Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: 2017/2018 Tacoma

Re: 2017/2018 Tacoma

Nah, no upgrades at all. It already comes with the Bose premium audio system. Only thing I will change is the headlights and fog lamps to all LED bulbs since the OEM halogen lighting is horrible and much better brakes once the replacement time comes, will be stepping up to Brembo slotted and Hawk pads but about it. Engine will remain bone stock and everything really. Won't lift it or get wheels for it or none of that nonsense. My fun money will go to 2 wheels and traveling lol
    Last edited by madvlad; Mon Oct 16th, 2017 at 04:12 PM.
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
    Nah, no upgrades at all. It already comes with the Bose premium audio system. Only thing I will change is the headlights and fog lamps to all LED bulbs since the OEM halogen lighting is horrible and much better brakes once the replacement time comes, will be stepping up to Brembo slotted and Hawk pads but about it. Engine will remain bone stock and everything really. Won't lift it or get wheels for it or none of that nonsense. My fun money will go to 2 wheels and traveling lol
    . Cool. Plus your gospel music you listen to would probably sound funny in a real system

yeah mine came with the factory upgraded stereo, but fuck that. No stock stereo will EVER compare to a properly installed aftermarket stereo. I left the touchscreen but integrated the rest to run off that; amp, sub,crossovers, tweeters, controls etc. I'm a audio junkie and been designing and installing since like age 15
    Last edited by bulldog; Mon Oct 16th, 2017 at 05:08 PM.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    ..I'm a audio junkie and been designing and installing since like age 15
    No shit! Me too, Nate. Actually, believe it or not, I was regularly installing stereos at ten for the family. That's 1977, folks. Even then I understood acoustics/resonance. Never had any equipment to tune, did everything by ear.

I blew out an ear SCUBA diving and had to have surgery. It really fucked up sound for quite a while. I thought I was screwed. Music is what keeps me sane!!

Anyway, because of that surgery, it's been quite some time since I've built a system.

The last one I built, for our 1994 Bronco, I wrote a program in C+ to calculate box and port specifications based on speaker specifications. VAS, fs, Qms, Qts, etc. I RTA'd the interior of the Bronco with pink noise and plugged those numbers in as well. With a mid-level Cerwin-Vega 15" woofer and a box tuned to 27Hz, this thing hit at 2Hz inside the vehicle (that's below earthquake frequencies). Not muddy at all. Crystal clear from 22,000 to 2Hz. I'm really, really good at this stuff.

Most of the shops in town that I bought parts from (after they heard it) wanted to enter our Bronco in stereo competitions with their banner in my windshield. Screw you! You didn't give me any breaks on parts and sometimes laughed that I didn't know what I was doing. Because, even though they do it for a living, people rarely really know what they're doing.

Kim's always on me to build another...

Hi-Jack over. Sorry. I blame it on Nate!
    Last edited by Kim-n-Dean; Mon Oct 16th, 2017 at 05:51 PM.
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

Yeah as far as I went was to build my own subwoofer box in wood shop class in high school but certainly was never a guru in that department. I have installed stereos and such before, done some minor custom work but not as intense as that haha... Yeah for me audio became kind of a thing of the past, as long as it sounds, I'm okay with it while I'm sure there's insanely better and crisper sounding systems that bring out the acoustics to a T
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Quote Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean View Post
    No shit! Me too, Nate. Actually, believe it or not, I was regularly installing stereos at ten for the family. That's 1977, folks. Even then I understood acoustics/resonance. Never had any equipment to tune, did everything by ear.

I blew out an ear SCUBA diving and had to have surgery. It really fucked up sound for quite a while. I thought I was screwed. Music is what keeps me sane!!

Anyway, because of that surgery, it's been quite some time since I've built a system.

