Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who Works in IT

Re: Who Works in IT

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
    Lately I've been switching between Jack Single Barrel Rye and a High West Double Rye out of Utah. There is a distillery called 291 that's not bad either.

I'm not a huge fan of any of the Kentucky stuff that I've found so far. I know Makers has a huge following but just not to my taste.
    I will have to try some of those Gramps. I am like you, I don't have much taste for most of the Kentucky stuff I have tried. Now tequila......

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    I'm not in IT, but the "corporate life" is what I question a lot. I find myself looking at guys that do manual work, like fence building, mechanic, mailman etc and wondering if I'd be way happier. Instead I come and work in my "office" staring at a PC all day with a bunch of old ladies and am stuck indoors most the day doing a job that pays well, but not anything I feel that is changing the world.

Some days I want to give it all up and go to that other side and see how it is........then "responsible" me says to stay where I am at because it is the less risky thing to do. So wish I could know the right answers!
    I have long had the same conflict. I can tell you the 5 years I was physical and worked with my hands as a mechanic, when I quit and started school I promised myself I would be in a job that didn't dictate a shower at the end of the day. Mostly stayed true to that, but I just enjoy working with my hands, creating something. And to BKs statement, feely happy you are tired at the end of the day. I do know I can work much later in life with my "cush and easy" inside job. And supplement my need to build with constant never ending rehab projects on my house.
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    I have long had the same conflict. I can tell you the 5 years I was physical and worked with my hands as a mechanic, when I quit and started school I promised myself I would be in a job that didn't dictate a shower at the end of the day. Mostly stayed true to that, but I just enjoy working with my hands, creating something. And to BKs statement, feely happy you are tired at the end of the day. I do know I can work much later in life with my "cush and easy" inside job. And supplement my need to build with constant never ending rehab projects on my house.
    I wasn't slamming anyone for working an inside job. Which is why I said takes both kinds to make the world go round. I can say this, yes because I work outside I am beat and wore out at the end of the day. Something that inside people don't get to experience. You may be mentally beat from the day but not physically. Which is why you see the gyms and health clubs full of office people. You've got to get your workout on after work because sitting behind a computer or at a desk isn't physically demanding.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Gold Member

work is stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by #1Townie View Post
    work is stupid.
    I hate it when I agree with you

Nerds..nerds everywhere!!!

As far as working in a cubicle yea that would suck, but being a mechanic is a ton of wear and tear on your body. Fortunately I was only a mech for 9 years so I only lost the hair on my head and didn't destroy my body too badly! Being an outside salesman is where it's at!

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by j0ker View Post
    well they say broken clocks are right twice a day. so there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    I wasn't slamming anyone for working an inside job. Which is why I said takes both kinds to make the world go round. I can say this, yes because I work outside I am beat and wore out at the end of the day. Something that inside people don't get to experience. You may be mentally beat from the day but not physically. Which is why you see the gyms and health clubs full of office people. You've got to get your workout on after work because sitting behind a computer or at a desk isn't physically demanding.
    I didn't take it that way at all. I was just throwing out my personal story, Ive lived on both sides and can tell you, the grass is always greener. Or so it seems. When I left the military it took my hands over a month to not be stained black from all the oil and crud in the cracks of my fingers. I just thought, screw that for the next 40.
    Inside work is definitely stressful and not physically demanding usually. And not having that physical release sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by j0ker View Post
    Hahaha. And I agree with both the statements.
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR