Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017/2018 Tacoma

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

2017/2018 Tacoma

After nearly a decade without a car payment, my beloved Nissan Maxima SE is on its last leg unfortunately, been a hell of a car but it's time to upgrade. Looking at a 2017/2018 Tacoma. Anyone have one on here that has some insight on pros and cons of it? Wish I could afford a Tundra but the package that I want is just too much and can't justify it. Thanks in advance.
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Re: 2017/2018 Tacoma

The Tundra is shit, it pretty much gets embarrassed by the big 3.

The Tacoma is a masterpiece. It looks freaking awesome, has decent power and mileage, and overall is the perfect truck in my opinion. Just get a loaded one, and make sure you get the 6ft bed. I hate all these useless 4.5ft beds people are getting nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    The Tundra is shit, it pretty much gets embarrassed by the big 3.

The Tacoma is a masterpiece. It looks freaking awesome, has decent power and mileage, and overall is the perfect truck in my opinion. Just get a loaded one, and make sure you get the 6ft bed. I hate all these useless 4.5ft beds people are getting nowadays.
    Yeah looking at the TRD off-road 6ft double cab for sure, found a double cab 6spd manual up north that I want to go check out and possibly buy. Pointless to have a truck with a short bed, might as well get a SUV not a Chevy, Ford or Dodge fan at all after all I've seen in my mechanic years, maybe the exception would be the Cummins diesels but I'm not paying 60k+ for a truck or any car for that matter.
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Awesome truck it sounds like, exactly what I'd like to have. Personally as much as I love manual transmissions, in a truck I'd prefer the auto.

Awesome truck it sounds like, exactly what I'd like to have. Personally as much as I love manual transmissions, in a truck I'd prefer the auto.
    Yeah thought about it but it would be a hard habit to break, been driving manuals since day 1, even this Maxima is a 6spd too lol
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

If I could get away with a smaller truck, I'd go with the Taco. Agree on all the reasons Aaron mentioned above.

If you are willing to get a used Cummings, I did find mine 4 yo for about $30k. I love it.
    The closest thing to immortality on this earth is a Federal government program - RR

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    If I could get away with a smaller truck, I'd go with the Taco. .

Damn Damir about time....I thought that car would have died long ago.....probably your pimp mechanic skills that kept it going this long. Congrats man, you deserve a new ride
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post

Damn Damir about time....I thought that car would have died long ago.....probably your pimp mechanic skills that kept it going this long. Congrats man, you deserve a new ride
    Haha thanks man. It still running and what not, it's asking me for little things here and there, nothing major but I'm sure it's a matter of time before something major comes along. It's been an outstanding car, will miss the heated steering wheel and seats on it that are still working haha. Also my cousin just moved from home to go to school and stuff and needs a car so selling him this one for cheap so he can get around while he builds some credit and saves up for something newer. It'll last him a year easily if he takes care of it and I'm fixing the little things for him so he's got less shit to worry about. How's your Rex running?
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
    Haha thanks man. It still running and what not, it's asking me for little things here and there, nothing major but I'm sure it's a matter of time before something major comes along. It's been an outstanding car, will miss the heated steering wheel and seats on it that are still working haha. Also my cousin just moved from home to go to school and stuff and needs a car so selling him this one for cheap so he can get around while he builds some credit and saves up for something newer. It'll last him a year easily if he takes care of it and I'm fixing the little things for him so he's got less shit to worry about. How's your Rex running?
    The WRX is running great.....love that car. 2014 with 17K miles though as I take the light rail to work daily.

Some people may disagree with me, but depending on situation I think there are times when a new car/truck makes sense. For me I qualify for 0.0% interest on a new car (no such thing on a used car) as I have really good credit. I also I tend to keep my cars for years; so not too worried about resale. When buying a WRX used most were beat on or were some young kids car that pushed it hard; so for me I went new so I didn't have that worry.....plus I do like the warranty new cars come with.

If your credit isn't that good, many people don't realize that getting qualified for a new car/trucj is easier than a used car; mainly because it has more value. This explains it in detail http://www.loan.com/car-loans/why-ar...used-ones.html

Toyota Tacoma would also be my choice if I got a truck.....like you said though the things hold their value well.

The WRX is running great.....love that car. 2014 with 17K miles though as I take the light rail to work daily.

Some people may disagree with me, but depending on situation I think there are times when a new car/truck makes sense. For me I qualify for 0.0% interest on a new car (no such thing on a used car) as I have really good credit. I also I tend to keep my cars for years; so not too worried about resale. When buying a WRX used most were beat on or were some young kids car that pushed it hard; so for me I went new so I didn't have that worry.....plus I do like the warranty new cars come with.

