Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Winter is close, and I'm wanting to ride??!??! Hello All :)

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    29

    Winter is close, and I'm wanting to ride??!??! Hello All :)

    Hi Guys (and gals?), I'm excited to have found a Colorado based riders forum. Happy to be here.
    It took a little while for my account to get approved so that I could post but here I am

    I live in Carbondale and enjoy having good times on two wheels along with track and canyon time in the Corvette (T1 racing suspension on an 06' base vette).
    After having what I thought was a minor off on my 09' GSXR 1000 I ended up with a totaled bike. I am relatively uninjured and insurance has covered the loss.
    The replacement I just picked up is a 2012 BMW S1000RR. I also have a 04' FJR 1300, a 15' WR250R, and some dirt bikes.

    I would like to get to know some local riders if there are any up here in the hills with me?

    I am in the process of sorting out some heated gear (Warm & Safe) to extend my riding season, so I can enjoy my new RR.
    I plan on making a "smart" heat controller and maybe trying to integrate some bluetooth helmet connectivity for a radar detector heads-up-display.
    Any tinkerers on the forum?

  2. #2
    Senior Member j0ker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Longmont, CO
    Posts
    1,307

    Re: Winter is close, and I'm wanting to ride??!??! Hello All :)

    Welcome to the site! Sounds like you have a garage full of fun!

  3. #3
    Senior Member Aaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    In front of all the slow bikes.
    Posts
    2,190

    Re: Winter is close, and I'm wanting to ride??!??! Hello All :)

    Welcome, I tinker as well, I've got a 2015 S1000RR. I've got a heard jacket, heated seat, phone mount and charger, additional brake light, HID projector retrofit, and some other stuff.

    I run an Escort radar detector suction cupped to my gas tank, and I've got red LED's mounted below the top of the windscreen that activate on alarm. It works decent, however I can't read the detector so I end up slowing down for false alarms a lot.

    I mounted a set of Bose Quiet Comfort 35 headphones in my helmet, and connect those to my phone via Bluetooth.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    29

    Re: Winter is close, and I'm wanting to ride??!??! Hello All :)

    Quote Originally Posted by j0ker View Post
    Welcome to the site! Sounds like you have a garage full of fun!
    Fun yes, garage no Thanks for the welcome.

    I have to winterize and cover diligently any toys that will not be active. I hate to buy the S1000RR and just store it, hence the heated gear pursuit.
    The FJR is going under the knife this winter to get a new set of transmission gears (dogs on 2nd are worn and it hops out under WOT) so it will get winterized later as well.
    Otherwise generally I hibernate in the basement shop and chase wild dreams of making cool stuff, like an intelligent heat controller...

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    29

    Re: Winter is close, and I'm wanting to ride??!??! Hello All :)

    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Welcome, I tinker as well, I've got a 2015 S1000RR. I've got a heard jacket, heated seat, phone mount and charger, additional brake light, HID projector retrofit, and some other stuff.

    I run an Escort radar detector suction cupped to my gas tank, and I've got red LED's mounted below the top of the windscreen that activate on alarm. It works decent, however I can't read the detector so I end up slowing down for false alarms a lot.

    I mounted a set of Bose Quiet Comfort 35 headphones in my helmet, and connect those to my phone via Bluetooth.
    I have a Sena 20S Evo, but I'd like to find a way to use lights inside the helmet (peripheral view) and to pass the radar audio into the Sena headset.
    If I get the SmartCord Live for the 9500ix I may be able to work out a connection from 9500ix-->Phone-->Sena, just not sure if the phone will interrupt bluetooth comm's to give the radar alert, and then I still would need to sort out lights.
    There is a product out there but it seems to have a high rate of failure. http://legalspeeding.com/HARD-System.htm#.WeTZ1ztryUk

    Does your 2015 have heated grips and cruise control? Two options I wish I got on the 12' Maybe I'll do grips but through BMW the retrofit is a little beyond pocket change... just love the idea of OEM fit and finish.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Aaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    In front of all the slow bikes.
    Posts
    2,190

    Re: Winter is close, and I'm wanting to ride??!??! Hello All :)

    Quote Originally Posted by DrKnow65 View Post
    I have a Sena 20S Evo, but I'd like to find a way to use lights inside the helmet (peripheral view) and to pass the radar audio into the Sena headset.
    If I get the SmartCord Live for the 9500ix I may be able to work out a connection from 9500ix-->Phone-->Sena, just not sure if the phone will interrupt bluetooth comm's to give the radar alert, and then I still would need to sort out lights.
    There is a product out there but it seems to have a high rate of failure. http://legalspeeding.com/HARD-System.htm#.WeTZ1ztryUk

