Thread: Renting a sport bike in Colorado?

Question Renting a sport bike in Colorado?

Hi all! I'm a Finnish motorist and visiting Colorado in May. I've been looking for renting a sport bike but it seems that all the rental companies offer mainly cruisers, adventure bikes or heavy touring bikes. I'm looking for a 600-1000cc sport bike. At home I ride KTM RC8R 2012 and Triumph Daytona 955i CE 2002. My wife just bought Honda CBR 600F 2011, so we like sport bikes

I found this old thread by DRKATO1 but his RC51 rental page has apparently been down for a while now:

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forum...o-other-people

The new Riders Share peer-to-peer rental network (https://www.riders-share.com/) has very limited selection in Colorado as well.

Any ideas where I could find a sport bike for rental?

If there are any individuals or clubs willing to rent a bike for 3rd May - 7th May, I'd been willing to pay decent price based on the bike make and age. Basically any decent sport bike that has been made since 2000 and is working normally would do. I've been riding since 1996.

Here is a pic from Australia from month ago where I rented 899 Panigale from http://westcoastmotorcyclehire.com.au/. Awesome weather, great roads, superb bike

http://i.imgur.com/2GrQbnl.jpg

Re: Renting a sport bike in Colorado?

Good luck finding anyone. Blame the high cost of insurance for killing off anything that's non-cruiser. I was able to rent 600's (CBR & GSX-R) in southern California about a decade ago, but nothing here in Denver.

Sport touring bikes like the BMW R1200 or Concourse 14 are about as sporty as you can find. http://www.rental-motorcycle.com/nam...er_rental.html
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

There have been a couple attempts at doing sportbike rentals but they didn't last too long. Another source for the sport-touring segment is http://www.tourbikes.com, their rates are somewhat better than rental-motorcycle.com

Not quite what you are looking for but check out https://houseofmotorrad.com/ located in Boulder. Don't know much about them except I walk by the building once in a while when I am on lunch break

A while back a member posted this site; may be worth checking out:
    https://www.riders-share.com/

This was about as Sporty as I saw in CO listings (Ducati Multistrada 1100 S
    2008 ): https://www.riders-share.com/listing/jB4Jp7zhMGNZCDuuu

EDIT: Ooops. guess you already checked here....my bad.
    Last edited by bulldog; Mon Apr 17th, 2017 at 09:20 AM.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

If it wasn't for the obvious insurance risk.. nahh not likely anyone is going to rent/loan you their bike...
    2000 Zx-12R; 2007 GSXR 600 (bosses bike)
    2016 BMW R1200RS Granite FOG ride
    09 G8GT, 02 WJ

Quote Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
    If it wasn't for the obvious insurance risk.. nahh not likely anyone is going to rent/loan you their bike...
    I was wondering how this "RiderShare" dealt with that and found this (should we be worried they spelled "liability" wrong. haha) :

You are Protected
    Remember, Riders Share protects each rental with up to one million dollars in liablity protection. We strive for a safe and enjoyable experience for everyone involved.

Doesn't even show insurance is required by the rider; only these:

Renters must meet the following requirements:
    • Be 25 years of age
    • Have 3 years riding experience
    • Have a license with motorcycle endorsement (car license for 3-wheeled vehicles)
    • We take licenses from most countries!
    • Have safe driving record

Shows they take 30% commission, so maybe this is how they provide coverage

EDIT: Wait, isn't liability coverage only to cover damages to another person resulting from an accident you cause.....so no idea how the bike is covered in a wreck.
    Last edited by bulldog; Mon Apr 17th, 2017 at 10:06 AM.

Then again,

You might want to change your visit to Southern California. http://www.racyrentals.com/english/r...p.aspx?v=12556
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

yep, liability only covers the other guy. You're shit outta luck on fixing yours.
    09 G8GT, 02 WJ

So, valid MC license, and $5000 deposit... what would be a good $$ to rent mine out per day... heh heh

And then what do you do about gear?
    09 G8GT, 02 WJ

Quote Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
    yep, liability only covers the other guy. You're shit outta luck on fixing yours.
    Yeah sounds like the "rider" is responsible for the damage to the bike....which makes me think you would have to personally sue the rider if they decided to not fix the damage. If the person has full auto coverage it may cover it, but if the person also only has liability not sure how that works.

EDIT: So a search on internet shows auto insurance does NOT cover a motorcycle:

This is of paramount importance—not only are you not covered for injuries and damages to your bike with your car insurance, but you have no liability coverage, either, and if you cause an accident, you could be solely responsible for all damages.
    http://www.carinsurance101.com/will-.../#.WPTuK9LytD8
    Last edited by bulldog; Mon Apr 17th, 2017 at 10:33 AM.

I found sport rentals a few years ago in North Carolina and Atlanta. Really enjoyed a Buell 1125R on one trip. Lately, sport rentals are hard to find everywhere but SoCal. Plenty of cruisers, a few baggers and ADV type bikes for rent. Good luck OP.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Yeah I saw that in some states they do rent sport bikes. For example, in Phoenix they have quite a range of 600cc racers. Perhaps insurances are bit different in Arizone then(?)

Thanks for the info everyone - I'll try my luck with Multistrada @ Riders Share... Anyone have experiences with Multistrada?

Just out of curiosity, what is the price for full cover bike insurance in Colorado? Here in Finland I pay about $900 per year for my KTM RC8R insurance, which covers theft, collision with animals (moose and deer mainly in here), fire, vandalism etc. However, it does not cover if I crash it on my own. That kind of full coverage would be bit more expensive, prolly around 1200$ or so, even with maxed out bonuses.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoVisitor View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what is the price for full cover bike insurance in Colorado? Here in Finland I pay about $900 per year for my KTM RC8R insurance, which covers theft, collision with animals (moose and deer mainly in here), fire, vandalism etc. However, it does not cover if I crash it on my own. That kind of full coverage would be bit more expensive, prolly around 1200$ or so, even with maxed out bonuses.
    Waaaay too many variables to answer that. It depends on so many things. Married or single, your age, your driving record, type of bike, how many other items you have insured with a company.

In my case, my 2016 R1M full coverage is $626.95 for twelve months. That covers everything. Fire, theft, I can even throw it off a cliff and it's covered.

From what I hear, that's pretty damn cheap, but I'm married, perfect driving record, everything we own is insured with one company, etc.
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

I have full coverage, plus $3500 accessories, for 4 sportbikes (3 are 1000-1200 cc), $33 a month... helps to be an old fart and live in the woods...
    09 G8GT, 02 WJ

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoVisitor View Post

Thanks for the info everyone - I'll try my luck with Multistrada @ Riders Share... Anyone have experiences with Multistrada?
    You will probably love the multi for Colorado riding. I've ridden one a bit(buddies bike) and it was a blast! I'd buy one if I had enough garage for another bike.
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

Unfortunately the Multistrada has been unlisted from the selection

Board Newbie

Have you checked out this site? http://www.rentittoday.com/motorcycle-rentals It looks like a database of different rental shops with several in CO. I haven't used it but it might be worth looking into.

Yeah I've checked it. As it is a 3rd party website summarizing the selection, it seems to be bit outdated as some of the bikes there have been actually sold by the rental companies some time ago (e.g. BMW F800S).

I tried my luck with the BMW F800GS in Riders Share but it was unavailable as well

Now I just try to grab on... something