If your credit isn't that good, many people don't realize that getting qualified for a new car/trucj is easier than a used car; mainly because it has more value. This explains it in detail http://www.loan.com/car-loans/why-ar...used-ones.html

Toyota Tacoma would also be my choice if I got a truck.....like you said though the things hold their value well.
    Yeah depending on lender, you may qualify as low as a 1.3% on an used car if you shop good enough. Many people make the mistake to let the dealer shop for rates for them and they shop in their own partnered lenders so they make more money off you on the backside on finance charges. PSCU or most CU have amazing rates if you have good credit. I would stay away from the usual banks as they suck. Creditone bank has usually decent first time buyer programs and such but it's always good to refinance as soon as you can as they run the credit card side and tend to screw you. Yeah, the new car smell and warranty is definitely nice to have, anything goes wrong and boom just drop it off and have them fix that shit granted they will go to ways not to fix shit under warranty unless it's beyond an obvious issue and they can't give you the runaround. Your Subaru will have a killer resale value, mainly because it's been unmolested and well kept, the low mileage aspect helps a ton too. Those things even beat up fly off the lots, they're well coveted cars, mainly on your package and that don't want to spend on a full STi trim. I've been riding the light rail these past few days to work as I'm working at MSU quite a bit and feels nice not to deal with idiots or traffic plus waiting on my oil pan to arrive as well .... Dude some of the used Tacoma prices are outrageous!!! I found a few that are about 2-3 years old, not even certified and they're going for only 2k less than a brand new one, it's insane but they're such great and reliable trucks that people cough the money without a doubt.
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    If I could get away with a smaller truck, I'd go with the Taco. Agree on all the reasons Aaron mentioned above.

If you are willing to get a used Cummings, I did find mine 4 yo for about $30k. I love it.
    Yeah, their resale value also is what gets me, they resell so darn well, it's insane. Looking for something brand spanking new, while I can fix cars and all but have never had a new car before. Also on those Cummins if I would consider something used, it would need to have an impeccable and corroborated maintenance history, I am as anal as they come when it comes to vehicles, mainly after having been an used car technician for a while, some of the shit people trade in, is rather sad lol
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

I really wanted to like the Taco as they're basically the only smaller truck on the market worth a damn. But, every time I got serious, I just couldn't find one that had what I wanted for what I was willing to pay. That's how I ended up with the F150.

As for buying used, I think it really has to do with the specific vehicle. Some cars don't get abused and are worth it to buy used. I could never afford my Cayenne new, but a couple years and a lot of thousands in depreciation later, I have an amazing vehicle that was owned by Porsche Corporate and was basically new. I got lucky finding the one that I did. Although, most of the used ones I looked at were almost always in amazing shape. As you mentioned before, kids like, and can afford the WRX, thus you get kid owners and kid maintenance/abuse problems.

Good luck with your hunt...
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    I really wanted to like the Taco as they're basically the only smaller truck on the market worth a damn. But, every time I got serious, I just couldn't find one that had what I wanted for what I was willing to pay. That's how I ended up with the F150.

As for buying used, I think it really has to do with the specific vehicle. Some cars don't get abused and are worth it to buy used. I could never afford my Cayenne new, but a couple years and a lot of thousands in depreciation later, I have an amazing vehicle that was owned by Porsche Corporate and was basically new. I got lucky finding the one that I did. Although, most of the used ones I looked at were almost always in amazing shape. As you mentioned before, kids like, and can afford the WRX, thus you get kid owners and kid maintenance/abuse problems.

Good luck with your hunt...
    Yeah just stopped by groove Toyota just to compare options and packages in between the trucks in general and man what a crock of shit lol... they charge an extra $700 for a tow package, dude you're buying a truck for a reason, why would I pay extra for something the truck should come with? Lord almighty... Also they force you to buy the premium package just so I can get heated seats but could care less for the rest of the shit lol... Lord dude. Also the limited Tacoma goes for nearly $42k!!!! And saw a well loaded crewmax limited tundra for 44k with all the bells and whistles including the damn tow package Toyota is about to lose a customer man, that pricing is ridiculous and oh they don't offer a long bed on the double cab which is also a crock of even more shit... fuck car shopping I'm going to haggle the fuck out of these people, they don't even know what's coming
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

Yeah just stopped by groove Toyota just to compare options and packages in between the trucks in general and man what a crock of shit lol... they charge an extra $700 for a tow package, dude you're buying a truck for a reason, why would I pay extra for something the truck should come with? Lord almighty... Also they force you to buy the premium package just so I can get heated seats but could care less for the rest of the shit lol... Lord dude. Also the limited Tacoma goes for nearly $42k!!!! And saw a well loaded crewmax limited tundra for 44k with all the bells and whistles including the damn tow package Toyota is about to lose a customer man, that pricing is ridiculous and oh they don't offer a long bed on the double cab which is also a crock of even more shit... fuck car shopping I'm going to haggle the fuck out of these people, they don't even know what's coming

Yup, those "packages" get you every time. I won't buy a car without HID headlights and only one model of WRX had them; the Limited (highest package). That package had navigation that I didn't need, but no other option if you want HID headlights. I've used the navigation like once as I prefer my phones anyways....what a waste of like $700+.

