Thread: Sump pit/pump question

Sump pit/pump question

Im selling my home and recently had a home inspection done. One of the things that came back was the water level in the sump pit. I dont have a pump as there has never been any water issues, as in the water level in the pit has never risen or fallen more than an inch or so.

The inspector is saying that the water level is at the inlet pipe level and now the buyers are requesting a pump be installed.

My question is, is this necessary? I feel like I could probably clean the pit out and move on but I have no experience with this. There have never been any issues with water or moisture in the basement and while I understand their concern I dont think a pump is required.

Honestly, if I would have thought about it before hand, I would have cleaned it up prior to inspection...

Mo-Door.com - Contact me for CSC pricing

Mo-Door on: Twitter Facebook

Re: Sump pit/pump question

Hindsight, yup, it's still 20/20! Cleaning it out now won't help you. It's already on the inspection report. Therefore, you're putting a pump in.

If you get a good rain and with the water level already at the inlet, it will flood. You've probably been pretty lucky it hasn't happened already.

I have to put pits in all my homes. Rarely is a pump installed as well, but if any water at all enters, a pump gets installed.
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

Quote Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean View Post
    Hindsight, yup, it's still 20/20! Cleaning it out now won't help you. It's already on the inspection report. Therefore, you're putting a pump in.

If you get a good rain and with the water level already at the inlet, it will flood. You've probably been pretty lucky it hasn't happened already.

I have to put pits in all my homes. Rarely is a pump installed as well, but if any water at all enters, a pump gets installed.
    Yeah I agree....got to put the pump in if you want to sell. Been through similar situations before with a inspector and never got them to budge....they are strict. I'm sure it is a liability issue and if inspector missed that, it may come back to him if it ever flooded
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

In my experiences selling houses a lot of these type things are used for bargaining tools. Get a couple of quotes on the installation and then offer the buyer concessions to cover the cost. That's probably what they want anyway.
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

These are totally bargaining tools. You don't HAVE to do anything. It all depends on the market, how bad you need to sell, how bad the buyer wants your place, etc. Considering the Denver market, buyers have zero bargaining power to request you do these types of things. I would respond telling them your experience, that it's never been a problem, and that you aren't doing it. To play devils advocate to myself, however, that course of action does have the potential to ruin the deal, so you have to ask yourself if the couple hundred dollars is worth losing the deal. I'm guessing it won't effect it though, not in this market. I would consult with your realtor and see what they say (although it's in their best interest to make the sale, and if you spending some extra money helps that, they may say do it, can you trust your realtor is impartial?)
    The Toys:
    05 Suzuki SV1000S
    07 KTM 450EXC
    00 Toyota MR2
    76 Toyota Landcruiser Rockcrawler
    13 Yeti SB66c
    Too many skis to list

I appreciate the feedback.

I should have mentioned that the house is under contract and the inspector was hired by the buyers.

The buyers are requesting a pump and drain line be installed based on the inspectors findings. I agree with teamextreme, its a sellers market and I think I can get by refusing this one. There is a small crack in the master bedroom shower pan that supposedly is causing moisture below. I only say that because I was in there from the back side of the other wall not long ago and there wasnt any. Either way, the pan is cracked and will be a concession at closing.

Fixing one issue and letting them fix the other seems fair.
    Mo-Door.com - Contact me for CSC pricing

Mo-Door on: Twitter Facebook

Have to agree with Kim & Dean, Bulldog on this.

Honestly, don't see how you've made it so long with no pump. As said, you've gotten lucky. Sump pumps are there not only in the event you take on water from the outside, but also to purge water from a break inside the home. It's mainly there so your basement doesn't flood. Obviously, if you have a break inside, you're going to get some flooding. But the sump will keep it down.

One thing you can do is go rent a pit pump to purge the water. Then wait and see how fast it fills up. Sure it may seem to take awhile or never fill all the way up. But sump pumps are also there for your water table. With the up and down weather we have here in Colorado, they are worth installing. Mine runs all the time in Summer. Mainly from ground water and rain saturation. I also think that I've got a neighbor up the street that have a leak but can't do anything about that. In the Winter time it hardly ever runs. Though when we have these wet periods with lots of rain, no joke mine will go off about every 30 minutes.

I agree, these things are bargaining chips. But they are worthwhile bargaining chips. I've got a co-worker that is going through something similar with his roof on his new home. Bought it back in August of last year and in their agreement the former owner agreed to do repairs/upgrades that had been recommended by the inspector. Well now that's he's getting his roof redone, some things have surfaced that show the repairs/upgrades weren't done. Apparently from what I understand, he's got a leg to stand on and can go back on the Seller on a breach of contract. Granted, when you buy things most of the time there is an "As Is" clause in there. However, when something gets put in writing(which he has it) and then don't get taken care of, well then you've got a breach of contract.

As with anything that I've sold in the past(vehicles, motorcycles, firearms) I always put in writing, "Sold As Is", "No Refunds or Returns" and "Nothing extra promised otherwise noted"... Because once I get my bill of sale signed and the buyer acknowledges everything. It then becomes their problem from then on...

CYA man, could come back to bite you if you don't install a sump pump for the new buyer.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."