Thread: ROKU

ROKU

Alright, within the last few months I've been on a mission to cut out excess fat in terms TV and phone. I've been able to break off Verizon and jam them for close to half of what I was paying, by restructuring my bill and not buying the latest and greatest smartphone. My Galaxy 5 works just fine, so I bought a new battery and I'm keeping it.

Which brings me to ROKU. Who has one and who really loves it?

I got into Roku a few months back and completely love it. Not only was I able to ditch Xfinity cable but thanks to having Playstation, I found out about Playstation Vue. Which is a way of streaming TV but for a fraction of the price. I went with the Elite plan and only pay $44.95 for 90 channels most of which I had with Xfinity.

The only drawback is that comcast/xfinity sees what you're doing and will jam you with a higher internet bill. Which is fine, I'll pay a little more and get way better TV options. I never watched 3/4's of the channels on xfinity.

So I have my Roku and Playstation accounts linked together. I was using my Playstation Vue just with my PS4 but when I found out I could use it on a Roku I jumped at that option. Not to mention all of the free channels you can access on Roku. You can buy channels on Roku but if you really want to watch on the cheap, just surf their over 3500+ channels and find free ones.

If anyone has been interested in streaming TV, I was a skeptic and now I think it's the wave of the future. It's a way to pay less and get more in my opinion.

Thoughts??
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Re: ROKU

+1 with Roku, we've been using it for 3 years now. With our 1G internet it's been great for streaming movies and such. I already had Hulu accounts and Amazon Prime etc so it's been no additional cost. There's some duplication now with our smart TV also having internet capability but no worries.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Roku here for years as well. We have internet through Comcast and all our TV is streaming. We cut the cord and never looked back. I bought all the internet equipment so no monthly equipment fees. We have HULU/PRIME/Netflix and it seems to have everything we want.

MotoGP is subscription so what else do you need?
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

I did something similar a few months ago. I bought a fire stick I use ps vue on it and my PS4. We got Hulu Netflix and vue plus internet for almost 100 less per month then having an actual cable box and contract. One of the best decisions we've made in the cost savings area

Have a Roku 4K in the family room, don't remember which Rokus are on the other tvs, but yes... I do the same thing. I have Xfinity for interwebs, and playstation vue for TV channels I might actually watch. Vue kind of sucks some days and I'm waiting for Directv Now to become available on Roku. Also have an Amazon TV box in storage, but haven't needed it since Amazon Prime came to Roku.

Gramps, thanks for reminding me... I've been lazy and haven't reconnected my own modem, and I really need to do that.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    +1 with Roku, we've been using it for 3 years now. With our 1G internet it's been great for streaming movies and such. I already had Hulu accounts and Amazon Prime etc so it's been no additional cost. There's some duplication now with our smart TV also having internet capability but no worries.
    I dont think I can ever move from Longmont because of the gig to the house internet for $49.95 a month. It is the BEST deal in America at the moment. Also.... FUCK COMCAST!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KennyFish View Post
    I did something similar a few months ago. I bought a fire stick I use ps vue on it and my PS4. We got Hulu Netflix and vue plus internet for almost 100 less per month then having an actual cable box and contract. One of the best decisions we've made in the cost savings area
    How were you able to get your Fire to work with Playstation Vue?? My dad tried doing the same thing with his TV and played hell trying to get them to recognize each other. He had the Fire box though, not just the USB stick. For some reason it would download the Playstation Vue app, but then it would crash and never open on his Fire, so he sent the Fire TV box back and went with a Roku.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    How were you able to get your Fire to work with Playstation Vue?? My dad tried doing the same thing with his TV and played hell trying to get them to recognize each other. He had the Fire box though, not just the USB stick. For some reason it would download the Playstation Vue app, but then it would crash and never open on his Fire, so he sent the Fire TV box back and went with a Roku.
    About a month ago the app updated and has worked flawlessly since. I stream vue on my PS4 in one room and on my amazon fire at the same time and haven't had any issues? Maybe delete the app and reinstall it?

