Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dead forum?

Re: Dead forum?

Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy View Post
    FB has private groups that provide fast, up to date info. I'm a member of a MTB trail riding group that has some 9,000 members. Want to know today's trail conditions? Someone has ridden it in the last 12 hours or less. Have a mechanical question? Someone has done what you're working, just post a pic. Want to sell a bike or motorcycle? There are big groups for both. I sold my DRZ next day via FB group Colorado Moto Buy/Sell/Trade. It's much more than keeping up with friends and HS classmates.
    I'm not saying there is an inherent evil to Facebook, just think for the most part it's over blown BS with news feeds from people on their lunch breaks. I get your point, and I'm sure Facebook has plenty to offer in terms of networking with people in a given sport as you mentioned.

However, have a mechanical question?? Guess what, I turn on YouTube and find the answers myself. Or I just go on the many countless automotive forums out there that offer tech help.

Bulldog mentioned that forums the world over are dying a slow death and to an extent I agree. However, the Camaro forum I was on, and I'm still on as the car I have now has the same V6 my Camaro had, is a booming forum. But then again, that forum does encompass a world wide audience. The Colorado Sportbike Forum, not so much.

Also if I want to buy/sell or trade. I usually look to Ebay or Craigslist. Very rarely will I go to a forum specific place that is dedicated to a small contingent of people. I've sold many guitars and amps, and tons of motorcycle equipment on Ebay. Why? because I can reach a vastly superior audience of buyers than I can here on CoSportbikeForum. Sure, I'll post the same stuff here in hopes to sell it locally. But at the same time, I'll place it up on Ebay or Craigslist where I know I'm guaranteed hits on my for sale items.

And while I do get that Facebook is way more than what it seems, to me it was nothing more than for keeping up with past friends and HS classmates. That's all it ever amounted to me. It's a great idea and most people(over a billion users now??) like Facebook. There are those of us, that either just don't like it or don't really see the point of Facebook.

Take Twitter for instance. I'm not going to get political here but a good example is our President. Now, while I am a fan of our current President and was happy to vote for him. I really, vehemently hate the fact that he uses Twitter. Why?? Because Twitter is mainly for people who post up pointless sh*t that no one cares about. It's for those that just have way to much time on their hands and need that instant gratification of acceptance or likes or whatever the hell it is that Twitter has to offer. It's basically Instagram, with just words and nothing else. Speaking of a waste of time, nothing is more menial, self centered, narcissistic and vanity driven than Instagram. I mean, how many freaking selfies do you really need???

The President of the United States has no business using Twitter.

Twitter is a good and wonderful concept. 140 characters to use, which means keeping it short and simple to get a message out. If the President used it as such, it might be a good thing. Letting people know about a such and such House Bill, or the Senate is considering this or that, or the Supreme Court is set to hear this or that monumental case. Then I'd be all for the President using Twitter. But to use it to tell us CNN sucks, yeah kind of preaching to the choir there we get it. No one likes CNN. I understand people can follow each other and get instant feeds or some news. I get the point of twitter, I just have no use for it. I can turn on the radio, watch the local news or check for news online to get my information.

As with most things, Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, Instagram they all get abused. If they were used for what they were intended then they would be really beneficial. As with most things, it's the dickheads that use the stuff that ruin it for everyone else.

Myself, I prefer the forums. It's more engaging, with people who do participate offering up their thoughts and ideas. Isn't that the whole reason why this country is hip deep in sh*t right now?? People have stopped the dialogue and all we hear is BS from both sides. No one takes the time to intelligently debate their stance or points of view. Rather, let's go kick the crap out of others, spray them with pepperspray and quell any form of free speech they are seeking to use.

Come on people, Internet Forums Lives matter too
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

I used to ride with brat. Not sure whatever happened to him. I remember the old days even during winter we'd still meet up at buffalo wild wings and stuff. Now I'm old and I usually just ride by myself down 115 or up 83 to Denver. Being around here since 03 or so I think the only Denver guy I met was barn he came down to buy my tv

Quote Originally Posted by KennyFish View Post
    I used to ride with brat. Not sure whatever happened to him. I remember the old days even during winter we'd still meet up at buffalo wild wings and stuff. Now I'm old and I usually just ride by myself down 115 or up 83 to Denver. Being around here since 03 or so I think the only Denver guy I met was barn he came down to buy my tv
    Was he the one who crashed a lot?? Or am I thinking of someone else. The guy I'm thinking of used to crash all the time up in Deckers and had a TL1000R if I remember right. I might be thinking of someone completely different.

