Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new rider almost crashed!

new rider almost crashed!

So, first of all i bought a klx250 as my first bike...super fun!!! no regrets. I am a super vigilant driver with a car and I guess you can say the same thing with a motorcycle. So, on my way down tutt... i saw this girl trying to make a left turn trying to cross both lanes. seems one car let her through as I picked up and I switched to time to brake mode because I had a feeling she was going to make a left turn...keep in mind i had no stop sign or nothing just a normal straight road.

indeed, she made a left on me and hit the brakes. I threw my hands up in the air like wtf you doing and she threw HER hands up in the air like it was my fault?? hilarious...license plate read california. So what I am saying is, even I would have never slowed down and anticipated it, I would have hit her going 40MPH....it was hilarious because she didn't even look right!! so I probably saved her from not crashing into a car..bc a car prob would have not slowed down

same issue going tutt. some moron was making a left and i started to see his tires roll....as I was approaching..he was already on the other lane still making a left onto mine. At this point i couldn't tell if he was able to see me or not until I was about 5 feet from the car..and again i throw my hands up in the air like wtf you doing and does it back to me like im at fault. I felt like rolling down his window and fckn yelling at him, you never want to roll a left turn on a motorcycle because we are not in a cage and can not tell if you can see us or not. but knowing if i was going to rage, it would have made it more dangerous for me.

anyhow, seems people in colorado springs are just stupid as they can be when driving. being this aware, do you think its a technique I can improve over time? im actually pretty scared of the drivers here. they have no respect for other people and they lack common sense....like never roll on a left turn to an upcoming motorcycle because we cant tell if you are going to take it or not.

I mean almost seems I am going to crash for certain eventually on my bike because of these retard drivers...have you guys had any luck and never crashed? any tips? I dont speed neither. usually go with the flow of traffic and try not to be in their blind spot. I am also taking the MSF course as well and some advanced riding as well a year down the road. I love biking but man I just want to see if its a skill/technique i can improve?

Re: new rider almost crashed!

Welcome and well it’s not only in the springs but all over Colorado in general. You have this mix of all kinds of retards from all states so this will be your daily thing man. The only thing you can do is anticipate as much as you can, stay as alert as you can, definitely take the MSF course as it will help you tons and if you’re commuting a lot may I recommend a GoPro to cover your ass in case of a crash. I’ve been here for 20 years and riding 13 of those and I refuse to commute on the bike now, ocassionally I will go meet friends for brunch but about it, I’ve had more close calls in these last 3 years than in all the 13 years I’ve been riding altogether due to all the distracted and entitled morons out there. Head west if you’re going to ride man, that’s all I can recommend.
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

its unbelievable. im from Miami fl and i thought the drivers there were bad, but by far colorado and their transplants are even worse! I actually wanted to drive around the city to head to some trails like gold camp road and stuff, but is it really that bad out here to drive? or as long as im pretty vigilant i should be ok. just wondering what is peoples experience out here? I still see tons of riders out here without gear; my guess if theres ton of riders w.o gear here im guessing they havent had that many bad experiences. It is definitely a no brainer not to speed in COS; either way I cant since im on a 250, but was thinking of getting a z650 eventually
    Last edited by willc86; Sat Mar 31st, 2018 at 10:57 AM.

I’m afraid so man and hate to say it but well unfortunately that’s what we have to deal with now. Just the overall mix of drivers from all over in this tiny city man just cooks up for chaos.
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Quote Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
    its unbelievable. im from Miami fl and i thought the drivers there were bad, but by far colorado and their transplants are even worse! I actually wanted to drive around the city to head to some trails like gold camp road and stuff, but is it really that bad out here to drive? or as long as im pretty vigilant i should be ok. just wondering what is peoples experience out here? I still see tons of riders out here without gear; my guess if theres ton of riders w.o gear here im guessing they havent had that many bad experiences. It is definitely a no brainer not to speed in COS; either way I cant since im on a 250, but was thinking of getting a z650 eventually
    overall take your time, go through your training and only seat time will make you better and wiser, we all started somewhere and it’s good that you care to be cautious and what not which is more than what I can say for other riders out here who think they’re invincible on 2 wheels. Move up to a bigger bike only when you feel comfortable doing so
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

appreciate it man! yeah it will be a while before i get a 650. ive been slowly hitting the streets little by a little but just trying to teach myself proper awareness and what i can do to avoid myself to be put in danger when people make a left turn. I mean i got bright yellow high vis gear, super bright LED day running lights and im like 6ft 1 on a klx250 and still couldnt see me. crazy...

