Quote Originally Posted by blaircsf View Post
I don't think the spec IMU is going to make as big of a difference as some people think. The Yamaha MotoGP project leader has said he doesn't think so either http://www.bikesportnews.com/news/ne...ort-says-tsuya .

So for Marquez to lock up the championship he can't lose more than 2 points to Dovi or 24 to Rossi. If he wins the race or finishes in front of both it's championship #7, If Dovi wins it moves on. For Marquez to finish behind Dovi and still win it, they have to be 4th or lower. I guess we will see...
I think it's a Yes and No. Yes, in that I believe it will finally level things for everyone and no one will be able to bend the rule the way they have this year. No, in that I don't think it's giving huge gains to everyone. If you take into consideration that Yamaha's performance isn't that bad(they really are just a few tenths away at most tracks) but it is enough to keep them off the podium. They are close but they don't have that consistent podium or racing winning pace.

I also don't think Yamaha would ever reveal if it actually is a big deal for them or not. That's publicly telling your rivals you're struggling, you know why and still can't fix it. They won't ever do that. But you can tell Yamaha are giving their all. I think the guy from WSBK that they have recruited over from their Superbike team may have found something. And sometimes that's all it takes. A fresh set of eyes or a new way of thinking to come up with solutions to the problems. Apparently the guy is somewhat of a guru with ECU stuff, so I'm sure he was enlisted to help figure this out.

Which is why I agree with MadVlad also. I believe it was a technicality for bending the rules. The big two figured it out and bent the rule to the point of breaking it off. Yamaha, I believe tried to take the high road and just develop the bike with what they were given or allowed to have.

I agree, I believe Ducati and Honda are ahead. But I also believe that this may take away that little advantage they are having at the moment. Which would be good, it would help bring Yamaha back into the thick of things and with as close as Suzuki is, it will bring them even closer. We also want to see KTM and Aprilia at some point fighting for podiums. So if it helps to bring them in as well, then it's only a good thing.

I also think that's what manufactures do. Is they figure out ways around stuff. They hire people to do just that, figure out ways around things. With the IMU being locked up, we may see some competitive teams for a year or two. Then we'll start to see a couple manufactures start to pull away again, as they will have figured out ways around things again.

Happens all the time in Formula 1. They slam F1 will all kinds of restraints and sure as the world, the teams actually go faster. The adage, if there's a will, there's a way... always applies in racing...