Quote Originally Posted by KennyFish View Post
    About a month ago the app updated and has worked flawlessly since. I stream vue on my PS4 in one room and on my amazon fire at the same time and haven't had any issues? Maybe delete the app and reinstall it?
    Yeah, when I had talked with him about it, that's what he said he did. Install then Uninstall. Everything else worked on his Fire TV box except Playstation Vue.

I do the same as you, I've got Vue on my PS4 and Roku. Which now that I have the Roku, I hardly turn the PS4 on. The one thing that the PS4 has over the Roku when using Vue, is that on the PS4, Vue has the TV guide menu. On my Roku I don't get that. I can only see 7 shows into the future on any given channel. So, some of the features aren't there for me, which isn't a problem.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

I told Direct TV goodbye just last week. I bought an over the air antennae for $40 and the uncompressed HD signal for local network stations looks great. I have intermediate level Internet with Comcast for $41 per month and using a Sony 32 for a monitor. I'm on a mission to get my monthly expenses as low as possible, so that's it for me.
    Last edited by FZRguy; Mon Mar 20th, 2017 at 02:01 PM.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Direct TV just sent my final bill for $0.67. I have a Genie DVR that they don't want back. Going to play around with it to see if I can use it for an OTA DVR. Anyone try that or have an OTA DVR installed on their setup?
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Look in the rv forums, lots of people seem to have a solution that you are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy View Post
    I told Direct TV goodbye just last week. I bought an over the air antennae for $40 and the uncompressed HD signal for local network stations looks great. I have intermediate level Internet with Comcast for $41 per month and using a Sony 32 for a monitor. I'm on a mission to get my monthly expenses as low as possible, so that's it for me.
    Same here, hence why I kept my Samsung Galaxy 5 and now only pay $55 a month to Verizon as opposed to almost $90. Roku is no different, I'm enjoying free TV for some stuff and only $45 for Playstation Vue subscription. Not to mention, I did the same as you, I have my Free-to-Air antenna setup and get 31 local channels.

My internet is more but I've got some blistering speeds for all of my stuff. PS4, Roku, desktop + laptop and phone all on-line at any given time.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy View Post
    Direct TV just sent my final bill for $0.67. I have a Genie DVR that they don't want back. Going to play around with it to see if I can use it for an OTA DVR. Anyone try that or have an OTA DVR installed on their setup?
    Unfortunately that will never be an OTA DVR. DirecTV equipment shuts down completely without a subscription, the only exception is if you disconnect it from the satellite before call in in to cancel you can watch your previously recorded shows. TiVo now has an OTA DVR that includes lifetime TiVo service in the purchase price. I guess you must have had an HR34 as those piles deserve to be scrapped

BK, I always hear you talk about that PS4....but never about playing games on it

As you know I am a gamer....just played the hell out of Watch Dogs 2 and have to say it may be one of the best games to date....better than GTA on PS4; Watch Dogs 2 redid San Francisco. I'm thinking of getting "Titanfall 2" next. You playing any video games nowadays?
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

CS:GO anyone?
    <pc master race bitches>

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    BK, I always hear you talk about that PS4....but never about playing games on it

As you know I am a gamer....just played the hell out of Watch Dogs 2 and have to say it may be one of the best games to date....better than GTA on PS4; Watch Dogs 2 redid San Francisco. I'm thinking of getting "Titanfall 2" next. You playing any video games nowadays?
    That's because I only play Call of Duty. And since I skipped the new COD game, I don't really game at all. I still play some zombies on BO3, and I did get that new Valentino Rossi game. Other than that, I mainly use my PS4 as an way for streaming and other stuff. Now that I have Roku I haven't used my PS4 much.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

That's because I only play Call of Duty. And since I skipped the new COD game, I don't really game at all. I still play some zombies on BO3, and I did get that new Valentino Rossi game. Other than that, I mainly use my PS4 as an way for streaming and other stuff. Now that I have Roku I haven't used my PS4 much.
    WTF....you play one game...never heard of a person doing this

