Beta dropped last night for PS4 folks. I managed to play it a bit. Supposed to be available all weekend long and then we get another Beta weekend starting on Sept. 5th I believe. Which will be for everyone PS4, Xbox and PC.

Initial thoughts. The game is fun and fast paced. We only have three maps to run around. They are somewhat small to medium sized. Nothing large that takes a little more time to get used to. With even skipping COD Infinite Warfare, it was nice to get back in the groove and didn't take long for me to retrain the eyes for the fast movements and start racking up some kills.

For the most part it has a blend of MW3 and Ghosts. Which is good and bad. Good that it is somewhat similar to MW3(which was great). You only get one perk to load out, which is similar to MW3 in that it goes back to a more limited perk system. You still get perks with the weapons, such as Quickdraw and Steady Aim. So, looks to me that perks will be more weapons based than actual Tier Perks system. Which is good, it forces people to play with the deck they've been dealt and it removes the whole "Super" soldier load outs. Which I was just as guilty of as anyone. It wasn't uncommon for me to have four or five perks loaded out(especially for just hardcore run and gun classes).

Also the character you choose, has abilities with them. So they will do certain things better than others. I chose the last guy and the number two guy to start with. It is like all COD's with unlock tokens, so you can unlock weapons and other characters. You can change the faces and outfits though some of those seemed locked for me.

The Bad, the spawn system is very similar to Ghosts, which sucks. Even on the Beta I've already been subject to multiple spawn kills and getting spawned in the line of fire from enemies. Which is anyone remembers Octane map from Ghosts, that stupid game would spawn you right out in the open by the gas station to get mowed down by enemy fire before you can even move.

The coloring of the maps also reminds me of Ghosts. Which is odd because this is a Sledgehammer game and Ghosts an Infinity Ward game. So I'm wondering why Sledgehammer is close to Ghosts in some aspects.

All in all, I prefer this stripped down and more bare bones version of COD. No more flying around off ceilings or jumping over stuff. No more energy based weapons with lasers and drones. Just old school, old weapons, old setting and old story line. I enjoy it and am looking forward to the real game in November.