Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX – is a 200 PS, supercharged sports-tourer too much?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Board Newbie

2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX – is a 200 PS, supercharged sports-tourer too much?

In short, no. Not really. Let’s be clear about this from the get-go, there are people who will lean on both ends of the spectrum when it comes to this question. It all depends on who you’re asking. To some, the 2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX is exactly what the doctor prescribed. To others, it’s complete overkill – a tool for tools to prance about on with little to no relevance as far as the average Joe or Jane is concerned.

Revealed to the world not too long ago, the H2 SX and H2 SX SE is more than just a regular Kawasaki H2 that has been fitted with (optional) panniers. For starters, the H2 SX boasts new bodywork to go with a more robust trellis frame. Elsewhere, power output has been lowered to 200 PS compared to the H2’s figure of 215 PS(with ram-air) but torque figures have been increased by 3.8 Nm to 137.3 Nm.

While the engine itself retains the same 998 cc displacement and inline-four cylinder layout as the H2, the engine of the H2 SX has been reworked with new cast aluminum pistons, cylinder heads and cylinders. Also, the compression ratio has been increased from 8.5:1 to 11.2:1 while the supercharger features a new impeller, intake chamber, cams and exhaust components.

In terms of cockpit display, the 2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX is equipped with an LCD screen while the H2 SX SE gets a fancier full-color TFT display along with Kawasaki Launch Control Mode, a quickshifter for clutchless shifting, heated grips and a centerstand as well as LED cornering lights to go with the full LED lighting system – the latter is available on the H2 SX as standard.

Seat height of the H2 SX is quoted at 835 mm and the fuel tank is capable of carrying a total of 19 litres as opposed to the 17 in the H2. Kerb weight is rated at 256 kg. So, that’s pretty much the gist of the new Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX. Yes, it may seem like a sports tourer that’s constructed way out of the realm of relevance but if no one pushes the boundaries of engineering, we’ll all still be riding around on horses, right?

Saw this on the website: https://imotorbike.my/news/2017/12/2...ourer-too-much

Re: 2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX – is a 200 PS, supercharged sports-tourer too much?

Quote Originally Posted by iMotorbike View Post
    In short, no. Not really. Let’s be clear about this from the get-go, there are people who will lean on both ends of the spectrum when it comes to this question. It all depends on who you’re asking. To some, the 2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX is exactly what the doctor prescribed. To others, it’s complete overkill – a tool for tools to prance about on with little to no relevance as far as the average Joe or Jane is concerned.

Revealed to the world not too long ago, the H2 SX and H2 SX SE is more than just a regular Kawasaki H2 that has been fitted with (optional) panniers. For starters, the H2 SX boasts new bodywork to go with a more robust trellis frame. Elsewhere, power output has been lowered to 200 PS compared to the H2’s figure of 215 PS(with ram-air) but torque figures have been increased by 3.8 Nm to 137.3 Nm.

While the engine itself retains the same 998 cc displacement and inline-four cylinder layout as the H2, the engine of the H2 SX has been reworked with new cast aluminum pistons, cylinder heads and cylinders. Also, the compression ratio has been increased from 8.5:1 to 11.2:1 while the supercharger features a new impeller, intake chamber, cams and exhaust components.

In terms of cockpit display, the 2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX is equipped with an LCD screen while the H2 SX SE gets a fancier full-color TFT display along with Kawasaki Launch Control Mode, a quickshifter for clutchless shifting, heated grips and a centerstand as well as LED cornering lights to go with the full LED lighting system – the latter is available on the H2 SX as standard.

Seat height of the H2 SX is quoted at 835 mm and the fuel tank is capable of carrying a total of 19 litres as opposed to the 17 in the H2. Kerb weight is rated at 256 kg. So, that’s pretty much the gist of the new Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX. Yes, it may seem like a sports tourer that’s constructed way out of the realm of relevance but if no one pushes the boundaries of engineering, we’ll all still be riding around on horses, right?

Saw this on the website: https://imotorbike.my/news/2017/12/2...ourer-too-much
    Some images of the bike:

Honestly I love the idea! Sport Tourer with some balls...seems like a great option for older guys like me who want to make the switch to something more comfy, but not lose the power of the sportbike.
    Last edited by bulldog; Wed Dec 6th, 2017 at 07:16 AM.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

Re: 2018 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX – is a 200 PS, supercharged sports-tourer too much?

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    Some images of the bike:

Honestly I love the idea! Sport Tourer with some balls...seems like a great option for older guys like me who want to make the switch to something more comfy, but not lose the power of the sportbike.
    They've had the ZG1400 Concourse which is damn peppy and you still get the comfort factor, hell some Littleton and CSP officers use them still. Not my cup of tea but I'm sure it will sell.
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
    They've had the ZG1400 Concourse which is damn peppy and you still get the comfort factor, hell some Littleton and CSP officers use them still. Not my cup of tea but I'm sure it will sell.
    Yeah but a 1400CC vs a 998CC.......FI (forced induction) makes a huge difference to get that power from a smaller bike....hence why I drive a WRX with a tiny 2.5 litter engine, but with FI! I spent most my riding days on a 600cc for this reason (re-geared, but always smaller than a 1000cc); love me a smaller bike.

