Thread: Soldering Help!

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Soldering Help!

Hey CSC'ers!

Does anybody on here have the equipment and the know-how to do some semi-precision soldering for me? I say "semi-precision" because it's a pretty small circuit board (a key fob) but it's not microscopically small. I need one small object soldered back onto the board.

Anyhow... I'd be happy to spend a few bucks for your time and troubles, or if a 6 pack of beer is your thing (?). Let me know if you can help!
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Re: Soldering Help!

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    Hey CSC'ers!

Does anybody on here have the equipment and the know-how to do some semi-precision soldering for me? I say "semi-precision" because it's a pretty small circuit board (a key fob) but it's not microscopically small. I need one small object soldered back onto the board.

Anyhow... I'd be happy to spend a few bucks for your time and troubles, or if a 6 pack of beer is your thing (?). Let me know if you can help!
    Soldering irons are cheap and soldering is pretty easy. You might watch a few youtube videos and then you would basically have it down.

I can do some tiny soldering... This board is less than 4 inches long, and those are the conductors from an HDMI cable

Hey DrKnow! I'm not sure what I'm looking at the there, and the "wink" is a bit concerning, but if you can help me out, let me know!

-Brandon-
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Hey DrKnow! I'm not sure what I'm looking at the there, and the "wink" is a bit concerning, but if you can help me out, let me know!

-Brandon-
    I like how you follow your post up with your name, even though it is in your signature

Seriously it is not too hard to solder.....but yeah, yeah we've been over this a thousand times on this site....you don't want to learn

P.S. And yes I do have soldering equipment you could borrow...you'd probably have to buy some solder though.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

You are looking at tiny soldering, the black cable on the left side is 4mm wide and the pin spacing is 0.1inch for size reference.

The board itself is a flight controller board for a remote control helicopter "Ardupilot".

What exactly are you needing soldered in the key fab?

(note, no winks at the guy who might think it means more than I think it does....)

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    I like how you follow your post up with your name, even though it is in your signature

Seriously it is not too hard to solder.....but yeah, yeah we've been over this a thousand times on this site....you don't want to learn

P.S. And yes I do have soldering equipment you could borrow...you'd probably have to buy some solder though.
    Yeah, that's just habit from doing emails all day. You are right though, I forgot it's in my sig.

Also, has nothing to do with a desire to learn stuff or even how hard it is for somebody who (as you presumably do) knows how to do it. So again, nothing to do with my desire to learn, you've just oversimplified something you don't fully understand, to try and make a point that's not valid.

Multiple things:
    - Yes, I'm reluctant want to "learn" in a use-case that involves me potentially doing trial-&-error on the very object I want fixed. This isn't a lab, this isn't a classroom, I need this particular thing fixed. One take.

- I don't want to have to invest in materials and tools that I will likely never use again (since I have never had necessity to use them up until now). Soldering iron, solder, etc.

- My time is valuable. Yes, I've learned how to change the oil on my motorcycle and I know how to polish shoes. I choose to pay people to do these things for me, despite their relative lack of complexity.

I do value your input though, since it gives me a good opportunity to perfect my typing.

Quote Originally Posted by DrKnow65 View Post
    You are looking at tiny soldering, the black cable on the left side is 4mm wide and the pin spacing is 0.1inch for size reference.

The board itself is a flight controller board for a remote control helicopter "Ardupilot".

What exactly are you needing soldered in the key fab?

(note, no winks at the guy who might think it means more than I think it does....)
    Okay gotcha; make sense.

The part that I need soldered back onto the board is a relatively tiny diode/transistor/whatever, that performs the "click-to-unlock" on the key fob. I have it all taken apart already, and I can see where the click-to-lock transistor is still attached, but this other came loose from the board.

They're of course right under the buttons themselves when reassembled, and I think this may work - to just reattach it - because the the small transistor still clicks when I press it, but because it is no longer attached to the board, well.... Yeah.
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Yeah, that's just habit from doing emails all day. You are right though, I forgot it's in my sig.

Also, has nothing to do with a desire to learn stuff or even how hard it is for somebody who (as you presumably do) knows how to do it. So again, nothing to do with my desire to learn, you've just oversimplified something you don't fully understand, to try and make a point that's not valid.

Multiple things:
    - Yes, I'm reluctant want to "learn" in a use-case that involves me potentially doing trial-&-error on the very object I want fixed. This isn't a lab, this isn't a classroom, I need this particular thing fixed. One take.

- I don't want to have to invest in materials and tools that I will likely never use again (since I have never had necessity to use them up until now). Soldering iron, solder, etc.

- My time is valuable. Yes, I've learned how to change the oil on my motorcycle and I know how to polish shoes. I choose to pay people to do these things for me, despite their relative lack of complexity.

I do value your input though, since it gives me a good opportunity to perfect my typing.
    Like I've always told you homey:

Just giving you a hard time since you've made at least 5+ post like these where people told you how easy it is to do the task you ask for help on.....yes I know how you are....was only kidding

If it's apart try taking a picture of it and post it up, I should be able to tell you if it can be repaired without much concern or if it is a high risk operation.

