Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: New house security system

  1. #1
    Senior Member Ezzzzy1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Castle Rock
    Posts
    4,303

    New house security system

    Im building a new home (Done in January) and will be running some cat5 for some external cameras. I figure I might as well run a 4K system but havent decided yet. Im looking to do 3-4 bullet cameras and 1 dome that can be controlled via their app.

    Whats anyone experience with these things?

    Am looking at purchasing a 4K NVR w/ 2tb HD like this one and then purchasing individual cameras for each need
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-L...YAAOSwTQtZ-Pry
    Mo-Door.com - Contact me for CSC pricing

    Mo-Door on: Twitter Facebook

  2. #2
    Gold Member bulldog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    8,611

    Re: New house security system

    Sorry got nothing to contribute on that system, but since you know your electronics any reason you went wired vs wireless? I've been thinking about a wireless system.


    Saw this one from your link https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lorex-4-Cam....c100009.m1982


    For me 1080 is fine as 4k seems a bit overkill if just to collect evidence.....save the 4k for the bedroom camera


    P.S. You really building this house yourself or just meant paid to get it built....just curious as I picture you in your carpenter belt.
    Last edited by bulldog; Wed Nov 22nd, 2017 at 12:00 PM.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

  3. #3
    Gold Member Kim-n-Dean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Aurora
    Posts
    5,592

    Re: New house security system

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezzzzy1 View Post
    Im building a new home (Done in January)
    Who designed it? You should have hit me up. My homes have won awards...

    Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    ... any reason you went wired vs wireless?
    Hard-wire everything on new construction. Way more reliable, way more secure!
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M


    .

  4. #4
    Senior Member j0ker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Longmont, CO
    Posts
    1,303

    Re: New house security system

    Quote Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean View Post
    Hard-wire everything on new construction. Way more reliable, way more secure!
    I so agree with you about this. I have done quite a few home security installs and some people might be amazed at how unreliable normal wireless can be in critical streaming situations.

    Always cable cameras unless you just can't.

  5. #5
    Gold Member bulldog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    8,611

    Re: New house security system

    Quote Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean View Post

    Hard-wire everything on new construction. Way more reliable, way more secure!
    Quote Originally Posted by j0ker View Post
    I so agree with you about this. I have done quite a few home security installs and some people might be amazed at how unreliable normal wireless can be in critical streaming situations.

    Always cable cameras unless you just can't.
    Ok, makes sense and figured. For me it would be rough running wires, so that is why I am considering one of the wireless systems. Sucks to hear they are not that reliable....thanks.

    I was considering the "Ring" system and doorbell...any thoughts on that one? https://ring.com/

    Dumb questions, but I assume you have to hide/protect the wires right (as just run wires on side of house visible; yeah ghetto, just curious)? If not couldn't someone just cut them prior?
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

  6. #6
    Gold Member Kim-n-Dean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Aurora
    Posts
    5,592

    Re: New house security system

    Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    Ok, makes sense and figured. For me it would be rough running wires, so that is why I am considering one of the wireless systems. Sucks to hear they are not that reliable....thanks.

    I was considering the "Ring" system and doorbell...any thoughts on that one? https://ring.com/

    Dumb questions, but I assume you have to hide/protect the wires right (as just run wires on side of house visible; yeah ghetto, just curious)? If not couldn't someone just cut them prior?
    If you're house is already built, you pretty much have to go wireless, unless you're really creative and want to drill a bunch of holes. However, if you have a ranch, it's pretty easy to wire through the attic.
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M


    .

  7. #7
    Gold Member madvlad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Greenwood Village, CO
    Posts
    9,854

    Re: New house security system

    Quote Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean View Post
    Who designed it? You should have hit me up. My homes have won awards...

    Hard-wire everything on new construction. Way more reliable, way more secure!
    This lol, I do low voltage cabling now and fiber optics and yeah man definitely do all of this stuff as you're building cause it will be a cluster fuck if you do it after the finished product is up
    Last edited by madvlad; Wed Nov 22nd, 2017 at 10:13 PM.
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

    2016 60th R1 - Garage mates to follow soon
    2002 Nissan Maxima SE 6SPD - 250k and still running strong

  8. #8
    Senior Member Ezzzzy1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Castle Rock
    Posts
    4,303

    Re: New house security system

    Quote Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean View Post
    Who designed it? You should have hit me up. My homes have won awards...
    You know, I probably knew that in the back of my head. Wish I would have remembered! A company named Mayberry did the design.

    I agree with the hard wire if possible. My biggest fear with recording is that you capture the moment the quality of the camera and storage of the event are not clear enough to make anything out. Especially at night. I feel like the with the 4K at least the raw footage has a shot of catching all the details. That and the last thing I want is for an interruption because of a disconnect from the router. Also, keep in mind that you need to run the electrical for the camera anyways, so you might as well just run both wires.

    Can anyone comment on the clarity difference between 1080 and 4K on these things?
    Mo-Door.com - Contact me for CSC pricing

    Mo-Door on: Twitter Facebook

  9. #9
    Gold Member madvlad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Greenwood Village, CO
    Posts
    9,854

    Re: New house security system

    Well you could do POE if you're running to a switch or the recording box would work as a switch if it'll be running off a server if you dont want to power the cameras directly to power lines.
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

    2016 60th R1 - Garage mates to follow soon
    2002 Nissan Maxima SE 6SPD - 250k and still running strong

  10. #10
    Gold Member Kim-n-Dean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Aurora
    Posts
    5,592

    Re: New house security system

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezzzzy1 View Post
    You know, I probably knew that in the back of my head. Wish I would have remembered! A company named Mayberry did the design.

    I agree with the hard wire if possible. My biggest fear with recording is that you capture the moment the quality of the camera and storage of the event are not clear enough to make anything out. Especially at night. I feel like the with the 4K at least the raw footage has a shot of catching all the details. That and the last thing I want is for an interruption because of a disconnect from the router. Also, keep in mind that you need to run the electrical for the camera anyways, so you might as well just run both wires.

    Can anyone comment on the clarity difference between 1080 and 4K on these things?
    A friend has the eight camera set-up by Lorex. Since he's in a ranch, he was able to hard-wire. The cameras are powered by the BNC cable. So, only one cable per camera. It's 1080 and crystal clear even at night.
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M


    .

Similar Threads

  1. PC security softwares
    By madvlad in forum Non-Bike Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: Mon Jun 22nd, 2015, 08:20 AM
  2. Data security
    By TFOGGuys in forum Pics and Videos
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Wed Feb 4th, 2009, 01:04 AM
  3. Motorcycle Security
    By olds_cool in forum Gear & Accessories
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: Sun Jan 14th, 2007, 11:14 PM
  4. Internet Security
    By Mel in forum Jokes & Stuff
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Sun Nov 5th, 2006, 11:19 PM
  5. Phantom Anti Theft Tracking Security System
    By DarkKnight in forum Gear & Accessories
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Thu Feb 24th, 2005, 04:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •