Thread: Who Works in IT

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter t_jolt's Avatar

Who Works in IT

Hey guys,
    Who all works in IT here?

Thanks
    Tyrel
    Mitsujagvettecedes 1000RXTS GTR

Hand built by Jerry Garcia, Dan Gurney, Chuck Norris and Duntov's ghost. GT97 turbo,
    8WD, berilium pistons, titanium rods, unobtanium crank. Block forged from the dead souls of Mongol warriors. Depleted Uranium Dog box, Flubber tires, and stage 87 axles.

-1.07 @5.7c

Re: Who Works in IT

I've been writing software for 32 years. Its time to retire.

Sr. Analyst here with a fortune 50 company. Why?

Used to, Mainframe Operator and some Network stuff.
    Last edited by FZRguy; Wed Mar 1st, 2017 at 08:38 PM.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

i do grinding my soul down in middle management on a daily basis wish I could go give 15yo me a heart to heart.
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

system admin
    "On my steel horse I ride"
    2013 CBR1000RR, 20769 Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    i do grinding my soul down in middle management on a daily basis wish I could go give 15yo me a heart to heart.
    Amen!

IT Management here... Soul crushing is right. I'm almost welcoming my looming layoff.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

I was sucking the life out of me too. Hence, used to.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

FZRguy, what'd you decide was better?

I am only half serious. I have some days when I just hate the work, but when I compare it to some of my previous careers/jobs, I stop complaining. The money is good, the hours are consistent, its safe. The work should be around until I retire.
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

I'm not in IT, but the "corporate life" is what I question a lot. I find myself looking at guys that do manual work, like fence building, mechanic, mailman etc and wondering if I'd be way happier. Instead I come and work in my "office" staring at a PC all day with a bunch of old ladies and am stuck indoors most the day doing a job that pays well, but not anything I feel that is changing the world.

Some days I want to give it all up and go to that other side and see how it is........then "responsible" me says to stay where I am at because it is the less risky thing to do. So wish I could know the right answers!
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    I'm not in IT, but the "corporate life" is what I question a lot. I find myself looking at guys that do manual work, like fence building, mechanic, mailman etc and wondering if I'd be way happier. Instead I come and work in my "office" staring at a PC all day with a bunch of old ladies and am stuck indoors most the day doing a job that pays well, but not anything I feel that is changing the world.

Some days I want to give it all up and go to that other side and see how it is........then "responsible" me says to stay where I am at because it is the less risky thing to do. So wish I could know the right answers!
    I work outside and do a variety of things from straight up manual labor, to equipment operation, to large CDL vehicle operation and I love my career and wouldn't trade it for working inside. I'm not at liberty to say who I work for and what I actually do, but I will say that I'm part of a very large operation that delivers clean, safe and constant drinking water to the community. I enjoy the work I do and feel that I give back every day at work. My crew is a construction, maintenance and restoration group and we tackle a whole array of different projects and tasks.

I often wonder how you "inside people" put up with all the cubicles and same thing day in and day out. I've come to the realization that it takes all kinds of people to do all things. Not everyone is made to work outside and not everyone is made to work inside. I couldn't work inside, I'd feel like a caged animal. I know that the work I do is taking and will continue to take a toll on my body. Don't really care though, I do my best to stay healthy, see my chiropractor, do my stretching and things that help me stay limber. I don't workout anymore because what I do really is a workout. There have been days where all I did was be on the end of a pick mattock trenching in a line. I've never seen any kind of workout that can touch punching a trench by hand for 5 or 6 hours. I've moved tons of soil and rock by hand in just a couple hours(I know it's tons because I'm the one who purchases it) and I love it.

To be honest, there isn't much that beats a hard days work while working outside. I love going home just completely finished and wore out. I love to see how sweaty I can make the head band on my hardhat and then wring it out. I love to be challenged and what I do challenges me physically and mentally. I'm 36 and know I'm not old(yet!) but I love out working all the young millennials that work with us. They have no work ethic and when I drop the hammer and go, they can't keep up.

I know I'm beating my body and will probably be screwed up later in life. I'll be hurtin and I'm sure have to live on ibuprofen(on wait! I already do), just have to take more of it when older. The good thing is, I'm putting in good years and will retire by my mid 50's as I'll have my 30+ years in. At the end when it's all said and done, I'm happy with the fact that I've used what I've been given and used it wisely(sometimes not so wisely). Sure my back hurts, neck hurts, arms and elbows hurt, shoulders hurt, knees hurt and feet hurt. I wouldn't have it any other way. Obviously what also helps is that I get paid well, so that's always nice.