The last one I built, for our 1994 Bronco, I wrote a program in C+ to calculate box and port specifications based on speaker specifications. VAS, fs, Qms, Qts, etc. I RTA'd the interior of the Bronco with pink noise and plugged those numbers in as well. With a mid-level Cerwin-Vega 15" woofer and a box tuned to 27Hz, this thing hit at 2Hz inside the vehicle (that's below earthquake frequencies). Not muddy at all. Crystal clear from 22,000 to 2Hz. I'm really, really good at this stuff.

Most of the shops in town that I bought parts from (after they heard it) wanted to enter our Bronco in stereo competitions with their banner in my windshield. Screw you! You didn't give me any breaks on parts and sometimes laughed that I didn't know what I was doing. Because, even though they do it for a living, people rarely really know what they're doing.

Kim's always on me to build another...

Hi-Jack over. Sorry. I blame it on Nate!
    Wow, yeah your stereo knowledge is a bit more "educational" than mine as I learned from hanging out at a Stereo Instal shop and watching one of my buddies do it for a living....then just learning by doing it myself on cars I had. I've never went as far as writing my own program (very impressive), but I got good with Ohms, proper air space, crossovers, proper wiring, etc. In HS I started making sub boxes for people and then I got deep into a book on airspace and calculating the proper specs. When I learned this, it all became a huge science because there is a huge difference of throwing a sub in any box vs one with proper airspace (as you know). I started making a solo-baric 10 inch woofer encloser (woofer inside of box type) for a Rockfor Fosgate woofer and it was out performing fools with 15's that didn't know what they were doing. I ended up making sick money off that design and made a few different versions. And of course it's not all about the woofer as I've also learned to balance it all out with proper speakers, placement, crossover's etc so it is not just some over-powering bass system; has to be clean at high volume levels. I'm also a big beleiver in Dyna-Mat to keep car interior quiet and remove rattles.

Man, I'd love to have heard that Bronco as sounds impressive. I'm a big fan of Infinity Kappa series and pretty much running those in my car; door two ways, edge driven tweeters, and a titanium 10inch in rear. My car had like 10 miles on it when I tore it all apart to do this install....tint and stereo is always my #1 upgrade I do within a week of getting a car. This last one I integrated it all into the Subaru head unit (kept Subaru amp to power some speakers), so that got a bit more complicated, but to me it sounds awesome and probably the clearest system I've had.

Do another one man! If you need help I'd be down to go BS with you and give you a hand as I am sure I could learn some things from you.

You should have seen and heard the bass-bins I had when Kim and I got together. Since I was using a piece of shit woofer (Pyramid) I didn't do any calculations and just went off of experience. It was a horn loaded cabinet and I just guessed on the ramp/port. They were about 54" tall x 36" wide x 42" deep. 15 woofer crossed over at 10,000Hz with a 7" horn tweeter covering frequencies above that. These things shook the entire apartment complex on an old Sony 20 watt amp. They actually blurred your vision!
    Kim & Dean

You should have seen and heard the bass-bins I had when Kim and I got together. Since I was using a piece of shit woofer (Pyramid) I didn't do any calculations and just went off of experience. It was a horn loaded cabinet and I just guessed on the ramp/port. They were about 54" tall x 36" wide x 42" deep. 15 woofer crossed over at 10,000Hz with a 7" horn tweeter covering frequencies above that. These things shook the entire apartment complex on an old Sony 20 watt amp. They actually blurred your vision!
    Damn, that is crazy! I remember Pyramid woofers as well as Sherman Vega....the old days! You seen the woofers nowadays....amazing. Think the 10 Infinity Kappa (labled "the perfect woofer; years back) can handle 1400wats alone. I have maybe 300 going to it if that and still will rattle my home windows.

Like you seen this $9.5K woofer; 22 inch MTX Jackhammer? Local UFC fighter Shane Carwin had one in a truck and was amazing I heard (never saw it in person unfortunately)
    https://www.mtx.com/t9922-22-jackham...udio-subwoofer

EDIT: Damn guess they now have a newer 24 inch Jackhammer https://www.mtx.com/ts9924-22-jackha...udio-subwoofer

In HS my buddy with a car shop put 16, 15inch speakers in a van; two front seats and all the rest were woofers. You couldn't even sit in it as it would hurt your heart.
    Last edited by bulldog; Tue Oct 17th, 2017 at 10:37 AM.

