Thread: Tire repair

Tire repair

Apparently I picked up a nail. I called APex and they said they can't repair due to liability. This tire has less than 100miles on it. Does anyone know anyone that will patch it for me??

Re: Tire repair

If the hole is in the meat of the tread (ie in the center third), and not near or in the sides, plug it and ride. I had a brand new Pilot Road 4 that picked up a nail. Stuck a "gummy worm" plug into it and am still riding it.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

yep... If I was home I could help you out.. I have some of the pull from the inside patchnplug style.
    2000 Zx-12R; 2007 GSXR 600 (bosses bike)
    2016 BMW R1200RS Granite FOG ride
    09 G8GT, 02 WJ

I have a tire plug kit that I use on my trucks/cars but didn't know if I could do that on the bike.

I would post a pic of where the nail is but I can't seem to figure out how to do that via my phone. I would say the nail it on the outter 3rd of the tire.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Rocfrog View Post
    I have a tire plug kit that I use on my trucks/cars but didn't know if I could do that on the bike.

I would post a pic of where the nail is but I can't seem to figure out how to do that via my phone. I would say the nail it on the outter 3rd of the tire.

Nick
    Yeah, that's a little sketchy with it being on the cornering part of the tire. If it were in the middle(meaty) part of the tire, a part which you travel on 90% of the time while riding in town, then you'd be o.k with plugging it. Since it's on the outer cornering part of the tire, the gummy plug may never fully melt into the tire and become one with the carcass.

The scenario is different for bikes vs. cars. It doesn't matter if a plug or a patch hold on a car. It just runs low on air and you get a flat again, not to mention you have three other tires that will help. On a bike, the plug or patch fails and you loose air quickly, which could mean a loss of control of the bike as you've just lost inflation to 50% of your contact patch with the surface.

Also, not a lot of places will patch or plug a motorcycle tire, they don't want the liability. You'll be on your own when repairing it.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

I only would use a plug to get me home. Then I would put on a brand new tire. Doesn't matter how low mileage the tire was

replace it. a new tire is way cheaper than a new bike, medical bills, etc...

Ok so I'll get a new tire, I was gonna buy a new front soon so I guess I'll just order the pair.

Anyone suggest any online places to get a smokin deal on them? I bought this new rear one from Apex and it wasn't too bad a price but if I can save some money this round that would be nice.

Nick

Dunlop has a rebate going so check for that... I order from Jake Wilson free 3 day shipping and most always have some of the best deals.
    09 G8GT, 02 WJ

Nick, I used to use Motorcycle Superstore for tires, however I found that the guy at Wheel works, 890-A Dublin Ave, 448-9400, will match the online prices, and his mounting/balancing rates are the best in town. He may have to order the tires you want, but he'll save you some money, treat you right, and you'd be supporting local business.

If you're Denver area, we have some of the best pricing around(all brands), exclusive Dunlop Pro Dealer rebates, and we can sell you a road hazard warranty(national). Plus we mount and balance, and provide free verbal abuse!
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Quote Originally Posted by TFOGGuys View Post
    If you're Denver area, we have some of the best pricing around(all brands), exclusive Dunlop Pro Dealer rebates, and we can sell you a road hazard warranty(national). Plus we mount and balance, and provide free verbal abuse!
    Wait, waht? Free verbal abuse??? Why wasn't I told? Worth the drive for that!!!!

You guys have a dyno??? I wanna test my Beemer when the mods are done....
    09 G8GT, 02 WJ

No dyno at this time. The guy who's dyno I used to use closed up shop and sold it.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Quote Originally Posted by TFOGGuys View Post
    No dyno at this time. The guy who's dyno I used to use closed up shop and sold it.
    Well shucks.
    09 G8GT, 02 WJ

My Dad has a GS, I don't think you can dyno them, they're too big!

What are you doing to it?

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    My Dad has a GS, I don't think you can dyno them, they're too big!

What are you doing to it?
    LOL GS are fat... only because of all the farkle owners hang off them

I am putting on a full GPR exhaust, filter and booster plug, and down the road probably PCV with Auto Tune, so I wanted to get a comparison
    My RS will be lighter than my 12R it looks like... not by much but a tad. I am going to weigh them both after I get done swapping parts on the RS
    09 G8GT, 02 WJ