I will say that I'm sure you're in your 30's and my advice would be to not switch careers. If you work inside, stay inside. Because to switch now, would be a toll on your body and mind. You'll constantly be thinking about how nice it would be to sit in an air-conditioned office, while you're hoofing a wheel barrel loaded with concrete, or digging for what seem like days on end. For someone like me whose never experienced that, I just find a shade tree and cool off with water.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Damn you Dean for deleting your post…I was really feeling it. Didn’t have time yesterday to reply so came all ready today. Anyways, I agree man and go through what you do too.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    I work outside and do a variety of things from straight up manual labor, to equipment operation, to large CDL vehicle operation and I love my career and wouldn't trade it for working inside. I'm not at liberty to say who I work for and what I actually do, but I will say that I'm part of a very large operation that delivers clean, safe and constant drinking water to the community. I enjoy the work I do and feel that I give back every day at work. My crew is a construction, maintenance and restoration group and we tackle a whole array of different projects and tasks.

I often wonder how you "inside people" put up with all the cubicles and same thing day in and day out. I've come to the realization that it takes all kinds of people to do all things. Not everyone is made to work outside and not everyone is made to work inside. I couldn't work inside, I'd feel like a caged animal. I know that the work I do is taking and will continue to take a toll on my body. Don't really care though, I do my best to stay healthy, see my chiropractor, do my stretching and things that help me stay limber. I don't workout anymore because what I do really is a workout. There have been days where all I did was be on the end of a pick mattock trenching in a line. I've never seen any kind of workout that can touch punching a trench by hand for 5 or 6 hours. I've moved tons of soil and rock by hand in just a couple hours(I know it's tons because I'm the one who purchases it) and I love it.

To be honest, there isn't much that beats a hard days work while working outside. I love going home just completely finished and wore out. I love to see how sweaty I can make the head band on my hardhat and then wring it out. I love to be challenged and what I do challenges me physically and mentally. I'm 36 and know I'm not old(yet!) but I love out working all the young millennials that work with us. They have no work ethic and when I drop the hammer and go, they can't keep up.

I know I'm beating my body and will probably be screwed up later in life. I'll be hurtin and I'm sure have to live on ibuprofen(on wait! I already do), just have to take more of it when older. The good thing is, I'm putting in good years and will retire by my mid 50's as I'll have my 30+ years in. At the end when it's all said and done, I'm happy with the fact that I've used what I've been given and used it wisely(sometimes not so wisely). Sure my back hurts, neck hurts, arms and elbows hurt, shoulders hurt, knees hurt and feet hurt. I wouldn't have it any other way. Obviously what also helps is that I get paid well, so that's always nice.

I will say that I'm sure you're in your 30's and my advice would be to not switch careers. If you work inside, stay inside. Because to switch now, would be a toll on your body and mind. You'll constantly be thinking about how nice it would be to sit in an air-conditioned office, while you're hoofing a wheel barrel loaded with concrete, or digging for what seem like days on end. For someone like me whose never experienced that, I just find a shade tree and cool off with water.
    I guess there is just pros and cons to both sides, but the toll on my body would worry me as my father was a master woodworker all his life and now he has such bad arthritis in his hands I do wonder if it is worth it. He loved his job, but now I see him hitting 60 barely able to hold a pencil and in so much pain. My uncles did construction their entire life and they are in the same boat; body is jacked from all that manual labor; one uncle just had two knee replacements (some was due to motocross and Martial Arts). It was sort of why I decided to go into a career that would not do that to me….yet like I said at times I wonder what it would be like to get out of the corp life as it does get boring.

So yeah I go back and forth and would love to be outside some days doing hardwork, but then on those freezing cold days, I am so happy to get to my office. Honestly one of my biggest goals is to be an old man like Jack LaLanne or Pax Beale who was in super great shape at an old age and was still doing things that most people their age could not; already on track as I am 38 and am in best shape of my life at this old age. lol. So then I wonder if that is possible without the structured workouts you get in a gym vs the workout you get with hard labor. As you know I am a gym rat and obsessed with fitness and a lot to do with that is form and working out safely…just not sure that could be accomplished with hard labor as it isn’t as structured. Then I did that all day, it would be hard to go to the gym for an hour a day, 6 days a week like I do now. Plus would be hard to accomplish my goal of gaining muscle mass with all that work cardio

Too bad we couldn’t get someone to switch jobs for like a month to see how the other side is…..