I used to tune speaker cabs with a laser digitizer for Polk Audio. With special lighting, it would actually show the sound waves coming out of the cone. I've seen some serious experimental shit that never made it to the public.

Never heard of Sherman Vega. I looked it up thinking it was a rip-off of Cerwin-Vega, but couldn't find anything.

My current home theater is Cerwin-Vega LS-15s for the mains and a powered 250w SW-15 for sub. Yamaha 12" 3-ways (can't remember the model #) for the rear channel. I'm wanting to replace the LS-15s with XLS-215s. That would be (5) 15" woofer on the front channel. Yay!!

Cerwin Vega doesn't compete with brands like Infinity or Polk Audio (I love Polk) for sound quality. They're just loud as fuck, and being a heavy metal couple, that's what we need! I literally wear ear plugs when I crank that fucker up. For me, I need to feel the music, and I'm trying to save some hearing for when I'm in my 80s.
    Kim & Dean

I used to tune speaker cabs with a laser digitizer for Polk Audio. With special lighting, it would actually show the sound waves coming out of the cone. I've seen some serious experimental shit that never made it to the public.

Never heard of Sherman Vega. I looked it up thinking it was a rip-off of Cerwin-Vega, but couldn't find anything.

My current home theater is Cerwin-Vega LS-15s for the mains and a powered 250w SW-15 for sub. Yamaha 12" 3-ways (can't remember the model #) for the rear channel. I'm wanting to replace the LS-15s with XLS-215s. That would be (5) 15" woofer on the front channel. Yay!!

Cerwin Vega doesn't compete with brands like Infinity or Polk Audio (I love Polk) for sound quality. They're just loud as fuck, and being a heavy metal couple, that's what we need! I literally wear ear plugs when I crank that fucker up. For me, I need to feel the music, and I'm trying to save some hearing for when I'm in my 80s.
    Ooops, sorry typo.....meant Cerwin Vega...been a long time since I've seen them....not even sure they are still making stuff.

Yeah you definitely are more in depth with the "technical specs" as I tend to just sit for a long time and tune by ear. My home theater came with a microphone to adjust it, but never done that in a car.

As I said I am a Infinity lover....12 inch Infinity subwoofer at home with the satellite speakers. I do run it by a Pioneer Elite head unit....love those Elite series!

I do love Polk Audio too!

What tires do you all run?

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    We already covered that. We're onto speakers, now...
    Kim & Dean

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Pirelli Superbike SC1.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

I know I am guilty of derailing threads, but where did that question come from? No talk about tires or bikes in this thread

Haha the jackhammer, that thing was absurd!!! Well technically is car talk so is not off topic in technicality.
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
    Haha the jackhammer, that thing was absurd!!! Well technically is car talk so is not off topic in technicality.
    Trippin out they made a newer one; thing weighs 400lbs and handles 4000watts.....holy sh*t!

Here is one in a Hummer:

Aaron, you got any upgraded audio equipment in your BMW car?
    Last edited by bulldog; Tue Oct 17th, 2017 at 02:15 PM.

Nope. But eventually I would like to, maybe I'll call you up then. I don't want huge bumping subs, but upgraded speakers and maybe a small under-seat sub would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    Trippin out they made a newer one; thing weighs 400lbs and handles 4000watts.....holy sh*t!

Here is one in a Hummer:

Aaron, you got any upgraded audio equipment in your BMW car?
    Jesus dude lol, weighs as much as my bike haha. That super unnecessary for sure
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

I run 4 FiCar Audio 18" infinite baffle subs @600watts in my home theater living room, the "box" is my basement.

