Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Onboard dash cameras

Re: Onboard dash cameras

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Thus sayeth the god of GoPro, so let it be written, so let it be done...
    I've had a Contour HD for years and used it for snowboarding and riding. They do sell a dash mount

http://contour.com/

Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    I've had a Contour HD for years and used it for snowboarding and riding. They do sell a dash mount

http://contour.com/

That's a nice rig. I think there are a host of options out there, just depends on the individual's specific needs.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Quote Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean View Post
    I don't have any of the problems you described...
    You do have these problems. All GoPro's do. Google any single one, and you will find thousands of articles about it. Because I did in an effort to solve them.

It's a great camera, you'll get no argument, but you need to be aware of it's limitations, and tailor what camera works best for your uses. As a dash cam? My cell phone works better.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    You do have these problems. All GoPro's do. Google any single one, and you will find thousands of articles about it. Because I did in an effort to solve them.

It's a great camera, you'll get no argument, but you need to be aware of it's limitations, and tailor what camera works best for your uses. As a dash cam? My cell phone works better.
    This sort of heresy will anger the GoPro god.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

I also have a GoPro but the battery and max record time doesn't work for me if it's always in the car. Most dash cams have loop recorded if and auto on which I like. I just worry about quality when you actually need it

Quote Originally Posted by matt2778 View Post
    I also have a GoPro but the battery and max record time doesn't work for me if it's always in the car. Most dash cams have loop recorded if and auto on which I like. I just worry about quality when you actually need it
    I think that's why I went back and forth between the Viofo A119 and the Aukey. In the end they both seemed to give very close results in picture quality based on some YouTube videos. I liked the price of the Aukey, and again, read a few comments on it from people saying it did well in just about any temperature. Which is what I was looking for the most. I want it to work in the dead of winter on a cold day, and on our hottest summer days.

And like you, I wanted a camera that just turns on and starts recording when the car starts. GoPro's(least mine does) have to be turned on and a button pushed every time for recording to take place.

I prefer the looping option as well and just want it to write over the old stuff. If there is a event that should happen, then I'll be downloading it asap.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    You do have these problems.
    Nope, not one of them!

My camera gets a little warm sometimes, but has never gotten hot. Truck or bike, doesn't matter. With the battery eliminator, I have run the camera for five hours straight. No problems!

Never had Wi-Fi randomly turn on. Never.

Never had the camera freeze up. Never.

Looping works perfectly no matter what SD card is in it. Just prefer not to use it so it doesn't over-write anything important.

I guess you just have to be a god (or police, which ever it is today) to make the GoPro work properly! Sad, insignificant, little people!
    Last edited by Kim-n-Dean; Tue Aug 22nd, 2017 at 07:47 AM.
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

This thread is so confusing First it says how the GoPro is the best, but then goes on to list all the problems it has...then others say they don't have these problems with it.

Honestly Dean is a smart guy and very tech savy so I'd have to go with his review as the guy usually knows his sh*t!. Overall it will be recording a road (for evidence) so I don't think many cameras would not do what you need them to do....heck your phone could too.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean View Post
    Nope, not one of them!

My camera gets a little warm sometimes, but has never gotten hot. Truck or bike, doesn't matter. With the battery eliminator, I have run the camera for five hours straight. No problems!

Never had Wi-Fi randomly turn on. Never.

Never had the camera freeze up. Never.

Looping works perfectly no matter what SD card is in it. Just prefer not to use it so it doesn't over-write anything important.

I guess you just have to be a god (or police, which ever it is today) to make the GoPro work properly! Sad, insignificant, little people!
    Yeah you're right, maybe I ran off a little reckless with that whole god of GoPro talk. How about Emperor of GoPro, I like that better..

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

Anyone have a gm vehicle? I bought the aukey cam but it's supposed to shut off when the power is turned off. Since gm power outlets always have power the camera doesn't shut off. I guess I'll have to wire its own keyed on power. Anyone else have a gm vehicle?

Quote Originally Posted by matt2778 View Post
    Anyone have a gm vehicle? I bought the aukey cam but it's supposed to shut off when the power is turned off. Since gm power outlets always have power the camera doesn't shut off. I guess I'll have to wire its own keyed on power. Anyone else have a gm vehicle?
    Yeah, I have a new GM and my Aukey shuts off when I turn the car off. Which power outlet did you go to? I'm using the one located in my dash right under the stereo. Seems that it's set up that power goes out to it when the car is off. I've got power in my center console under the arm rest and one in the back of the console for people in the backseat, but I didn't try these for power.

You may even try to use a USB port if your car has one(the ones in my car are all powered when the car is on only). I've got four in my car but none are easily accessed so I used the power plug that came with the kit.

Also remember, your Aukey has a motion sensor setting, and if you've got it turned on, that may be what's keeping your camera on.

If you've plugged yours into the cigarette lighter plug, then yeah it would be on all the time.
    Last edited by The Black Knight; Wed Sep 6th, 2017 at 09:45 PM. Reason: changed a word :)
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

Both my power outlet and cigarette light outlet have power when the key is off. I have an older gm truck and looking around they all are light that. My Toyota only has power when the key is on. Just wonder long how everyone else was running it

Board Newbie

I like the cool features of Blackvue dashcam, though it comes with a hefty price tag.