The older I get the less my body loves me. That is a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by j0ker View Post
    The older I get the less my body loves me. That is a fact.
    For sure gets harder with age, but the 38 year old me would out perform the 21 year old me for sure.....because of the training I have done in those years.

Jack LaLanne still trips me out for what he did at his age.
    Check it out:

• 1974 (age 60) – For the second time, he swam from Alcatraz Island to Fisherman's Wharf. Again, he was handcuffed, but this time he was also shackled and towed a 1,000 lb (450 kg; 71 st) boat, according to his obituary in Los Angeles Times in 2011 and his website.[40] However, according to an account of this event published the day after it occurred in the Los Angeles Times, written by Philip Hager, a Times staff writer, LaLanne was neither handcuffed nor shackled if each of those terms has the conventional meaning of "tightly binding the wrists or ankles together with a pair of metal fasteners". Hager says that LaLanne "had his hands and feet bound with cords that allowed minimal freedom". But "minimal" clearly did not mean "no" freedom, since elsewhere in the article Hager describes LaLanne's method of propulsion through the water as "half-breast-stroke, half-dog paddle" which is how you swim with your hands tied.[citation needed]
    • 1975 (age 61) – Repeating his performance of 21 years earlier, he again swam the entire length of the Golden Gate Bridge, underwater and handcuffed, but this time he was shackled and towed a 1,000 lb (450 kg; 71 st) boat.[citation needed]
    • 1976 (age 62) – To commemorate the "Spirit of '76", United States Bicentennial, he swam one mile (1.6 km) in Long Beach Harbor. He was handcuffed and shackled, and he towed 13 boats (representing the 13 original colonies) containing 76 people.[41]
    • 1979 (age 65) – towed 65 boats in Lake Ashinoko, near Tokyo, Japan. He was handcuffed and shackled, and the boats were filled with 6,500 lb (2,950 kg; 460 st) of Louisiana Pacific wood pulp.[42]
    • 1980 (age 66) – towed 10 boats in North Miami, Florida. The boats carried 77 people, and he towed them for over one mile (1.6 km) in less than one hour.[citation needed]
    • 1984 (age 70) – handcuffed, shackled, and fighting strong winds and currents, he towed 70 rowboats, one with several guests, from the Queen's Way Bridge in the Long Beach Harbor to the Queen Mary, 1 mile.[43]

The older I get the more I realize everything(almost) is a give and take. Hell I even have to buy the expensive whiskey now because the cheap stuff gives me an instant headache.

Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
    The older I get the more I realize everything(almost) is a give and take. Hell I even have to buy the expensive whiskey now because the cheap stuff gives me an instant headache.

What kind of whiskey do you drink?

Speaking of Whisky, recently went to Louisville Kentucky and hit up a few of the whiskey brewers there; Evan Williams and Makers Mar.

I am more a rum man though to be honest!

Only here for the free Wi-Fi Site Admin Spiderman's Avatar

My job description: Break the internet; Fix the internet; Repeat.
    Bob <------ Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you
         - 2002 Yamaha R1 (92K+ miles... bought new) ---------------------------------------->
         - 2015 Yamaha Bolt C-Spec (Cafe Racer)
         - 2004 Yamaha R6 (racebike)
         - 2006 Yamaha R1 (racebike)
    R.I.P. 502
    ~ Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post

Freaking network goons....

Lately I've been switching between Jack Single Barrel Rye and a High West Double Rye out of Utah. There is a distillery called 291 that's not bad either.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    Speaking of Whisky, recently went to Louisville Kentucky and hit up a few of the whiskey brewers there; Evan Williams and Makers Mar.

I am more a rum man though to be honest!
    I'm not a huge fan of any of the Kentucky stuff that I've found so far. I know Makers has a huge following but just not to my taste.

I knew it. I knew IT people created problems just to have shit to do.
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

Only here for the free Wi-Fi Site Admin Spiderman's Avatar

Freaking network goons....
    Worse... developer
    Bob <------ Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you
         - 2002 Yamaha R1 (92K+ miles... bought new) ---------------------------------------->
         - 2015 Yamaha Bolt C-Spec (Cafe Racer)
         - 2004 Yamaha R6 (racebike)
         - 2006 Yamaha R1 (racebike)
    R.I.P. 502
    ~ Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    FZRguy, what'd you decide was better?
    I retired
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Worse... developer
    Developers....Literally the bane of my entire career.