Thread: Aerial footage of MRA ROR final race

Aerial footage of MRA ROR final race

2017 Race of the Rockies - Final round

https://youtu.be/g691A6rcI0U

Re: Aerial footage of MRA ROR final race

You know what would be bad ass, if somehow they could put the technology in the drone that the SoloShot uses. Where it tracks objects and follows them as they pass by. However, in the case of the drone it could then lock on to the main pack and follow them around the track from the sky. Obviously it's not fast enough to follow the pack, but could float around the center of the paddock and move back and forth and I think it would get some pretty cool airborne footage.

nice footage
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    You know what would be bad ass, if somehow they could put the technology in the drone that the SoloShot uses. Where it tracks objects and follows them as they pass by. However, in the case of the drone it could then lock on to the main pack and follow them around the track from the sky. Obviously it's not fast enough to follow the pack, but could float around the center of the paddock and move back and forth and I think it would get some pretty cool airborne footage.

nice footage
    Check out the DJI website info on the Phantom 4. It does all that and way more.

Just a few basic things it will do... You can draw a path on the transmitter screen and it will follow it, keeping camera locked. You can tag/tap an object on the screen, and the quad will follow and camera will stay locked on it. You can control the camera with hand signals to do fag-ass selfies.

I've hit 50mph with my Phantom 4. Yup, not keeping up with any racing, but will shoot an "average" of the area it's trying to cover, keeping the camera locked on the target, once again.
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

Yeah that crash by Zach at T1 was gnarly. That R1 was 100% destroyed and he broke his hand unfortunately but walked away good considering the speed of that crash. When I got to assist that crash I was fearing worse. It was a good race though
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Quote Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean View Post
    Check out the DJI website info on the Phantom 4. It does all that and way more.

Just a few basic things it will do... You can draw a path on the transmitter screen and it will follow it, keeping camera locked. You can tag/tap an object on the screen, and the quad will follow and camera will stay locked on it. You can control the camera with hand signals to do fag-ass selfies.

I've hit 50mph with my Phantom 4. Yup, not keeping up with any racing, but will shoot an "average" of the area it's trying to cover, keeping the camera locked on the target, once again.
    That's an awesome little drone. Thing can do it all. So I guess I missed it in the video I just watched but the doing the review keeps mentioning Apple products(i.e. Ipad, Ipad mini). So does the drone only work with Apple products?? That's pretty cool how you can watch the feed live on the Ipad and manage the drone from there. I always thought the guys flying these drones just used the old school joy stick controllers that the RC plane guys use.

I could use one of those drones for long distance shooting. It would make zeroing the scope almost perfect. As after each shot, I could inspect the impact point on the target and really get a good close up look. I don't have the best spotting scope so I get lots of mirage wash out in mine, but even at 600yrds on full power my scope picks up too much mirage. With this drone I could fly it right up to the target and get real time and clear HD footage of what's actually going on downrange.

Did check the price on Amazon and they have it for $954. Not bad for the price, I'd be pissed at myself if I broke it though.

only got about half way through, but I'd buy if I had the $1000k to spend right now. I'm sure I'd need to get some time with it and become good at flying it. Looks fun though.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ant;%22%20/%3E
    Last edited by The Black Knight; Mon Oct 30th, 2017 at 08:05 PM.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Mine is the 4 Pro +. The transmitter has everything built in. No iPad or Android device needed.

It's a mean little machine. I'll fly itself down a hallway in your house. It has sonar, infrared and cameras to detect it's whereabouts. Amazing!!
    Kim & Dean

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    2017 Race of the Rockies - Final round

https://youtu.be/g691A6rcI0U
    That's awesome they let you fly out there! I always thought there was no point in asking. Who knew...

Did they limit you to hover only? Some parallel runs on the straight would be cool.
    Kim & Dean

That thing freaked me out the first time I saw it in one of the races. Low and right next to the track in T4 was a bad spot, keep it out of the rider's line of sight. I would have liked to know about it ahead of time.
    Last edited by tecknojoe; Tue Oct 31st, 2017 at 07:38 AM.

Cool to watch! Was that you in the lead on the red bike?

Quote Originally Posted by j0ker View Post
    Cool to watch! Was that you in the lead on the red bike?
    Nah that was Ryan Burke, he's been the #1 plate holder for the last couple years. He's pretty quick
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Quote Originally Posted by tecknojoe View Post
    That thing freaked me out the first time I saw it in one of the races. Low and right next to the track in T4 was a bad spot, keep it out of the rider's line of sight. I would have liked to know about it ahead of time.
    I am sorry that it freaked you out in this corner. But that is a busy corner, as it is right next to the access road.

I was trying to stay out of view, and high enough to avoid possibility of contact in the case of a runoff. I am looking at the video feed live.

Quote Originally Posted by tecknojoe View Post
    Oh really? Crazy. I was in the race for this video, but I had no idea it was even there. I was stuck behind a big s1000rr for most of the race though.

Biggest distraction of the weekend was the Paramotor flying over on Saturday.
    Last edited by WolFeYeZ; Tue Oct 31st, 2017 at 12:42 PM.
    MRA Expert #880 - 2015 AmateurGTO Champion, 2013 NoviceGTU Champion
    2006 YZF-R6 Race "No name" - 2005 YZF-R6 Street "Aurora"
    2015 Sponsors: Dunlop, Speedin Motorsports, STM Suspension, Silkolene Lubricants, EBC Brakes, Pit-Bull Products

Text: (72O) 432-7236

Quote Originally Posted by WolFeYeZ View Post
    Oh really? Crazy. I was in the race for this video, but I had no idea it was even there. I was stuck behind a big s1000rr for most of the race though.