Well no wonder you are good at Call of Duty. I just don't get it because there are FPS games better than COD or at least as good: Doom, Battlefield, Wolfenstein. Killzone, Battleborn, Evolve, Duke Nukem.......have you ever given them a shot? Just curious as seems so odd.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    WTF....you play one game...never heard of a person doing this

Well no wonder you are good at Call of Duty. I just don't get it because there are FPS games better than COD or at least as good: Doom, Battlefield, Wolfenstein. Killzone, Battleborn, Evolve, Duke Nukem.......have you ever given them a shot? Just curious as seems so odd.
    That's about it in a nutshell. Only got into playstation because of Call of Duty. Black Ops 1 was my first game on the PS3 and I've been with them every since. But I had to put a stop to it with the latest Call of Duty. I've had enough of the bouncing off walls and jumping around in the air futuristic stuff. I'd be happy if COD went back to a WWII type game or even Vietnam. Something just boots on the ground type of gameplay.

It's funny with all the COD noobs that think Advanced Warfare, BO3 and Infinite Warfare are the end all be all. Cause you think about it, Advance Warfare is now a three year old game. Blacks Ops 1 on the other hand is a seven year old game!!

Call of Duty's last great game was Black Ops 2(2012) and the rest have just been slowly going downhill since.

I've honestly given thought to going over to Battlefield but never made the transition.

To be honest, I don't really care to sit and just play games all the time. Which is why I only gravitated to Call of Duty. The similarities of what I get to do in real life(actual range time with guns) and the stuff you could use in COD was fun. And since I can't blow stuff up in real life, well at least I can in COD. Believe me, there's nothing like shooting someone with a missile. When bullets and grenades just aren't enough, break out a shoulder fired missile and give em the business!!

The only other game I do have again is Valentino Rossi The Game(which is basically MotoGP 2016) and I love the game. It was enough to keep me busy during the winter. Now that real race season is here, I won't touch the game again until next winter.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

That's about it in a nutshell. Only got into playstation because of Call of Duty. Black Ops 1 was my first game on the PS3 and I've been with them every since. But I had to put a stop to it with the latest Call of Duty. I've had enough of the bouncing off walls and jumping around in the air futuristic stuff. I'd be happy if COD went back to a WWII type game or even Vietnam. Something just boots on the ground type of gameplay.

It's funny with all the COD noobs that think Advanced Warfare, BO3 and Infinite Warfare are the end all be all. Cause you think about it, Advance Warfare is now a three year old game. Blacks Ops 1 on the other hand is a seven year old game!!

Call of Duty's last great game was Black Ops 2(2012) and the rest have just been slowly going downhill since.

I've honestly given thought to going over to Battlefield but never made the transition.

To be honest, I don't really care to sit and just play games all the time. Which is why I only gravitated to Call of Duty. The similarities of what I get to do in real life(actual range time with guns) and the stuff you could use in COD was fun. And since I can't blow stuff up in real life, well at least I can in COD. Believe me, there's nothing like shooting someone with a missile. When bullets and grenades just aren't enough, break out a shoulder fired missile and give em the business!!

The only other game I do have again is Valentino Rossi The Game(which is basically MotoGP 2016) and I love the game. It was enough to keep me busy during the winter. Now that real race season is here, I won't touch the game again until next winter.
    You really should try some other FPS games then since you don't like how the COD series has went because some sound right what you like. Pretty sure Battlefield 4 was pure old school shooter. I bet if you gave some of them a shot you'd find out there. I'd let you borrow a few, but I know you live the secretive life

I really liked Doom...different FPS as you have to constantly kill to survive...they did a excellent job on the 3d version

FPS will always be my favorite, but these open world games are amazing to me. GTA redid LA, Watchdogs2 redid San Francisco, Sleeping Dogs redid Hong Kong, Second Son redid Seattle, etc.....all in amazingly very similar to the real cities.

Here is a cool video of the comparison of Watch Dogs 2 to the real San Fran:
    Last edited by bulldog; Wed Mar 22nd, 2017 at 08:05 AM.

GTA VS LA