    Does your 2015 have heated grips and cruise control? Two options I wish I got on the 12' Maybe I'll do grips but through BMW the retrofit is a little beyond pocket change... just love the idea of OEM fit and finish.
    Here is what I use: I do not use the screamer speakers, just the lights. I'll post up some pics eventually.

    http://www.motorcycleradar.com/radar_screamer.htm

    Ya I have heated grips, cruise control, forged rims, LED signals, everything that costs money lol. I had a gray 2013 S1000RR before this, but traded it on on the 15 so that I could get cruise control, launch control, etc. I love the 15, it's setup perfect for me, and I don't see myself upgrading for a while. I'm at 17,600 miles currently, just did my chain and sprockets for the first time.

  7. #7
    Senior Member j0ker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Longmont, CO
    Posts
    1,307

    Re: Winter is close, and I'm wanting to ride??!??! Hello All :)

    I don't run a radar detector. If I see a cop I just speed up!

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    29

    Re: Winter is close, and I'm wanting to ride??!??! Hello All :)

    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post

    Ya I have heated grips, cruise control, forged rims, LED signals, everything that costs money lol.
    So jealous, but I paid $8800 for mine Though for my budget, it is still a squeeze.

    Still need to get the squared off corsa rosso tires off and get something softer like the Q3+'s I had just put on the GSXR befor its untimely demise.
    And the exhaust does not do the bike justice, needs a de-cat and header to go with the factory Akra shortie. SS, as Titanium is outside my pocket book.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    29

    Re: Winter is close, and I'm wanting to ride??!??! Hello All :)

    Quote Originally Posted by j0ker View Post
    I don't run a radar detector. If I see a cop I just speed up!
    I like to be able to slow way down before he spots me, sit bolt upright, and give a nod and wave, like I might be someone he knows

    Then if he spots me when he's not running radar he might let it slide

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    29

    Re: Winter is close, and I'm wanting to ride??!??! Hello All :)

    Quote Originally Posted by DrKnow65 View Post
    I like to be able to slow way down before he spots me, sit bolt upright, and give a nod and wave, like I might be someone he knows

    Then if he spots me when he's not running radar he might let it slide
    I should clarify that I am talking about the local LEO's where I ride most often.
    Generally Sheriff's patrolling some of the smaller towns found throughout the canyons up here.

    In my experience most every Sheriff I've ever met have been good people that I would most likely enjoy knowing off-duty anyway.
    They are setting a good example of how the law should be handled.

    I never speed in town so no interaction with the PD.

    IMHO they should pull funding from the State Patrol and use the cash to fill pot holes.
    Kill two PITA's in one move.
    Sorry, pet peeve that I despise thieves and liars, and I feel CSP fits those shoes.
    I would wager that if the fines went to charity instead of the legal system, the CSP would close their own doors.
    Or, the good ones might stick around and just concern themselves with people who are being a danger to others, like they should do in the first place.
    Just tax collectors, and no I have not paid them a cent, though they have tried to get it when they thought there was an opportunity.

    Sorry for the rant, but I didn't want to give the impression that I desire to buddy up with the CSP. Just that I like to be on real good terms with the real LEO's.
    Yay Sheriffs Department, local PD whatever, F#@K the CSP.

  11. #11
    Gold Member Kim-n-Dean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Aurora
    Posts
    5,593

    Re: Winter is close, and I'm wanting to ride??!??! Hello All :)

    Quote Originally Posted by DrKnow65 View Post
    Sorry for the rant, but I didn't want to give the impression that I desire to buddy up with the CSP. Just that I like to be on real good terms with the real LEO's.
    Yay Sheriffs Department, local PD whatever, F#@K the CSP.
    Hey Aaron, were you CSP or local?
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M


    .

  12. #12
    Gold Member bulldog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    8,611

    Re: Winter is close, and I'm wanting to ride??!??! Hello All :)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean View Post
    Hey Aaron, were you CSP or local?


    At least the key word here is "were"........
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    29

    Re: Winter is close, and I'm wanting to ride??!??! Hello All :)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean View Post
    Hey Aaron, were you CSP or local?
    Let us hope, ...

  14. #14
    Senior Member FZRguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Lakewood
    Posts
    4,475

    Re: Winter is close, and I'm wanting to ride??!??! Hello All :)

    Welcome DrKnow. Fairly light activity on this site these days. A lot of the members here have moved over the the FB group Colorado Sportbike Club.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

  15. #15
    Senior Member Aaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    In front of all the slow bikes.
    Posts
    2,190

    Re: Winter is close, and I'm wanting to ride??!??! Hello All :)

    Thank God it's were, that place was hell. Killing me one day at a time, so much pressure to be out. I was local for a PD, we didn't have time to do any traffic enforcement, and the times we did the cars would just run so we'd let them get away.