ZG1400 Concourse = 157HP and weighs 670lbs
    Ninja H2 SX = 200hp and weighs 564pnds

I doubt it would even be a race between the two with those stats; the Ninja should blow the doors off it.

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

I doubt it would even be a race between the two with those stats; the Ninja should blow the doors off it.
    How? It has no doors.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Goose View Post
    How? It has no doors.
    Good one....you got me there....

Ummm....blow it's socks off then...no, doesn't have socks....fine...it will make it eat dust.....well if on dirt...ok a dirty paved road dust.

Looks alone I'd choose the Ninja for sure!
    Last edited by bulldog; Wed Dec 6th, 2017 at 11:04 AM.

Yeah but a 1400CC vs a 998CC.......FI (forced induction) makes a huge difference to get that power from a smaller bike....hence why I drive a WRX with a tiny 2.5 litter engine, but with FI! I spent most my riding days on a 600cc for this reason (re-geared, but always smaller than a 1000cc); love me a smaller bike.

ZG1400 Concourse = 157HP and weighs 670lbs
    Ninja H2 SX = 200hp and weighs 564pnds

157hp is more than enough to get that thing going lol, 200hp for a non track bike is absolutely stupid lol
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

157hp is more than enough to get that thing going lol, 200hp for a non track bike is absolutely stupid lol
    I guess that is one opinion....I think it is awesome!

Guess same could be said for a 1000cc sportbike though.....doubt 98% of people could ride a 600 (sportbike race type; ex: Honda 600RR) to it's full potential, but we see 1000cc's all over......like your Ducati right

Plus Just because you have a lot of HP doesn't mean you have to go 100+ mph; the added power helps with traffic and getting in and out on the low end. Plus with this weight I am sure it will handle better too......

+1. I have helibars on my VFR to make long distances comfy without losing the sportiness of the bike. But it is a bit dated compared to the latest generation of sport tourers. If I didn't love the V4 so much I'd be thinking Ninja 1000 or something, the H2 is a bit out of my price range these days.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Foooking nice ride right there. I have been watching the releases since they started talking about the new SX. To me, the riding position still seems overly aggressive for a touring bike though. Where are the cup holders?!

Awesome bike and not a bad price. I like a little more tour in my sport touring and haven't felt short on power. But dang that looks fun.
    "On a cycle the frame is gone. You're completely in contact with it all. You're in the scene, not just watching it anymore, and the sense of presence is overwhelming.” Pirsig

Having +1000cc's on a sport tourer means less shifting in the twisty stuff, and less high rpm vibration when you're covering ground at light speed.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

So what, now we have fake accounts advertising here?

At any rate. Personally, I think it's ugly. And having sat on one, I find my S1000RR more comfortable. Plus my RR has more touring items (cruise control!), gets better fuel economy, and would destroy that bike in any performance scenario. I lack the OEM panniers, but I've got some nice aftermarket ones.

I've hated the H2 since the concept came out. Forced induction has one serious drawback that everyone seems to be missing, and it's why this bike weighs 120+ pounds more than any other 1,000 Superbike. And I know they're touting this as a sport touring bike, but that's because they tried advertising it as a superbike but it was too heavy. Well it's too fat, so why not try calling it a sport touring bike and adding panniers? Yet it's as uncomfortable as a ZX10R. And the 10R is faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Funny... was thinking the same thing. Click baity goodness.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Funny... was thinking the same thing. Click baity goodness.
    And yet, still #1 post starter and #1 post last week

#permaban
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

#permaban
    I don't know, I actually like the site he posted and have found some good content on there

At least it got us talking.......

Just being sarcastic lol
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

Just being sarcastic lol
    Heck, you are more into the motorcycle stuff than me nowadays....surprised you didn't like that site too. Seriously has some cool motorcycle articles.

Not much of a reader to be honest lol and being honest, I didn't click the site
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

I want to go read the articles, I'm pissed Sport Rider closed shop.

But I don't want to support their clickbait bullshit. Maybe if the writer joined the discussion and did more than copy/paste the article, add a link, and try to make it look anonymous.

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Not sure why I'm gonna put this here, but here goes...

Found your Christmas Sweater, Nate!

~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    Not sure why I'm gonna put this here, but here goes...

Found your Christmas Sweater, Nate!

That's awesome...thanks! Were did you find that?

I just got some bulldog socks and my wife bought me this sweater:

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

That's awesome...thanks! Were did you find that? <Snip...>
    A website called Sunfrog.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson