Thread: Adjusting Rear Brake - Am I Doing It Wrong?

Adjusting Rear Brake - Am I Doing It Wrong?

I just did my annual maintenance routine (2010 Yamaha FJR 1300) and took it out for a short test ride. The routine includes re-installing battery, flushing cooling system, changing oil and filter, changing driveshaft oil, checking brake/clutch fluid, checking tire condition/pressure, looking for leaks/loose bolts, and cleaning/inspecting everything I can think of.

The bike is running great, but my rear brake seems to have too much "slack" before it engages. I adjusted/tightened the brake linkage, bled the system and topped off the fluid, but it still seems like I have to push down pretty far before I can feel the rear brake begin to grab. The brakes are fully hydraulic (twin disk front, single disk rear with linked ABS) so I don't think there are any other springs or cables that I can fiddle with.

Any advice?

How would you like to get roundhouse kicked with a motorcycle?

Re: Adjusting Rear Brake - Am I Doing It Wrong?

Not sure if just where they set that up and don't see a spec in the manual but almost an inch of travel on mine too ('13) before feeling the master.
    Last edited by Okrapp; Fri Mar 24th, 2017 at 06:32 PM.
    "On a cycle the frame is gone. You're completely in contact with it all. You're in the scene, not just watching it anymore, and the sense of presence is overwhelming.” Pirsig

Maybe the system develops more travel as the pads get worn down. Mine still look like they have some meat on them though. I checked YouTube and the FJR forum but couldn't find any info.

Board Newbie

Do you have a repair manual for your bike? I have found it to be useful for troubleshooting or just making sure that I have everything installed properly.

http://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index....owtopic=139387

Are yours linked? Have you completely flushed the brake fluid thru since new? Old fluid does absorb moisture over time.
    2000 Zx-12R; 2007 GSXR 600 (bosses bike)
    2016 BMW R1200RS Granite FOG ride
    09 G8GT, 02 WJ

Yes, the front and rear brakes are linked, but Yamaha did it in a way that is nearly unnoticeable.

I haven't replaced the fluid completely. I might try that. I took a ride today and the rear brake felt a little better. I don't think it was ever very responsive, but I like all the controls to be quick and light.

Power bleed the complete brake system. Since the front and rear are linked and ABS, there's about 15 feet of line to bleed, and a relatively small air bubble anywhere in the system will cause the symptoms you are having. The rear on the FJR will never have the "feel" of a direct actuation system, but steel braided lines (although very expensive and a bitch to install) help a bunch.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"