Thread: hyper naked bikes? how do they hold up in wind?

hyper naked bikes? how do they hold up in wind?

Hey all, so I have 2 bikes now

klx250
    cb500x

klx250 sucks in wind. super bothersome once I hit 60MPH+

So, I plan on getting a hyper naked bike soon, like a MT or a Z series 650, but how are they during highway speeds? are the winds truly bothersome? or is it something I just need to get used to? like my klx250, I just dont even want to ride on powers since the wind is horrible haha! but could be idfferent for an actual sports bike.

I see naked bikes all the time on highways, so im like they must be used to the wind or something. Eh worse case scenario, Ill get like a ninja 650

Re: hyper naked bikes? how do they hold up in wind?

I can't speak for any other bikes, but my SV1000s is fairly naked and does fine in the wind. I mean, obviously too much wind is too much, but it's never really been a problem for me and I've ridden through some serious wind and storms - the kind that makes you wonder how far you'll fly before you land.
    Photogallery * Google+ * Facebook! * STFU
    Quote Originally Posted by Suki View Post
    god bless thongs and low self esteem women.

On long hauls, the absence of a windscreen gets tiresome, but how often are you planning on touring on your naked bike?

I'll do the occasional 300sh mile day on my Tuono, and there's not that much of a concern for wind. I think you get more fatigue from noisy helmets, no earplugs, and loose fitting gear. That being said, I did put a small windscreen on my Tuono to help push the wind over my shoulders... that little bit goes a LONG way.

Other thing to remember is that most naked bikes have a more upright seating position, just like your cb500x, so you'll naturally catch more wind then on a sport bike w/ clipons.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

ahh true! well was thinking thinking maybe 200 300 miles a day on a day I feel like hitting the mountains. Im not a super fast driver, so I always usually drive the speed limit. I was thinking of a duke 690 or even a MT or Z series.

it could be maybe my little klx250 is just too light haha. also, not used to it as well. So if a small wind screen really goes a long way, i might add a small one to the next hyper naked bike i buy.

could also be my helmet? its snug/loose fit, but feels it tosses my head everywhere

I've had several naked sports bikes. SV650, Triumph Thruxton, and now a Street Triple R. For all day touring which involves open roads or highways I prefer my VFR because of the fairing; it's much less tiring after a long day. However in most every other kind of riding (especially lower speed canyon carving or short day rides) the naked bikes are no trouble. I did add a flyscreen to the SV650, and that took a lot of the wind blast off my chest, making it much more appealing. If I didn't have the VFR for touring I would also get a flyscreen for the STR.
    Last edited by asp_125; Wed May 2nd, 2018 at 10:31 AM.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    I've had several naked sports bikes. SV650, Triumph Thruxton, and now a Street Triple R. For all day touring which involves open roads or highways I prefer my VFR because of the fairing; it's much less tiring after a long day. However in most every other kind of riding (especially lower speed canyon carving or short day rides) the naked bikes are no trouble. I did add a flyscreen to the SV650, and that took a lot of the wind blast off my chest, making it much more appealing. If I didn't have the VFR for touring I would also get a flyscreen for the STR.
    The fairing and ride position on the VFRs are very comfy.