Thread: I had a pretty bad crash last summer... (video)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: I had a pretty bad crash last summer... (video)

Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy View Post
    Nate, you're preaching to choir here bro (and you must be bored at work). We all know the risks involved in riding. I feel safer 10 miles up Golden Gate Canyon on a Wednesday at 1PM on my Duke than in my truck on I-25 that same time of day. I don't ride in city traffic, on weekends or holidays, or with riders I don't know and trust. You can ride smart, or you can ride dumb. My safety on 2 wheels is 100% under my control. If you think otherwise, you shouldn't be riding. Can a rider do everything right and still be injured or killed, sure. It's a calculated risk those of us that ride accept. I hear cars are dangerous too, and I've pretty much given up driving in the city (not to mention traffic is a total CF 7AM-11PM daily). Again, I feel safer on my pedal bike, on a bike path than in my truck in city traffic. You decide for you, and I'll decide for me.
    Hey someone has to make posts around here to get people talking....if not we end up with a dead forum like it has been for weeks.

Anyways, I just don’t get your thinking Jon and you may “feel” safer in a Duke, than your truck, but common sense tells you that you are NOT safer…..but hey, like you said it is all our decisions and was never telling people to not ride; just know the risks.

You made the comment “People die on motorcycles because they make bad decisions.” And that is a stretch from the truth, so I posted stats to contradict your statement….that was all. Yet, now you changed it to “Can a rider do everything right and still be injured or killed, sure”, so that my friend is not the same as saying people die on motorcycles because they make bad decisions; you just said it does happen

Jon, the invite still stands for you to come to dinner with my wife and I so you can hear the other side that she sees as a ICU nurse; I bet it will change your perspective a bit….did for me anyways. For years I figured my defensive driving, experience, gear, etc would save me, until I saw how little it really does in a major accident and how fast your life can change….and burden your entire family.

Honestly, this is why I have taken a break from riding, because I agree with you and I should not be riding when I do not have my 100% confidence like I did when I was younger. It kind of sucks and I miss it, but “responsible” me just keeps saying it is not worth it since I finally have a wife I love more than anything that I’d hate to hurt. In the end I just can’t agree that “My safety on 2 wheels is 100% under my control” because I’ve seen way too many riders die/injured from no fault of their own…..shit happens. Overall, FOG is a dying breed in the sportbike world, and you have to ask why………

I didn’t mean no disrespect man, just thought it gave us something to talk about…..hence why I even put things about air-bags in hopes of sparking some conversations.

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
    Man you guys are all over the place in this thread.

I like Aaron's comment. It is something that has been discussed in detail on this forum in the past. It's especially true with the sheer ability and technology that is on the modern sport bike. It's pretty hard to argue that if the rider is prepared and educated the modern motorcycle can avoid 95% of accidents.

As far as airbag technology it is more widely used than you think. I have a D-Air suit that I wear on the street and track. It's pretty slick technology and pretty easy to use without any fear of false activations. It's a little expensive but way more economical than a visit to the hospital for even a simple injury.
    Sorry man, just not enough activity on board to break it up into different topics……plus, I am between projects as my new one got delayed by two weeks so I am doing “busy” work till then ….bored.

Believe me, I agree and the best defense is education and experience……I just can’t agree that “People die on motorcycles because they make bad decisions.” because that would be saying many people I know that died on them were at fault for their death….not all of them were…..some were.

Gramps, I’ve been out of the racing scene for a while, so it is good to know the airbag technology is being used; gives hope if pros use it, it actually works and will start to make its way down to the casual rider. I agree and if it prevents one hospital visit it pays for itself; I work in healthcare so I see the crazy bills people get.

Gramps or anyone, you plan to ever invest in some air bag technology? Heard anything about it going to a motorcycle helmet?

Quote Originally Posted by blaircsf View Post
    One of our local racers sells them: http://www.peregrinefalconracing.com/home.html

Between the add on type and the build in type (Dainese D-Air as example) they are becoming more prevalent.

In terms of the crash statistics, the one piece missing from your data is that (if I remember right) about half of motorcycle fatalities are single vehicle accidents.
    Nice, another manufacturer of them .....I really hope this catches on....technology rocks!

The "single vehicle" stat was mentioned in one of those articles, but I didn't want to post the entire thing so just left the links. Agree though, a lot more to these stats than can be summed up.
    Last edited by bulldog; Wed Apr 5th, 2017 at 07:42 AM.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!