im guessing if I drive the speed limit stay on the slow lane with the other cars and reallly keep an eye on left turners I should be ok and avoid more close calls. fun part ( as we all know and hate to agree) is going a bit fast but id rather give that up and just be safe

I wouldn't say you almost crashed. Instead, you did everything right considering your experience. You scanned, anticipated and reacted appropriately. Except for the WTF .. I still do that sometimes but mostly I learned to shake my head and continue on my way. Do you ride with high beams on? COS seems to have more than its share of idiots but it's all over the front range. I miss my KLX, it was a fun lil bike.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    I wouldn't say you almost crashed. Instead, you did everything right considering your experience.
    My thoughts too, although they definitely need a WTF!?

yeah that is probably more accurate. just amazing though. anyhow I do ride with my high beams on the day time I also have day light running LED bars. (not the off roading ones) but they are very bright. It should grab other drivers attention since it is plenty bright, but not always.

How are your guys riding experiences out here for the rest of you guys? been ok or pretty crappy riding around colorado? Any technique recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
    yeah that is probably more accurate. just amazing though. anyhow I do ride with my high beams on the day time I also have day light running LED bars. (not the off roading ones) but they are very bright. It should grab other drivers attention since it is plenty bright, but not always.

How are your guys riding experiences out here for the rest of you guys? been ok or pretty crappy riding around colorado? Any technique recommendations?
    I've been riding since 2003 and really have seen Colorado and its drivers change, not in a good way either. Of all the bikes I've owned, I'd say my most favorite one to commute with, was always the most dangerous one to ride, was my Harley 1200 Sportster. It was very comfortable and really nice to ride. Yet, even with screaming eagles on it, people never heard me, let alone saw me. What made that bike dangerous was that, unlike a sportbike it didn't have the power nor the braking capabilities to really save me from a situation. With all my sportbikes, I've been able to either stop super fast or accelerate away from a bad situation. However, now in 2018 I have no desire to ever ride a motorcycle while in traffic again. Way to many people that are preoccupied with their cellphones or other distractions in the vehicle. Coupled with the fact that Colorado Springs is supposed to continue experiencing a population boom. Just all adds up to a bad combination for riding a bike a traffic. At my old job, I used to work from 6am-230pm and commuting wasn't bad. However, now that my work schedule puts me in the thick of morning traffic and evening rush hour, plus driving a longer distance home, makes commuting on a bike almost impossible.

Our mountain canyons are great. I cut my teeth on canyons for a few years before ending up doing lots of track days. Yet, our mountains have changed and for the worse as well. I've been on a few road trips for my current work, that take me near my old stomping grounds in the mountains and it's a joke just how congested the mountains have become. Again, more and more people are coming to Colorado, which only means more and more people on the roads even in the mountains.

So for me, I eventually ended up at the track full time and did that for a very long time. It wasn't until that getting to the track became more of a burden than it was worth(mainly with Pueblo's policy of having at least 15 or more riders or they wouldn't open). So I decided last year to sell my bike and just give up riding altogether. It's not something I miss doing, I'll always miss the track because it was loads of fun but riding in general(i.e commuting, mountain rides) lost its luster for me years ago.

But I've had so many experiences that I can't remember them all. Had lots of near misses and close calls. Had a few crashes(both road and track), had lots of different bikes. Really for you man, you've come to Colorado at the wrong time. I can say this as I'm a native born and raised, but there are just way to many people here and that continue to come here. Since Colorado just had to legalize a certain narcotic, we now even have more people migrating here just for that reason. It's one reason why I think there is an increase in mountain traffic, as it's still big business to grow that stuff in the open mountains. Again, I say this as a native, you see people in the mountains that really have no business being in the mountains, and you'd have to be a native to understand what the means. But you see them all over.

The cool thing with your KLX, is there are still lots of trails and fireroads to ride here in Colorado. Seems that it's the one thing that has kept up here, although there was a big push a few years ago, to start limiting off road riding because people were getting irritated by the noise. But since you're in the Springs, you can hit up Rainbow Falls, Painted Rocks(Westcreek) for some close off road trail riding. 717 is a cool trail, and I think it's Hackett trail that will take you to Metberry, Longwater and a few other trails near the Platte river.

