Thread: Denver/Colorado u-turn laws

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Denver/Colorado u-turn laws

Hey folks, having trouble finding any information about this. Is it legal to make a u-turn at a four-way intersection with two stop signs?

I was in a minor accident tonight (in my car) where I had stopped, made a u-turn at a four-way intersection with two stop signs (quiet street in Cap Hill), and the guy that was behind me at the stop sign turned left and hit my left-rear quarter panel as I was completing my u-turn.

Only thing I've found is a California law that states that "Drivers may legally make U-turns at four- and two-way stop signs, as long as there are no signs prohibiting the move and no oncoming traffic makes it hazardous" and read somewhere that the driver in the intersection has the right of way until he/she clears the intersection. Obviously California law doesn't mean jack here, but that's all I've found.
    -Greg
    2013 BMW R1200GS

Re: Denver/Colorado u-turn laws

Paging Aaron
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
    Paging Aaron
    He's not a cop anymore.....

Quote Originally Posted by Grim2.0 View Post
    He's not a cop anymore.....
    I know but he still knows the laws and could shed some light on this
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
    I know but he still knows the laws and could shed some light on this
    He doesn't know $hit

Quote Originally Posted by Think View Post
    Hey folks, having trouble finding any information about this. Is it legal to make a u-turn at a four-way intersection with two stop signs?

I was in a minor accident tonight (in my car) where I had stopped, made a u-turn at a four-way intersection with two stop signs (quiet street in Cap Hill), and the guy that was behind me at the stop sign turned left and hit my left-rear quarter panel as I was completing my u-turn.

Only thing I've found is a California law that states that "Drivers may legally make U-turns at four- and two-way stop signs, as long as there are no signs prohibiting the move and no oncoming traffic makes it hazardous" and read somewhere that the driver in the intersection has the right of way until he/she clears the intersection. Obviously California law doesn't mean jack here, but that's all I've found.
    Since he was behind you at the stop sign, he needed to wait for your to completely make a safe turn and leave the intersection. Did you call for law enforcement or did you do the usual exchange insurance information and both leave??

Here's one thing I've learned and abide by it religiously. If you are involved in an accident, no matter how minor or small. Call for a cop to show up and do an investigation. Why? Because for one you've been in an accident and pictures need to be taken, statements need to be gathered and in this case, the guy who hit you should have been issued a ticket. I mean, he hit you. Regardless of where you were at in the intersection, can't the guy wait??

This is why, I've been using a dash-cam in my car now for several months. I don't trust anyone, and I'm not about to do the "exchange" insurance thing with some schmuck that just hit me. Once you're in the accident, who cares how long it takes. Wait for a cop to show up and do their thing.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Since he was behind you at the stop sign, he needed to wait for your to completely make a safe turn and leave the intersection.
    Do you know where I can find that in writing?

I wanted to call the police, and I have for a previous minor accident when I was in Maine, but we didn't. Fortunately he's accepted blame and even told his insurance company, but when I spoke to his insurance company today they wanted to confirm some details with him after my statement - I think the woman was confused as to what happened. But lesson learned, that's what I'll do always from here on out.

I actually have a dash cam, but I work on Buckley and it's a pain in the ass to remove it and put it back on every time I go on and then leave base.
    -Greg
    2013 BMW R1200GS

I’m with BK. If he hit you from behind I’d think he would be at fault. It was his responsibility to wait till it was safe to proceed. No expert just my opinion.
    Bulldog's Motto: F*ck around and I'm going to bite you!!!

www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1