Thread: Best chain/sprocket brand?

Best chain/sprocket brand?

My 2015 S1000RR is in need of a new chain, I got 17,000 miles on the factory set which is pretty impressive considering the bike, and I'd love to get 17k on the new one too. By the way, it should be noted I don't clean or lubricate my chain at all. Maybe once every 6,000 miles I'll spray some WD-40 on it. If I'm bored. And find extra WD-40 laying within crawling distance.

I will be sticking with the 525 size.

What brand of chain and sprockets have given you guys the best longevity?

Re: Best chain/sprocket brand?

As I had mentioned on another thread, stick to OEM sizes and also don't get aluminum ones. Steel sprockets last much longer. As far as brands not really sure. I used vortex steel stuff and a RK chain back in the day and they did great.
    Last edited by madvlad; Tue Sep 26th, 2017 at 06:04 AM.
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

I just went through this quest for a new sprocket http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forum...light=sprocket

Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
    As I had mentioned on another thread, stick to OEM sizes and also don't get aluminum ones. Steel sprockets last much longer. As far as brands not really sure. I used vortex steel stuff and a RK chain back in the day and they did great.
    OEM size??? On my 600cc's that was the first thing I changed out and never had issues and changed front and back. Never done it on a 1000cc, but was a godsend for 600cc's; so much more low end power. Maybe I just got lucky, but put a lot of miles on them with no problems.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    OEM size??? On my 600cc's that was the first thing I changed out and never had issues and changed front and back. Never done it on a 1000cc, but was a godsend for 600cc's; so much more low end power. Maybe I just got lucky, but put a lot of miles on them with no problems.
    The gearing change on a 1000 is not necessary unless you're tracking it. I know the 520 conversion is a common deal mainly on 600cc but it'll last less than a 525 or a 530 if it's what comes stock with the bike. Guess it all comes down to preference.
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Quote Originally Posted by j0ker View Post
    I just went through this quest for a new sprocket http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forum...light=sprocket
    I'm subscribed to that thread, it provided minimal if any brand-specific info.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    I was talking more about chain width, in my case a 525. However with sprockets/gearing, I won't be changing that either. Gearing does not make any difference on a modern day literbike, in fact gearing my bike makes it slower.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    I'm subscribed to that thread, it provided minimal if any brand-specific info.

I was talking more about chain width, in my case a 525. However with sprockets/gearing, I won't be changing that either. Gearing does not make any difference on a modern day literbike, in fact gearing my bike makes it slower.
    Yeah I've only done it to a 600cc; was fine losing top end speed to gain low end power. It made it where I could keep up with the 1000cc's (power wise, down low). Yeah rarely hear about it on a 1000cc.

Ya on a 600 it'd be a very healthy upgrade. But the modern literbikes like mine already have more power than the chassis can handle, so I end up either spinning or lifting in 1st or 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Ya on a 600 it'd be a very healthy upgrade. But the modern literbikes like mine already have more power than the chassis can handle, so I end up either spinning or lifting in 1st or 2nd.
    Yeah as long as you get a speedo healer it is one of the best upgrades for a 600'cc; no speedo healer and your mileage gets jacked and speedometer is wrong (on most bikes)

I had a couple gift certificates for Quik Cycles, so went ahead and ordered a DID ERV3 chain and Vortex sprockets. Sadly they won't be here for this weekend's ride, but my old one will last, just make some very unhealthy noises.

Against Damir's advice, whose judgement I trust 100%, I did go down from a 525 to a 520 chain to save weight. DID and Vortex both claim that their 520 chain products will last longer than my OEM 525 product due to superior manufacturing/materials. I'm skeptical, in fact I don't believe it, but I'm interested in seeing for myself with an objective test subject. I don't plan on changing riding styles, bike power output, chain maintenance, or anything else with the new chain. So let's see if it gets me 17,000 miles.

Update when your 200hp bike shreds through that set in half the time lol
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

I definitely will!

www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1