Only technique I could recommend, is be defensive when riding here. If you ride with the fact that people on the road have no clue where they are going, you'll do well and ride long.
    Last edited by The Black Knight; Mon Apr 2nd, 2018 at 08:40 PM. Reason: typos
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

My hi-beams are on 24/7. I definitey have people do stupid shit, but for the most part, it's going to be pretty hard to get me. My focus never drops, especially going through intersections! If it drops, they got ya!

Nice to see people are still joining this busted-ass website. Summer is almost here! Shit, we didn't have a winter!

BTW - willc86 - What would your avatar be if you could actually load one?
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

ha ha appreciate all of the responses!! im still figuring out if I should ride or not in the street..if its suicide or not..i dont have much close calls on my car because I drive the speed limit all the time and really can predict when a car is going to do a stupid move..try to avoid being in blind spots etc etc cant say the same for a motorcycle... i guess the only thing I can do on my bike is play it safe and learn on what to do to avoid close calls such as me spotting that left turner a while back.. stay in the left lane so left turns can see me etc etc and keep my distance.

haha my avatar no clue yet!! ill come up with something!! I cant wait to finish the MSF course and just ride around. Might make a trip to Cheyenne MTN pass. and even gold camp road.

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

She threw her hands up with a WTF because it was your fault for not stopping for her dumb ass to let her turn left.. the millennial age of expectancy.. I expect other drivers to cater to my bad driving habits and allow me to do whatever, whenever..sighhh.. . wtf .. uh NO!!
    There is a guy on this forum that this exact thing happened to, unfortunately, he wasn't so lucky, ended up T-boning the driver turning left in front of him and if I remember correctly, ended up breaking both wrists, totaling his bike. etc..

I agree with asp_125, you did everything you could do with your experience.. other than stop and kick her door in KIDDING!!! When riding around town, you have to be really diligent about expecting the unexpected and waiting for drivers to do something they're not supposed to be doing, ie. U-Turns are a big one!

Have you taken any MSF courses yet?

Welcome to the board
    Last edited by Sully; Mon Apr 2nd, 2018 at 09:59 AM.
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Sol Performance - Pirelli Tires

Oh don’t get me started on middle of the street u-turns... motherfuckers here are kings at not using their blinkers already and then out of nowhere you have the entitled prick or twenty who will pull an u-turn without warning because they don’t feel like waiting.
    Last edited by madvlad; Mon Apr 2nd, 2018 at 05:57 PM.
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

We're still learning about the traffic in the Springs now that we are closer to it than up north. Before, I'd avoid commuting unless I could take back roads and side streets. I still can't believe I commuted I-25 for six months and survived!

The others are right, with a KLX (Just picked up one again myself) you can get out of town and jump on the many dirt roads and trails out of the Springs (like picking up Rampart Range from Garden of the Gods).

Some of the best riding in the state is away from the Front Range. The city and foothills seem to have their share of idiots.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    We're still learning about the traffic in the Springs now that we are closer to it than up north. Before, I'd avoid commuting unless I could take back roads and side streets. I still can't believe I commuted I-25 for six months and survived!

The others are right, with a KLX (Just picked up one again myself) you can get out of town and jump on the many dirt roads and trails out of the Springs (like picking up Rampart Range from Garden of the Gods).

Some of the best riding in the state is away from the Front Range. The city and foothills seem to have their share of idiots.

haha exactly!!! O_o i thought the road was closed from garden of the gods to 300 (rampart) did they open it again? that is so cool if they did!!

And yeah!! def going to take my MSF....going to take it next week. I am a big believer in safety so dont mind spending the money knowing i can die any day. Ive been riding everyday but not much close calls (unless dirt) could be I drive like a granny ha ha..i go the speed of traffic but keep my distance wayyy back..also try not to stay in a blind spot. I feel safer if cars pass me and see me vs me gunning it on the fast lane and a car merging into me. anytime I see a car making a left i slow down and get ready to slam my brakes reducing speed on impact.

ill def say if I was not paying attention and speeding I prob would have close calls such as little kids jumping out of the road one time chasing a ball, lady turning a left turn and she did not see me until she was in my lane and a car that almost ran a stop sign (pulled out pretty hard and i slammed my brakes, stalled, and she took off lolol)

been trying to master my brakes too since they are not ABS, but me being 220 lbs, seems pretty hard for the rear to lift up when i hit my front brakes hard

question though.....these U turns....can you guys explain where or what situation it happens a lot? like a U turn on a red light for them? or straight up in the middle of the road?

