Thread: COTA March 11th

COTA March 11th

I am signed up for the Ridesmart track day on March 11th. I know a few on here have been down there or may be going on this trip so I thought I would post this up for any recommendations any of the veteran COTA riders may have.

Thanks in advance for any tips or tricks you may have. Anything from when to get to the track to a corner that ma be tricky will be a welcome insight.
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

Re: COTA March 11th

Everyone should ride COTA at least once, the facility is amazing. Ridesmart as a company was massively disappointing however.

We just had problems with poor/slow transitions to the next groups, sitting on pit lane in full leathers while they wait for every single bike to be completely clear of the track and pits before giving the next group the go ahead, low time actually on track, long delays for every crash, and really long/boring riders meetings.

My advice:

Skip the riders meeting. You'll learn nothing, it's basically an advertisement and a warning not to crash. The loudspeakers give you all the information you'll ever need.

Their tech was the most thorough I've ever been through. It's not Nazi strict by any means, just moreso than HPR and Miller were. I got failed for too tight chain tension. Not a big deal I loosened it up and all was good.

They're strict about no show-off wheelies. My RR, and your Duc, will power wheelie through 3rd and that's fine, just no showing off with wheelies.

Go there the bright before for early check-in and tech. It was worth it to not have to stress the next day.

They require classroom meetings after every session. I'd skip as many of these as you can. The information is elementary, inconsistent, and common sense. Unless you're new to track days, find a way to get out of these. But beware they try and force you by not giving you the sticker for the next session.

Lastly, there will be a lot of amateurs. If you run competitively in fast group at HPR, sign up for 3, if not higher class 2. There were a lot of new guys in my group, 2b, which was aggravating as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
    I am signed up for the Ridesmart track day on March 11th. I know a few on here have been down there or may be going on this trip so I thought I would post this up for any recommendations any of the veteran COTA riders may have.

Thanks in advance for any tips or tricks you may have. Anything from when to get to the track to a corner that ma be tricky will be a welcome insight.
    I did a weekend last year at COTA in July. It was ridiculously hot. You won't have that problem.

Do early tech the night before. Get your pit setup the night before. Pit closer to the building where the classes are held, it will save some walking. I think the SE corner would have been a better choice.

You are required to attend classes in between sessions. The instructor from the first day wasn't the greatest. Much of what was being taught was different from what YCRS teaches. I trust YCRS more than ridesmart. The 2nd day's instructor was pretty good.

I don't know what level you ride at. If you are a regular at PMP/HPR and/or race MRA, bump up a class. I'm not exactly fast at the track, but know my way around. I signed up for the intermediate novice level. I should have bumped up. I was grouped with a lot of people with limited experience at the track. There were a lot of people blasting the straights, slow rolling the corners. Due to the passing rules at the level I chose, it wasn't always possible to pass in corners. Best way to pass was late braking the corner entry. With 40-50 people in one group it would create a huge conga line around the track.

The track is amazing. I'm glad I went and got the chance to experience COTA. I wouldn't personally do another track day there with Ridesmart. I wasn't a fan of how they ran the event. We had a friend stopwatch the amount of time we would get on the track per session. The average was 12-13 minutes. That is basically 4 laps per session.

Have fun! Not often you get to experience a world class track and facility like this.

All the not so good things are things I feared when I signed up. What I probably know going in is that I'm in the wrong group but Ridesmart won't let you bump up until you get evaluated. I am going to try to keep a open mind about the classroom sessions. I'll make the best of them and try to pick up a few things. I've been to enough instruction at this point to at least recognize the good from the questionable.

In theory I just want to experience the track and have a safe day. I don't have any expectation that I'm going to set any fast laps. I hope for some brief moments of clear track but if not I'll still enjoy the experience.

Thanks for your input and advice
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

I've been watching for track days at COTA and saw the March 11th day. Figured I'd jump on the dead ol' CSC and see if anyone was going.

Sweet!!! Tom is going.

Oh, shit!! People don't have anything good to say about Ridesmart.

I'm not looking for instruction or to learn anything. I just want to ride a track that I've never been to. Bummer!!!! Guess I'll be saving a lot of money...
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

Quote Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean View Post
    I've been watching for track days at COTA and saw the March 11th day. Figured I'd jump on the dead ol' CSC and see if anyone was going.

Sweet!!! Tom is going.

Oh, shit!! People don't have anything good to say about Ridesmart.

I'm not looking for instruction or to learn anything. I just want to ride a track that I've never been to. Bummer!!!! Guess I'll be saving a lot of money...

Damnit For a minute I thought you may be going. I'll report back my findings Dean.
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

900 mils so like 6 hours to get there? Assuming most will be trailering down there?
    "On my steel horse I ride"
    2013 CBR1000RR, 20769 Miles

900 miles is more like 12 hours, at best. We trailered and that's about what it took us.

Google Maps says 14 hours.
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

It's about 14 hours, took me 3 stops to fill up, alternating driving with my buddy. It's a LONG drive.
    "When you on the track, you have to be enjoying the moment, you have to be flowing, "Be water, My Friend". You try to be the fastest, and it seems a little beet estupid, 20 riders making the same way, lap by lap, but this simple thing: is very complicated." #99

14 hours, was looking at routes today. See you guys out there this weekend.
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Quote Originally Posted by thankgod View Post
    It's about 14 hours, took me 3 stops to fill up, alternating driving with my buddy. It's a LONG drive.
    Not as far as Deal's Gap and I'm doing that in May

Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
    14 hours, was looking at routes today. See you guys out there this weekend.
    Me and the Wife will be there. Red Yukon with a black trailer. See ya there. Keep your fingers crossed for decent weather.
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

You need/want another driver/rider for Deal's?
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Been here since this morning, got to mess around the track for a bit. Ferrari is having a private event but we pretty much saw the whole thing Brad and I are in a beige/gold Lexus GX470. He has the blue R1 #880
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Been here since this morning, got to mess around the track for a bit. Ferrari is having a private event but we pretty much saw the whole thing Brad and I are in a beige/gold Lexus GX470. He has the blue R1 #880
    The track is hard to argue with as far as quality. It's fast and it's a rhythm/flowing type track. I got two pretty good sessions without a soaking wet track. The rest of the time I tiptoed around in the rain.

Oh well I got a decent half a day and I got to ride COTA. It was a good weekend!
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

It's an amazing place man, I'm in love with it for sure. I have to go back and ride there. Yeah sucks the rain threw a wrench in the program but glad some people still got out and rode away.
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

I fucking loved the track and facility, would die to ride again with some other host.

Anyone besides Ridesmart put those together?
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

Anyone besides Ridesmart put those together?
    I don't think so as far as motorcycles go anyway. COTA can be picky on who they invite to run track days and for now that's who they picked. I guess the rules that COTA has are pretty strict and for good reason.

I was looking last night and it doesn't look like they have another COTA day planned for 2017.
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

I'm sure they'll have another Ridesmart day this year, just hasn't been announced yet. Ridesmart is the only track day provider.

I think California Superbike School also does a weekend at COTA, but that's not really a track day as you only ride their bikes (Brand new S1000RR's), and like it's name implies it is a school (But with plenty of track time).

Nice, it'd still be cool to go do though. I really want to do a YCRS weekend, sucks they won't do them at COTA though.
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

The weekend was raining sat and cold sun. Lots of red flags and crashed bikes. 5-6 guys on another forum I'm on went. That would be a shitty experience even being at cota. Expensive trip to sit in a cold trailer.