Thread: 2017 MOTOGP Season ****SPOILER ALERT*** *****WARNING - SPOILER *******

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: 2017 MOTOGP Season ****SPOILER ALERT*** *****WARNING - SPOILER *******

I agree with all your thoughts.

I was actually talking with a friend over dinner last night about Rossi. I guess some insider people(this guy is a little connected) think Rossi is a little tattered by all the PR commitments. He said that Rossi gives everything he can to every commitment and it has taken a toll on his energy for the whole process. So this of course came with the question of "Is this the last season?"

His response and from what he has heard was it could be a wait and see type thing. His source said usually once the season starts it's all about racing and that there is a routine to the season that helps calm down all the outside distractions.

I am personally a Rossi fan all the way. However I don't begrudge every other rider like some Rossi fans do. My fan status comes from two things. I love to see genuine love for the sport and someone who loves what they do at the highest level. I also think he has been and continues to be great for the sport. When he does retire MotoGP will hit somewhat of a plateau as far as ratings and new fan base I predict. I hate to bring a NASCRAP analogy in here but when Dale Earnhardt got killed they had the same problem. I would also say the NBA had the same issue with MJ. They were the faces of the sport at the time which I think Rossi is that to GP.

Anyway I thought that was interesting insight and I thought I would share.

I think Rossi is still very competitive and I guess I don't think about a guy who still wins races and seems just a tick away from another championship, retiring anytime soon. Who knows though. I can't imagine wrestling one of those beasts in my late 30's. He doesn't need the money and in my opinion he doesn't have anything else to prove to be the GOAT. So who knows I guess.
    Last edited by Gramps; Sun Feb 19th, 2017 at 06:57 AM.
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

Re: 2017 MOTOGP Season ****SPOILER ALERT*** *****WARNING - SPOILER *******

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
    I agree with all your thoughts.

I was actually talking with a friend over dinner last night about Rossi. I guess some insider people(this guy is a little connected) think Rossi is a little tattered by all the PR commitments. He said that Rossi gives everything he can to every commitment and it has taken a toll on his energy for the whole process. So this of course came with the question of "Is this the last season?"

His response and from what he has heard was it could be a wait and see type thing. His source said usually once the season starts it's all about racing and that there is a routine to the season that helps calm down all the outside distractions.

I am personally a Rossi fan all the way. However I don't begrudge every other rider like some Rossi fans do. My fan status comes from two things. I love to see genuine love for the sport and someone who loves what they do at the highest level. I also think he has been and continues to be great for the sport. When he does retire MotoGP will hit somewhat of a plateau as far as ratings and new fan base I predict. I hate to bring a NASCRAP analogy in here but when Dale Earnhardt got killed they had the same problem. I would also say the NBA had the same issue with MJ. They were the faces of the sport at the time which I think Rossi is that to GP.

Anyway I thought that was interesting insight and I thought I would share.

I think Rossi is still very competitive and I guess I don't think about a guy who still wins races and seems just a tick away from another championship, retiring anytime soon. Who knows though. I can't imagine wrestling one of those beasts in my late 30's. He doesn't need the money and in my opinion he doesn't have anything else to prove to be the GOAT. So who knows I guess.
    You can tell in Rossi's interviews and with the new launch of the 2017 bike that he's very worn down by all the PR stints. I don't know what it's from, maybe he had a bad Winter off season, maybe he's finally coming to the end of his journey and is a bit saddened by it. Anyone would be, you spend 20+ years doing something and around for the most part the same people, then it comes time for you to retire. It would affect anyone, especially someone that is still young(at 38..) to retire early weighs on the mind.

Rossi is starting to exhibit the same signs as Stoner did when he was nearing his exit. They both just lost the taste for the whole circus. I think Stoner's was a much more pronounced disdain for PR and all the media stuff. However, Rossi is starting to show that he's not as interested as he used to be.

I agree with you though, once the lights drop in Qatar, that may fire him back up to 100%.

I don't think this is his last season, as he's signed for two(2017/1 but I think that unless he does well, this may be his last competitive year(where he's fast and fights for wins). And I'd really hate to see him go out that way. I'd like to see him still being able to grab a few wins and being fast when he retires.

Here's what I think from all the years of watching Rossi race and seeing tons of his interviews. And I don't know the guy personally but I think if by some off chance that he does win the Championship this year. It wouldn't surprise me if he just retires right after and doesn't fulfill his final year of contract. Rossi loves the sport, he loves to race just because he's competitive but I think he'd like to go out on top. I think that's why we've seen him so fast these last few years. The guy has come in 2nd in the championship for three years now, so we know he's not slow. But that's also got to wear him down as well, the whole 2nd best again and 1st loser again reality.

And, I know a lot of people don't want to hear about it and yes everyone has moved on. But I think the fiasco of 2015 really took a lot out of Rossi. Regardless of which side people fall on, most people would step back and say, Rossi got screwed out of the title that year. 2015 was probably one of his better years in awhile, lots of podiums and 4 wins. And it eventually came out in the wash that Marquez did hold Rossi responsible for losing the title that year. Emilio Alzamora had said to a couple of Rossi's people that Marquez held Rossi responsible for the incident in Argentina in 2015. So Sepang 2015 was a perfect storm for Marquez, he was faster and knew he could dick with Rossi enough to cause an incident. I still hold my belief that what Rossi did was right.

I agree, once Rossi leaves MotoGP we will see a very sharp decline in interest. How much?? Has yet to be determined. I think if Rossi were to win another title, then MotoGP would suffer a huge blow when he leaves. It would be a massive comeback story and now the star would be gone. If he doesn't win another championship, then MotoGP will weather his exit better. Other riders will be front and center and the focus will be on the competition of racing and championship rather than on Rossi. It still will be a big deal though, when he does leave.

It is true once the star of any sport leaves the sport suffers. Formula 1 hasn't been the same since Shumacher left. Football went through a golden era of amazing players, guys that would transcend normal players. NASCAR isn't the same with Earnhardt gone. I never liked basketball but you're right, even when I was a kid I knew how awesome Jordan was.

What I'd like to see Rossi do is fuse the Rossi of 2015 with the Rossi of 2016. His 2014/2015 form was ultra consistent, competitive but not as fast. He was always on the podium, always there fighting for a victory. The 2016 Rossi was way less consistent, made lots of mistakes but you could tell Rossi was clearly one of the fastest(if not at times THE fastest) rider on the grid. If he can blend the ability to be consistent and mistake free with the outright raw speed and pace of last year, then I think he's got the tools to be champion again. What I fear is a return to more 2014/15 form for Rossi and on paper it makes more sense for him to be that way. However, I really enjoyed how fast he was last year, regardless of all the mistakes.
    Last edited by The Black Knight; Sun Feb 19th, 2017 at 09:55 AM. Reason: typos
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."