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
    Oh don’t get me started on middle of the street u-turns... motherfuckers here are kings at not using their blinkers already and then out of nowhere you have the entitled prick or twenty who will pull an u-turn without warning because they don’t feel like waiting.
    I had a cop to that to me while I was on my bicycle... a freaking COP! And he looked at me like it was my fault after I yelled at him.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Goose View Post
    I had a cop to that to me while I was on my bicycle... a freaking COP! And he looked at me like it was my fault after I yelled at him.
    Figures, cops are getting bad here as well. Just as idiotic as the ones on the road, always on their phones too.
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

U-turns, anywhere, everywhere... especially if someone is going slow for no apparent reason.. 1. They're lost 2. They want to do a U-Turn 3. They're going to do something dumb in front of you and the second you decide to go around them is when they'll do it.. !!
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Sol Performance - Pirelli Tires

Yep like cut 3 lanes over about 30ft before the turn *cough* Uber/Lyft *cough*
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

Yep like cut 3 lanes over about 30ft before the turn *cough* Uber/Lyft *cough*
    Holy cow... I took the scariest uber ride the other night. Dude was driving slow, swerving all over while playing with his phone. He started to turn off of Parker road onto a divided side street - into the wrong direction. When I yelled at him, he corrected by turning directly into oncoming traffic on Parker road... Lots of headlights! Finally got off of parker road and I pointed at the park and ride lot where my car was, he instantly starts to turn... no street, like actually turned and started heading for the sidewalk! corrected again, got him to actually take the driveway into the lot... I know! crazy thoughts!

I've been in uber cars all over the world. This one was, hands down, the worst! And from someone who's lived in CO for 26 years... or at least that's what he said...
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Holy cow... I took the scariest uber ride the other night. Dude was driving slow, swerving all over while playing with his phone. He started to turn off of Parker road onto a divided side street - into the wrong direction. When I yelled at him, he corrected by turning directly into oncoming traffic on Parker road... Lots of headlights! Finally got off of parker road and I pointed at the park and ride lot where my car was, he instantly starts to turn... no street, like actually turned and started heading for the sidewalk! corrected again, got him to actually take the driveway into the lot... I know! crazy thoughts!

I've been in uber cars all over the world. This one was, hands down, the worst! And from someone who's lived in CO for 26 years... or at least that's what he said...
    glad you lived Holmes, some people shouldn’t be behind the wheel of a car for damn sure, mainly on a job such as Uber or lyft and think that playing with peoples lives by being on your phone isn’t a big deal. Speaking of idiot drivers, on my way home yesterday on the R1 I got off on Santa Fe south on I25 and some idiot parts driver from rickenbaugh decides to play hero on a company truck and drives like a complete thundercunt just because I’m on a motorcycle. We are at the light on Dartmouth to turn home and he starts doing standing burnouts on a company truck, like dude how fucking dumb are you? I called the dealer as soon as Ingot home and ripped them a new one, hope that dumbass gets fired before he gets someone killed.
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

glad you lived Holmes, some people shouldn’t be behind the wheel of a car for damn sure, mainly on a job such as Uber or lyft and think that playing with peoples lives by being on your phone isn’t a big deal. Speaking of idiot drivers, on my way home yesterday on the R1 I got off on Santa Fe south on I25 and some idiot parts driver from rickenbaugh decides to play hero on a company truck and drives like a complete thundercunt just because I’m on a motorcycle. We are at the light on Dartmouth to turn home and he starts doing standing burnouts on a company truck, like dude how fucking dumb are you? I called the dealer as soon as Ingot home and ripped them a new one, hope that dumbass gets fired before he gets someone killed.
    wow man yeah ive been noticing cars like to play chase when im on my bike... some reason go a bit faster vs when im in my car..where drivers go slower. its like they are pissed they are in a cage vs us having fun on a bike. I mean i dont know. way long before I got a bike, never ever tailgated a motorcycle...always gave them plenty of space...never tested them... i dont get why other people can just respect life a little more

I hope they got fired too. people should not be doing that non sense

He said "Thundercunt!".
    John
    KTM Duke 690