  16. #16
    Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Stripper Pole - Cloud 9
    Posts
    9,314

    Re: Winter is close, and I'm wanting to ride??!??! Hello All :)

    Welcome
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

    Sol Performance - Pirelli Tires

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    29

    Re: Winter is close, and I'm wanting to ride??!??! Hello All :)

    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Thank God it's were, that place was hell. Killing me one day at a time, so much pressure to be out. I was local for a PD, we didn't have time to do any traffic enforcement, and the times we did the cars would just run so we'd let them get away.
    Glad you were PD I have no issues with that. The police chief here was my landlord for a few years and was nothing but cool.
    I think I could safely wager that you never had contact with a person with the sole intent of instituting a fine for revenue.
    (suppose it is possible if they were being penalized by the town council or something and you were just serving paperwork)

    No point running in a town the size of Carbondale LoL, only 3 ways out and they all just go to the next town where an officer would be waiting...

  18. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    29

    Re: Winter is close, and I'm wanting to ride??!??! Hello All :)

    Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    Welcome
    Thanks for the welcome, hope I'm not going to walk in and fall flat on my face with the LEO stuff

    Better move on from that subject.

    Did I mention tires, we could beat that horse for a while

  19. #19
    Gold Member Kim-n-Dean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Aurora
    Posts
    5,593

    Re: Winter is close, and I'm wanting to ride??!??! Hello All :)

    Quote Originally Posted by DrKnow65 View Post
    Did I mention tires, we could beat that horse for a while
    Don't get Bridgestone Battlax RS10s. Sure, they stick, but I've gone through about ten sets in just a year.

    I put Michelin Power RS on it a few weeks ago. Holy shit! I now realize I really like Michelin's profile. It feels like the Michelin slicks I raced on. Not that the bike felt bad with the Bridgestones, it just feels better with the Michelins. It just lays over and TURNS!! Never would have noticed without running them back-to-back.
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M


    .

  20. #20
    Senior Member j0ker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Longmont, CO
    Posts
    1,307

    Re: Winter is close, and I'm wanting to ride??!??! Hello All :)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean View Post
    Don't get Bridgestone Battlax RS10s. Sure, they stick, but I've gone through about ten sets in just a year.

    I put Michelin Power RS on it a few weeks ago. Holy shit! I now realize I really like Michelin's profile. It feels like the Michelin slicks I raced on. Not that the bike felt bad with the Bridgestones, it just feels better with the Michelins. It just lays over and TURNS!! Never would have noticed without running them back-to-back.
    I switched to the power line a few years ago and never looked back. I get such good performance out of those tires!

  21. #21
    Member Okrapp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    163

    Re: Winter is close, and I'm wanting to ride??!??! Hello All :)

    Just swapped to a second set of roadsmart3s this weekend after 9k. Don't have a 200hp rig but holding up a 600lb sport-tourer at sporty paces for that long and still feeling pretty good wins in my book.
    "On a cycle the frame is gone. You're completely in contact with it all. You're in the scene, not just watching it anymore, and the sense of presence is overwhelming. Pirsig

  22. #22
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    29

    Re: Winter is close, and I'm wanting to ride??!??! Hello All :)

    I just put a set of Michilin Pilot Road 4 GT's on the FJR but have barely put 500 miles on them.
    The tires feel good, but with the low foot pegs I suspect you could scrape them on 20 year old car tires without a loss of grip LoL

    The Dunlop Sportmax Q3+ that had just gone on the GSXR were my cup of tea, confidence inspiring.
    I think I'd like to try the Metzler Racetech, the SuperCorsa, and the Sportmax all back to back along with a full slick just to have the knowledge.

    Think for my dollar I'll just go Q3+ again.

  23. #23
    I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Lone Tree
    Posts
    17,634

    Re: Winter is close, and I'm wanting to ride??!??! Hello All :)

    Welcome to the club and thank you again for the replies on that other thread!
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 675 - "Amy Lou"
    (720)935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move its in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Similar Threads

  1. Winter buster ride, Sunday March 3rd
    By SaShWhO in forum Canyon Carving
    Replies: 498
    Last Post: Wed Apr 17th, 2013, 09:44 AM
  2. Winter Breakout Ride 3/17?
    By FZRACE97 in forum Canyon Carving
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: Sat Mar 17th, 2007, 03:06 PM
  3. Winter BBG Ride?
    By OldKneeDragger in forum Trips & Touring
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: Sat Apr 24th, 2004, 09:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •