Thread: Visiting Colorado - routes to ride, places to see?

Visiting Colorado - routes to ride, places to see?

Hi all! I'm visiting Colorado and I have few days on my disposal with rental bike (prolly Kawa Concourse 14 or adv bike 800-1200cc). I was wondering what would be the places to see and nice routes? I'll be staying in Denver downtown.

I had an idea to visit the Four Corners Monument but dunno if it is worth the long ride?

Any recommandations on the bike for touring Colorado - kawa sports tourer or adv bike?

All tips, tricks and recommendations welcome

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

Re: Visiting Colorado - routes to ride, places to see?

Hi and Welcome!

Here are some fun local roads to check out in the area:

Hwy 7
    Peak to Peak
    Golden Gate
    Bear Creek
    Deer Creek
    North Turkey Creek
    South Turkey Creek
    Foxton
    Deckers
    Hwy 105
    Hwy 6 to Central City / Blackhawk
    Squaw Pass
    Loveland Pass
    Berthoud Pass

There are a ton of other roads up North but I'm terrible at remembering names, but I'm sure someone can chime in and let you know!
    Happy visiting!
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Sol Performance - Pirelli Tires

All those roads that Sully mentioned are easy day rides from downtown.

Print or download this map https://www.codot.gov/safety/live-to...enver-NWCO.pdf
    It was put together with the help from senior members of this forum.
    The roads marked in orange and red are the most fun.

Further north:
    Hwy 34,
    Rist Canyon
    Poudre Canyon.

Further west, you head up to really high mountain passes and panoramic vistas of summit county. My favorites:
    Old Loveland Pass
    Tennessee Pass to Leadville,
    Hwy 24 from Leadville to Vail,
    .. depending on time of year, Independence Pass to Aspen may or may not be open.

4 Corners would be a scenic overnight trip, but the destination itself isn't all that spectacular. Along the way however, you can hit the Million Dollar Hwy north of Durango. Though unless you want to simply log miles, I'd recommend staying closer to Denver and try out the local canyons.

Tips:
    Weekends near town suck, unless you get out early the traffic (and police) can get heavy. Weekdays are nice.
    Beware of sand, especially after local rain showers.
    Check the "Canyon conditions" thread for late updates on road construction
    Trail Ridge Rd over Rocky Mountain National Park is scenic but not open until after Memorial Day
    Same for Independence Pass, usually after Memorial Day.

I forget, when are you here again?

As for bike setup, carry raingear in summer. We usually get rain showers every afternoon in early summer.

We also have a Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/cosp...?ref=bookmarks - you can post up when you are here and see if anyone is available to play tour guide
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Thx for great info! Ill be riding from Thursday to Sunday... Fri and Sat are available for full day riding.

Hwy 119/72 (Peak to Peak Hwy through Nederland) is the main north south route between Golden and Estes Park - several fun canyons off the side that offer twisties.

The town of Deckers is a meeting place for riders on weekends. Be aware that 67 east of Deckers looks twisty but there is a section of unpaved dirt/gravel - doable on the BMW ADV bike but more challenging for the Kawi.

For food: I recommend in addition to Deckers, the Wondervue Cafe along Hwy 72, James Peak Brewery in Nederland, Miner St in Idaho Springs, Oskar Blues and Stone Cup in Lyons, and Main St in Frisco as places to find good eats.

Dawn and dusk in the foothills are times there might be deer along the road, be extra careful.
    Last edited by asp_125; Wed May 3rd, 2017 at 08:08 AM.
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoVisitor View Post
    Thx for great info! Ill be riding from Thursday to Sunday... Fri and Sat are available for full day riding.
    Awesome timing, weather's supposed to be great for riding. No rain!

IF you are feeling really really adventurous, book a room in Durango and Gunnison, leave early Friday and come home Sunday afternoon:
    https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Denv...39.7392358!3e0
    Last edited by asp_125; Wed May 3rd, 2017 at 12:57 PM.
    my Facebook, SpeedShots

If you ride Rist Canyon Rd west, it ends at Stove Prairie Rd. Go right (north) on over to Poudre Canyon. Head up and over Cameron Pass and drop into Walden. From there, you can ride to Steamboat Springs via Rabbit Ears Pass for an overnight stay, or head back to Denver via Granby, Winter Park and over Berthoud Pass. If you spend the night in Steamboat, take Hwy 131 south out of Steamboat next day to Hwy 134 and over Gore Pass. You can take Hwy 40 to Granby, Winter Park, I-70 to return to Denver or take Hwy 9 in Kremmling to check out Frisco, Breckenridge and return to I-70 via Hwy 6 and Loveland Pass. These roads are not that far from Denver and will not disappoint, esp. on a weekday.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Thank you once again - excellent intel