Yeah same here, only met a few Northies myself...
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Lets get a little Southie ride together in a couple weeks... Deckers or Tarryall or Bishops?
    2000 Zx-12R; 2007 GSXR 600 (bosses bike)
    2016 BMW R1200RS Granite FOG ride
    09 G8GT, 02 WJ

I'm not down south, but second the Facebook part. Younger riders coming up don't know anything about forums, and many of the older crew have either moved over to Facebook, have quit riding sporties or quit riding altogether. I don't know what it's like in other parts of the country, but the sport is dying here. The cost of owning a sportbike increased too much too fast, which killed it as a cheap transportation option for younger peeps. Those of us who are older with more disposable income are still riding, but are holding on to our rides longer - no more upgrades to the newer model every 2 years. The traffic here has gotten so bad that lots of people no longer want to risk riding on the street, and the track isn't an option for a lot of people.

Quote Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
    Lets get a little Southie ride together in a couple weeks... Deckers or Tarryall or Bishops?
    I'm good with a Tarryall run. Haven't ridden that in a while!

Gold Member

brat is still alive and well. I'll tell him to check in here.

Yep still alive. Retired and fishing all the time.
    Still got the TLR. I'll be riding it more next year. I'm getting fishing footage for a YouTube channel etc. I'd post a pic if I could figure this stupid phone out.

Quote Originally Posted by bennice View Post
    I'm not down south, but second the Facebook part. Younger riders coming up don't know anything about forums, and many of the older crew have either moved over to Facebook, have quit riding sporties or quit riding altogether. I don't know what it's like in other parts of the country, but the sport is dying here. The cost of owning a sportbike increased too much too fast, which killed it as a cheap transportation option for younger peeps. Those of us who are older with more disposable income are still riding, but are holding on to our rides longer - no more upgrades to the newer model every 2 years. The traffic here has gotten so bad that lots of people no longer want to risk riding on the street, and the track isn't an option for a lot of people.
    Hit the nail square on the head with this.

Traffic is horrendous and one of the reasons I went to the track. Yeah, just sold the Gixxer back in April and had it back in street form mainly to sell it. But I wasn't about to start riding it seriously back and forth to work. I would ride it just for a day here and there to work. To commute with on a daily?? Nope, wouldn't happen.

I agree, the price of bikes shot up quickly and changed the sport fast. I remember you could pick up a 600cc for less than $7k brand new, and 1000's for less than $10k. I haven't looked at prices recently, but last time I saw some at Rocky Mountain, prices for 600's are over $10k and the 1000's prices are a joke now.

And you're right, those of us that are older have either moved on from Sportbikes or quit the sport altogether. I know, that if I do get another bike it will be a cruiser. I'm done with sportbikes now, gave it a good last run of three years at the track with the last bike. But again, going back to the traffic issue, why the hell buy a cruiser just to get sucked into the horrible traffic. I basically look at it now that I will never get on another bike. And I'm o.k. with that, I've had my time on two wheels. Did a lot of riding in the last 13 years and live a good two wheel life. It's just time to move on and for many people we hit that realization.

I agree, the sport is dying and not as big here as it once was. You don't see the huge group rides anymore. Hell, I don't even see the massive amounts of squids anymore running up and down Powers or Academy. Used to be on a Friday or Saturday night, they'd all gather up at the Shell on Academy and do hot laps around the malls and Academy. Now, I rarely hear them if I'm out and about at night. The sport is still big in Cali, Florida and Texas where the weather is awesome year round. Colorado just spends 6 months of the year with dead landscape and cold temps, so it makes it hard for folks to enjoy two wheels on a comfortable level.

I know I became a fair weather rider. I used to start riding to work in March and ride clear into November when I was younger. As I got older, I realized it wasn't worth the 20 degree morning temps, just to enjoy 60's or 70's on the way home. When I switched over to track it was even worse. I didn't start signing up for track days until June rolled around. I wanted heat to ride in and have fun.

So, it changes for everyone....
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

Depending on day I'm in for a ride!