Holy shit dude, movie and a massage
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

Quote Originally Posted by DrKnow65 View Post
    I run 4 FiCar Audio 18" infinite baffle subs @600watts in my home theater living room, the "box" is my basement.
    Free air is so much easier to deal with, especially in large spaces. I miss the days where cars had trunks. All those 6x9s, and alike, are infinite baffle.

That's some sweet shit! Especially if you bought it because you know what it is. That means you might have a little audiophile in ya. A soon as we get done arguing on this dead ass site, we should get a beer. I mean, bikes, guns, sound, holy shit! If I weren't married............. Oh shit! Wait a minute. Did I say that out loud?!?
    Kim & Dean

Free air is so much easier to deal with, especially in large spaces. I miss the days where cars had trunks. All those 6x9s, and alike, are infinite baffle.

That's some sweet shit! Especially if you bought it because you know what it is. That means you might have a little audiophile in ya. A soon as we get done arguing on this dead ass site, we should get a beer. I mean, bikes, guns, sound, holy shit! If I weren't married............. Oh shit! Wait a minute. Did I say that out loud?!?
    Yah, a little audiophile

I've also rebuilt a pair a Parasound 2250 amps and mated them to a set of 4412 JBL studio monitors that I did custom drivers in and ran 5 way active from a set of DAC's I built,
    that are ran from a MiniDSP (4X8 ) so that I could do all digital room correction as well as tailor all the crossover points depending on what speakers I was trying
    At one point I had +/- 2db to my room curve from 5hz to 24Khz...

The whole setup is now under the workbench, as it was like having an oven in the room when left powered up (it was only ever powered down when we left for more than 3 days).

I'm thinking of upgrading to some solid JBL PA drivers when I get back into it...

Beer? Hell yah! I'm loving New Belgium 1554, seem to not tire of it

Quote Originally Posted by DrKnow65 View Post

Damn that is some pimp sh*t man! I thought my home subwoofer was big at 12 inch(down-firing) but that is awesome. I can't even turn mine halfway up without it shaking my house so couldn't imagine how that sounds.

Not too familiar with free air. Put a free air in a truck one time and was ok, but nothing compared to a normal enclosure. That was back in the day though.

Now that I look at it my home speakers, they are Harman Kardon....same as Infinity though as it same company: basically goes JBL, Infinity, Harman Kardon

I still have a trunk. I lined the entire thing in Dynamat so basically a enclosure inside a enclosure

if you like New Belgium check out their new pumpkin beer. So good. Can't find it in stores as sold out around me, but The Pint Room by me has it. http://www.newbelgium.com/beer/voodo...atomic-pumpkin
    Last edited by bulldog; Tue Oct 17th, 2017 at 06:56 PM.

Well as I thought this deal was too good to be true. The salesman or manager won't return my calls nor give me any updates on the truck at all and it's been 2 days, nobody at the dealer can give me any updates at all, last I knew they were trying to secure the truck which is usually a couple of hour deal at worst case scenario, it really isn't that hard to do but they keep stalling for some reason, Toyota Financial already approved a week ago!!! Something tells me they realized how insanely good of a deal I was getting and they're most likely trying to get me to back out of the deal so they can sell the truck to someone else for much more money... Go figure, well guess that ends the dream for the time being. Just told those guys to go pound sand and just sent Toyota Corporate a nice little email that I am sure I will be hearing from. Car dealers are honestly too much and it's insane how these people think or conduct business, which also brings me to the conclusion as of why I stopped being an auto tech or have anything to do with that dishonest and bullshit industry, also they wonder why people don't trust them at all. Rather disappointed but not surprised they were going to pull the rabbit out of the hat. Toyota sells so fucking much that if I walk, they'll just find another buyer instantly anyways. Sure hope Toyota Corporate rectifies this situation but as of right now I honestly don't want any other car or truck so the Maxima will remain with me for the time being.... bleh, this just fucked my week up. Anyways back to subwoofer talk
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1