You are having same issue I had when trying to Find a Tacoma; damn things are expensive!

What you think of the Ford Ranger? Some people love them and some hate them, but they can be found for a decent price.

As usual. I hate car salesmen with a passion, never before have I seen a group of individuals so ignorant about the product they try and sell. Their job is to get you into a car they have right then and there, whether it's what you want, in your budget, or not.

So the Tacoma does come in a double cab and long bed, but only in 3/6 trim levels: SR5, TRD Sport, and TRD Off-Road.
    Yeah and I should have known better than to ask, granted I only asked him to see if they had a long bed, dude was like I don't think we have that available... I was like your website says you have two in stock, he's like no, they're not available at all FAIL

Yup, those "packages" get you every time. I won't buy a car without HID headlights and only one model of WRX had them; the Limited (highest package). That package had navigation that I didn't need, but no other option if you want HID headlights. I've used the navigation like once as I prefer my phones anyways....what a waste of like $700+.

You are having same issue I had when trying to Find a Tacoma; damn things are expensive!

What you think of the Ford Ranger? Some people love them and some hate them, but they can be found for a decent price.
    Yeah, it doesn't even come with HID lights so will upgrade those as soon as I get it, it will at least come with projector headlamps so the output will be great, doing nothing more or less than a 5,000k set for the low beam and maybe same for the fogs or go to 3,000k on those. Funny part about those built in navigation systems is that it costs to update them ($150+ per year!!!!) While your phone updates for free, yeah I'm not a fan of navigation systems in cars but if I want just the damn heated seats, I'm gonna have to eat the rest but we'll see what I can work out. Not sure yet. They discontinued the ranger, else I would consider it, they're warrior trucks man. Ford was stupid for discontinuing that truck. It sold so damn well
    Last edited by madvlad; Tue Sep 26th, 2017 at 09:44 AM.
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

Yeah, it doesn't even come with HID lights so will upgrade those as soon as I get it, it will at least come with projector headlamps so the output will be great, doing nothing more or less than a 5,000k set for the low beam and maybe same for the fogs or go to 3,000k on those. Not sure yet. They discontinued the ranger, else I would consider it, they're warrior trucks man. Ford was stupid for discontinuing that truck. It sold so damn well
    Pretty sure HID and projection headlights are the same man....just different name. Maybe you mean HID vs LED. Although there may be a HID bulb used not in a projector housing; best way to tell is if it has that glass globe.... I'll never go back to standard headlights!!!!

FZRGuy sold one a while back on here.....considered it, but sold super fast I think.
    Last edited by bulldog; Tue Sep 26th, 2017 at 09:41 AM.

They discontinued the ranger, else I would consider it, they're warrior trucks man. Ford was stupid for discontinuing that truck. It sold so damn well
    What?!? I just googled 2017 & 2018 Ranger and pulled up a ton of shit. If you do buy a Ford, you have to go see Kristian Strub at AutoNation on Broadway & C470 (Kristian on this site). I would even start there for a used car to see if they have what I want.

I got my 2015 4-door F350 for $44k out the door!
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

They do offer the long bed with a double cab, you just have to choose the right package.

Well that salesman was full of shit then lol
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

As usual. I hate car salesmen with a passion, never before have I seen a group of individuals so ignorant about the product they try and sell. Their job is to get you into a car they have right then and there, whether it's what you want, in your budget, or not.

So the Tacoma does come in a double cab and long bed, but only in 3/6 trim levels: SR5, TRD Sport, and TRD Off-Road.

Ranger will be back in 2019 (so next summer) - New global platform. I saw a few in Poland and in Australia, and I'm definitely keeping an eye out.

Unfortunately, they'll be every bit as expensive as the Tacomas and Colorados are.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

I could see if Charlie is interested in selling his to you. It would probably save you a lot of $$$, and I think it's a 2016 model year. (?)
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    I could see if Charlie is interested in selling his to you. It would probably save you a lot of $$$, and I think it's a 2016 model year. (?)
    Nah, I'm good but thanks man. Looking at something new, tired of fixing shit haha plus Tacoma used prices are insane anyways.
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

Yes sir D2R set up on mine. They've been awesome and still working. 2002 with 245k, not even losing color yet lol. Gotta repolish my lights though
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1