Just put some JB Weld on that bitch and call it a day
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

If it's apart try taking a picture of it and post it up, I should be able to tell you if it can be repaired without much concern or if it is a high risk operation.
    Can do! I'll do that when I get home at some point tonight.
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Like the wire terminations drK. Neater soldering than mine too
    "On a cycle the frame is gone. You're completely in contact with it all. You're in the scene, not just watching it anymore, and the sense of presence is overwhelming.” Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
    Just put some JB Weld on that bitch and call it a day
    I was going to say that, but that may be even harder than soldering.

The good thing about soldering is usually if you mess it up, you heat the solder up and come right off or moveable.

Yeah Dr, impressive work. First your sub box now this...smart guy!

Quote Originally Posted by Okrapp View Post
    Like the wire terminations drK. Neater soldering than mine too
    Thanks the hardest part was heat sinking the tiny wires to keep them from melting their insulation farther up the cable,
    but not sinking so much heat that they would get a cold solder joint.
    Last edited by DrKnow65; Thu Oct 19th, 2017 at 03:45 PM.

Here is another option barn. I've used it for small welds. https://www.amazon.com/Second-Repair.../dp/B01CWPXK0M

they sell it at Walgreens

edit. This is actually one I have. Ej recommended it years back https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00QU...SDMR5N499DS801
    Last edited by bulldog; Thu Oct 19th, 2017 at 05:09 PM.

(clip)

Okay gotcha; make sense.

The part that I need soldered back onto the board is a relatively tiny diode/transistor/whatever, that performs the "click-to-unlock" on the key fob. I have it all taken apart already, and I can see where the click-to-lock transistor is still attached, but this other came loose from the board.

They're of course right under the buttons themselves when reassembled, and I think this may work - to just reattach it - because the the small transistor still clicks when I press it, but because it is no longer attached to the board, well.... Yeah.
    As long as the pads didn't get pulled off when it came loose, it should be a pretty easy fix. Let me know if you don't get something figured out, we use down to 0201 parts where I work. Size reference, here is a 0402 (roughly double the size) on a dime:
    https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...Femtoduino.jpg

JB Weld (or similar) isn't conductive, so probably won't fix this issue.
    Blair
    2000 GSX750F, 2003 YZ450F, 2004 GSXR750, 2006 ZX-14
    2013 CBR500R, 2016 YZF-R6 - MRA #760

Quote Originally Posted by blaircsf View Post
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Rear...utf-8&oe=utf-8

This stuff is conductive

I can do some tiny soldering... This board is less than 4 inches long, and those are the conductors from an HDMI cable
    Actually, that's pretty large. But fuck that. Do you fly, too? I have a herd of helicopters and quads. Planes, too. Where do you fly out there?
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

Quote Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean View Post
    Actually, that's pretty large. But fuck that. Do you fly, too? I have a herd of helicopters and quads. Planes, too. Where do you fly out there?
    All the models have been hanging on the wall or parked on the shelf for a number of summers now.
    I have a pattern of getting really into something for a period of time until I feel like I have accomplished some level of mastery.
    Then my interest will shift and another item will peak my interest for some amount of time before I again move on.
    Once in a while I will revisit something and that ups my level of mastery again.

Also the projects shift by season as solo camping on the dual-sport doesn't happen in the winter, and working in the basement shop is hard to do when it is bright, sunny, and beautiful outside.

The last two summers have been spent on two wheels improving my riding, and the last two winters have been spent in my basement
    building a workshop (mill, lathe, mig, tig, stick, plasma, bandsaw, etc and scratch building a huge 6 axis CNC -work in progress-) and learning to code microprocessors.

Well how's that for a thread jacking?

Here is what it looks like. You can see what appear to be four "mount" points where it should be connected to.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wGHKaUctPU4irTvz2

Sorry for the link and not embedding it. Doing this from my phone. Thanks!
    Last edited by ~Barn~; Thu Oct 19th, 2017 at 10:34 PM.
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Quote Originally Posted by blaircsf View Post
    As long as the pads didn't get pulled off when it came loose, it should be a pretty easy fix. Let me know if you don't get something figured out, we use down to 0201 parts where I work. Size reference, here is a 0402 (roughly double the size) on a dime:
    https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...Femtoduino.jpg

Thanks Blair!
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

All the models have been hanging on the wall or parked on the shelf for a number of summers now.
    I have a pattern of getting really into something for a period of time until I feel like I have accomplished some level of mastery.
    Then my interest will shift and another item will peak my interest for some amount of time before I again move on.
    Once in a while I will revisit something and that ups my level of mastery again.

Also the projects shift by season as solo camping on the dual-sport doesn't happen in the winter, and working in the basement shop is hard to do when it is bright, sunny, and beautiful outside.

The last two summers have been spent on two wheels improving my riding, and the last two winters have been spent in my basement
    building a workshop (mill, lathe, mig, tig, stick, plasma, bandsaw, etc and scratch building a huge 6 axis CNC -work in progress-) and learning to code microprocessors.

Well how's that for a thread jacking?
    If DrKnows65 comes and says he has an authentic Darth Vader outfit like Dean too, then I will start to wonder if they were lost brothers at birth.