I have to agree and the increase in traffic is one of the reason I just didn't enjoy riding as much. 18 years ago I'd go up Deer Creek Canyon and be lucky to see a few cars and maybe a motorcycle or two. As time went by it got more and more packed as more traffic hit. Then the increase also brought police attention so it got to be where the canyons were packed and if you did get any open road there was probably a cop or two waiting to get you. Same with Deckers and some other popular canyon rides.....too many people and cops!

The more cars out, the more risk it becomes to sportbikes. Like BK said a daily commute to work got to be too dangerous as I was almost killed a few times working in downtown Denver. Yet I did it for 10+ years, but the more Denver got packed, the less fun it became....I hate sitting in traffic on a sportbike...especially because I always wear leather and a helmet.

Plus now cops are not messing around with sportbikes. Most catch you messing around they give out reckless driving tickets which basically is very close to getting your license revoked...who can afford that. A simple race is now a 12 point "contest of speed" and can land you in jail.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

I'm on farmersonly.com most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by mdub View Post
    I'm on farmersonly.com most of the time.
    Isn't that the site that really should be called "whites only" .com

Last edited by bulldog; Mon Aug 28th, 2017 at 11:32 AM.

As for the whole "getting older"part... Now this I believe in. I can only speak for myself, but I've purchased my last sportbike... The tuono is a great bike and tons of fun to play on, but I don't want to ride it all day. No need to freeze my ass off trying to ride in the winter. Next bike in my garage will most likely be an ADV tourer. Perhaps even a cruiser. Whether or not the Aprilia stays or goes, well, that's a good question that I haven't been able to answer yet.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    Isn't that the site that really should be called "whites only" .com

Yeah man ... found a lot of lonely women in all shades of the rainbow..

I think also contributing to the lack of interest in CSC is that many of the OG have stopped organizing rides and events. We haven't had a newbie ride or picnic in years, or the north meets south ride, partly because the older members have moved on. I myself have stopped hooning around in the canyons preferring to ride more sedately because of cops and traffic - don't even want to deal with the cars and bicyclists on the weekends, why bother?
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    I think also contributing to the lack of interest in CSC is that many of the OG have stopped organizing rides and events. We haven't had a newbie ride or picnic in years, or the north meets south ride, partly because the older members have moved on. I myself have stopped hooning around in the canyons preferring to ride more sedately because of cops and traffic - don't even want to deal with the cars and bicyclists on the weekends, why bother?
    This, just the whole thing has changed entirely. Riding here used to be fun, now with the apocalyptic wave of idiots that moved here, my bike moves once a month for maybe brunch or a super early quick canyon ride and back home when I used to put over 20k a year on bikes easily back in the day. Just not the same, also most OG riders have either sold their bikes, gone to the ADV/long distance rides or just ride with other OG riders privately.
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Shit I have not done a canyon ride all summer. I have just ride to work and back. I might do a ride this week WTF

Senior Member Moderator

I admit it, I lurk sometimes. I do miss the dirty dirty, it was nice when we could get the usual suspects together for a bike night. Living in UT now so I don't see anybody any more. If you guys ever end up heading out this way, shoot me a PM and let me know! I'd be happy to meet up with any of you and hit some roads!

@Salsa, the Tuono is so awesome is it not? I've been having a blast on mine!
    [IMG][/IMG]

I'm happy the forums still get some activity. Most of you are great guys that I never got to meet in-person. Stay safe out there!

That picture is badass! Body position looks good.

...partly because the older members have moved on.

I was looking at new Corvettes today. Base model Vette making 450 or so HP with 7 speed manual tranny just $58,935.
    Last edited by FZRguy; Tue Aug 29th, 2017 at 12:17 AM.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Quote Originally Posted by FZRguy View Post
    ...partly because the older members have moved on.

I was looking at new Corvettes today. Base model Vette making 450 or so HP with 7 speed manual tranny just $58,935.
    No way you are thinking of giving up on two wheels right?????

I agree those new vets are great cars; to me probably the best American made car out. The Z06 (and soon to be released Z08 are awesome cars! ) Do it man!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Drano View Post
    @Salsa, the Tuono is so awesome is it not? I've been having a blast on mine!
    I miss being able to ride long distance like I could on the Multistrada... But hands down, this bike has delivered the most smiles per miles of any bike I've owned.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

The only thing that'd stop me from going cross country on Dranos Tunono is Drano. And the windscreen. But bolt a Honda Goldwing windscreen to it and I'd ride it all day.