testing times, lots of guys are faster than some of the aliens. I think Pol Espargaro said it best a couple seasons ago. He was actually whining in a interview. That during practice and qualifying he can be faster than Rossi. But then during the race, Rossi would find "another gear" so to speak and dust his ass during the race. It just goes to show how the true aliens are fast. For sure you'll get the Lorenzo's and the Marquez's that just have to be at the top of every time sheet. Lorenzo could order drive thru and still want to see his name at the top of fastest people to order their meal. He's just "that guy". Marquez is somewhat "that guy" as well. For me, from what I've seen. They use it as a gauge for how fast they are and to see if everyone can match them. Rossi, Pedrosa and a few others tend to keep things in reserve and display it on "race day", which is where it matters. They don't hand out trophies for fastest "practice lap" or "most practice laps at the top of the time sheets". And if they did, that's lame and I wouldn't watch racing.

All I know, I can't wait for Qatar GP to get here