Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
I wouldn't go as far as it's a piece of shit, the first rounds the bike performed very well but whatever they changed for this round obviously bit them in the ass and hard. Incredible how unstable both riders were under braking, you rarely see Rossi rub wide and he ran wide at least 4 times in this race. Even Viņales at T1 there almost lost that thing hard. Not sure if the rules have changed at all about riding on last year's chassis but if indeed the chassis is the problem, they should give the riders the option to use it. Honda took a huge chunk of points off Yamaha this round, if this isn't a wake up call for Jarvis and the Yamaha team then I don't know what else would be. Hell the fact that Lorenzo finished in front of both riders should be concern enough.
I think I'll go out on a limb and call it a POS at this point. I think they got lucky in Qatar and Argentina. Austin is a whole other beast of a track. Now that we are hitting the Euro tracks, it very well may be the nail in the coffin on a bad bike design for 2017.

I'd like to see them return to the 2016 chassis but that's not going to happen. I remember in testing they mentioned that with the new design of the engine it wouldn't fit into the frame of the 2016 model. So them changing back would just be wishful thinking. Hell, I'd be happy if they just gave Rossi his 2016 back and junk the 2017 he's on.

I mean look what Zarco did. I'm not taking anything away from Zarco, but he's not in Vinales and Rossi's level. He's close but not at their level and won't be for awhile. He was more than in striking distance of the podium. I dare say with Rossi on his old bike he would have dominated this race.

The thing that has always irritated me with Yamaha is their pompous attitude with their bikes. They aren't quite as pompous as Honder per se, but they are close. Though, no one beats Ducati in terms of believing their bike is the end all be all. I just think Yamaha really got it wrong this year for their bike. Which is so weird because why wouldn't they just use last year's bike as a template(which I'm sure they do to an extent).

Considering how fast Rossi was last year, if I were Rossi, I'd of told Yamaha don't change a thing about the bike. It was awesome as hell and very good in terms of pace.

The other piece of this sh*t puzzle I still believe is Michelin's front. Rossi has always been such a front end rider. Relying on heavy braking and front end stability. When Michelin took over, they designed a brilliant rear tire and I guess just felt they didn't need to make a front tire to go with the rear. Whereas Bridgestone by comparison, had the best front tire money could buy but the rear didn't compliment it.

The Michelin's aren't much of a problem for Vinales, he's new and doesn't know any difference. But I'd be willing to put money on Rossi is having a hard time with this new iteration of Michelin front tires. Regardless of all the, "we've found improvements with the front" comments Rossi makes. I think deep down Rossi hates this front tire and it will be the thorn in his side all season long. Love for him to prove me wrong but I don't think he or Yamaha will.

I still stand by my comments, if Yamaha can't figure it out quick(and by quick I mean next race) then they can kiss the championship goodbye for both riders and I dare say they won't win anymore races this season. I think Vinales might snag one or two more wins but Rossi will have his first win less Yamaha season.

Sad to say man, Yamaha have screwed the pooch on this year's bike. Especially after that ass pounding Honda and Ducati and well everyone else just gave them this weekend in Jerez. Their holes are so stretched out you can drive a truck through them.

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
I was happy to see Lorenzo exorcise some of the demons from the Ducati. It was good to see him so happy with the podium finish. Especially after watching him struggle all weekend at COTA.
Thought it would take a little longer for him to get on the podium but he is making improvements. Better than Yamaha did this weekend for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
While I guess I am somewhat happy with the dude doing okay with the Ducati, I will say that if it wasn't for the Yamaha team struggling, he wouldn't have seen the podium. A good weekend for the guy but doubt he will carry much of this over except for Austria at least this season. We will see though, this may be the ray of light he was looking for.
I agree with this. Lorenzo found some mojo but had it not been for Iannone crashing and Crashlow doing what Crashlow does best and that's crash, with team Yamaha sucking hind tit, then he would have been lucky to get a sniff of the top five. Lorenzo is top 6 or 7 for the rest of the season if things settle down for everyone. If Iannone stops wrecking and Crutchlow stops racing, and the wheels don't completely come off for Team Yamaha, then I believe Dovi and Lorenzo will fight for 6th or 7th most of the season.

I really hate to bag on Yamaha cause that's Rossi's team and bike. I love the look of the M1, just hate the brand that's on the side of the tank. But Yamaha needs to flush that 2017 turd quick before it really starts to stink.