I don't know if it was there for any of my races, didn't notice it. The paramotor would have been distracting for sure, I wasn't out at that time though. The dirt bike dust is always a bit distracting at Pueblo as well.
    Blair
    2000 GSX750F, 2003 YZ450F, 2004 GSXR750, 2006 ZX-14
    2013 CBR500R, 2016 YZF-R6 - MRA #760

I'm surprised that he wasn't bitched about, he was flying super low on the track, that could have been very dangerous.
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
    I'm surprised that he wasn't bitched about, he was flying super low on the track, that could have been very dangerous.
    Thing is, I don't think he was breaking any rules or laws with that thing. Nothing to bitch about except to bitch, lol.
    2015 Sponsors: Dunlop, Speedin Motorsports, STM Suspension, Silkolene Lubricants, EBC Brakes, Pit-Bull Products

Thing is, I don't think he was breaking any rules or laws with that thing. Nothing to bitch about except to bitch, lol.
    I wouldn't have let him hover over the race track, mainly when a race is ongoing. God forbid he stalls or some shit, loses control or whatever and runs into the track, we would have had a field day. On a cold track do whatever you want but imo he shouldn't have been hovering over the track.
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

I am sorry that it freaked you out in this corner. But that is a busy corner, as it is right next to the access road.

I was trying to stay out of view, and high enough to avoid possibility of contact in the case of a runoff. I am looking at the video feed live.
    Yea this looks like Supertwins O which is when I think I saw it. it was right in between where these two photos are taken, I saw it when I was on the brakes. It was about as low as the second photo and close to the track. The vid you posted in the OP was fine, it was high and well out of rider's sight. Interesting perspective.

I'm sure they just outright ban them because it's really hard to police it
    Last edited by tecknojoe; Tue Oct 31st, 2017 at 04:22 PM.

That crash cart operator picked the right spot to stage I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    That crash cart operator picked the right spot to stage I'd say.
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

Absolute get the safety concerns but that is very nice footage from a fun perspective I wouldn't have otherwise seen of the track. I understand why the no drone signs are at track entrances. But thinking If there could be a policy to seriously vet and limit pro operators out of/in limited rider sightline from the infield, promotional value of said footage could be beneficial to a track or race org.
    "On a cycle the frame is gone. You're completely in contact with it all. You're in the scene, not just watching it anymore, and the sense of presence is overwhelming.” Pirsig

The FAA controls airspace, there is no such thing a personal control of the airspace above a property, There were no TFR's (temp. flight restriction) or a permanent no fly zone. You can not invade peoples privacy, but there is no reasonable expectation of privacy at an open event of this type. You can not (at this time) fly over people at events, and I never would. The sUas must remain in line-of-site of the pilot in charge or a designated observer in contact with the PIC, which I did have both. I did not cross hot track occupied or otherwise. I flew some of the track during lunch break but stayed up on the north end during races.
    Pueblo would need to pass an ordinance limiting or prohibiting sUas operation in the park. Denver has a ban in city parks without permit. This includes echo lake and summit lake Jeffco Parks are no fly.
    The cameras on all my quads will look straight down at the push of a button so I can easily see what is directly under the craft and I use this to position. The mechanical and electrical dependability of the things is outstanding (all of mine are DJI). The smarts on these are impressive to say the least.
    You don't NEED to know how to fly to fly one these, you DO need to know some important things to do it safely. I work in a field that is extremely safety conscious and have a lot of general safety training over the years so I am very used to evaluating situations for safe operation of equipment and procedures.

Also, being a member of the Academy of Model Aeronautics I fly with $1M in liability Insurance and can easily purchase up to $4M additional from my phone billed hourly.

When you want a shot that would endanger a photogs well-being you send in the drone. These are the way to get footage from a perspective not available to Terra-photogs. Some people are excited about it, others not so much. I know HPR has a no drone policy, and although in a legal sense a person could fly there. I won't, because I respect their wishes, and, Glenn probably would try to shoot it down lol

The FAA controls airspace, there is no such thing a personal control of the airspace above a property, There were no TFR's (temp. flight restriction) or a permanent no fly zone. You can not invade peoples privacy, but there is no reasonable expectation of privacy at an open event of this type. You can not (at this time) fly over people at events, and I never would. The sUas must remain in line-of-site of the pilot in charge or a designated observer in contact with the PIC, which I did have both. I did not cross hot track occupied or otherwise. I flew some of the track during lunch break but stayed up on the north end during races.
    Pueblo would need to pass an ordinance limiting or prohibiting sUas operation in the park. Denver has a ban in city parks without permit. This includes echo lake and summit lake Jeffco Parks are no fly.
    The cameras on all my quads will look straight down at the push of a button so I can easily see what is directly under the craft and I use this to position. The mechanical and electrical dependability of the things is outstanding (all of mine are DJI). The smarts on these are impressive to say the least.
    You don't NEED to know how to fly to fly one these, you DO need to know some important things to do it safely. I work in a field that is extremely safety conscious and have a lot of general safety training over the years so I am very used to evaluating situations for safe operation of equipment and procedures.

Also, being a member of the Academy of Model Aeronautics I fly with $1M in liability Insurance and can easily purchase up to $4M additional from my phone billed hourly.

When you want a shot that would endanger a photogs well-being you send in the drone. These are the way to get footage from a perspective not available to Terra-photogs. Some people are excited about it, others not so much. I know HPR has a no drone policy, and although in a legal sense a person could fly there. I won't, because I respect their wishes, and, Glenn probably would try to shoot it down lol
    I was talking about the Paramotor Saturday, which has similar rules, but what I said applies to you as well. Thanks for putting it in better terms :P

As for HPR, isn't shooting them down the only illegal action described? lol