Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best sports touring bike!

best sports touring bike!

Hey CO folks! So....my wife actually likes riding now; you know what that means! I need to get a sports touring bike (sports being my idea)

Anyhow, I have been eyeing 3 bikes

Ninja 1000 (2017+)
    Ninja 650 (2017+)
    versys 1000

Now, ninja 1000 really has my attention. It is actually a sport touring bike and not a super sport. The site even has it labeled as a 2 up touring bike where the suspensions have been adjusted. There is even a quick pre load adjustment in the back..which is highly in favor for me. I also consider this bike will be my daily driver as I have been taking by cb500x as a daily, until I get a rally raid for it

and straight words from the site

"The ultimate sport tourer infused with superbike technology makes it the Ninja 1000 ABS motorcycle. From the daily urban commute to back roads and 2-up touring"

https://www.kawasaki.com/Products/2018-Ninja-1000-ABS

I was wondering what you guys think about it. I believe the seating is more of a "touring comfort" type, so comfort is obviously something I would like to consider. Of course, power is one of the reason I want the 1000 as well when I feel like I want to ride it as a sports bike

I was wondering if anyone has experience with adventure riding on the ninja1000 touring sports
    Last edited by willc86; Tue Jun 12th, 2018 at 04:00 PM.

Re: best sports touring bike!

I rode my ZX12R over 30K in Sport Touring mode.. decided I wanted something to meet specific points on my list
    Rode a Concours, R1200R, Sprint, FJ1300.. ended up with a R1200RS and can't be happier.

My list of "had to have" was a shaft drive to reduce maintenance on multi day rides, hard bags, true electronic cruise, heated grips, shortest wheelbase, and comparable weight to my 12R.
    I still like to carve up tight stuff when the mood strikes me, and tossing around a 600+ lbs bike gets tiring on a 300+ mile day of 15 mph marked corners.
    2000 Zx-12R; 2007 GSXR 600 (bosses bike)
    2016 BMW R1200RS Granite FOG ride
    09 G8GT, 02 WJ

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

I've ridden the Ninja 1000 (a full day w/ a passenger) and I seriously thought about getting one. But I was still in my "gotta go fast and look cool" stage, so I didn't end up getting one. I'd still consider one if I wasn't looking to go a totally different route for my next bike.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Choosing a sport touring rig is kinda agonizing. There's always some degree of giving up sport or touring one way or the other. I like my FJR but the Ninja1000 looks like a great bike too.
    "On a cycle the frame is gone. You're completely in contact with it all. You're in the scene, not just watching it anymore, and the sense of presence is overwhelming.” Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Goose View Post
    I've ridden the Ninja 1000 (a full day w/ a passenger) and I seriously thought about getting one. But I was still in my "gotta go fast and look cool" stage, so I didn't end up getting one. I'd still consider one if I wasn't looking to go a totally different route for my next bike.
    funny who that works... started for me when I bought the troublestrada. Fell in love with the more comfortable riding position, still had plenty of power and sportiness.

Now, ADV road beast mode with the Aprilia Caponord Rally. It's definitely no sportbike or sport-tourer, but has more than enough to get going, and all the ugly so the other ADV riders don't mind it either. Also comfy enough to put 600 - 700 miles on it in a day without being crippled the next.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    funny who that works... started for me when I bought the troublestrada. Fell in love with the more comfortable riding position, still had plenty of power and sportiness.

Now, ADV road beast mode with the Aprilia Caponord Rally. It's definitely no sportbike or sport-tourer, but has more than enough to get going, and all the ugly so the other ADV riders don't mind it either. Also comfy enough to put 600 - 700 miles on it in a day without being crippled the next.
    It's funny that I've never been really attracted to the whole adventure side of things. I'd get a WR before I went full Adventure. My next bike, I'm leaning towards the cruiser side, the Yamaha Raider to be exact.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

If I didn't like my VFRs so much, I'd be looking at the Ninja 1K for a sport tourer as well. Be aware though, the factory hard luggage option for the Ninja is something like $1300
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

It's funny that I've never been really attracted to the whole adventure side of things. I'd get a WR before I went full Adventure. My next bike, I'm leaning towards the cruiser side, the Yamaha Raider to be exact.
    I wouldn't mind adding a bobber style cruiser bike to the garage, but that's going to be a while since I just picked up a second car that I plan on tracking in the future... Too many expensive hobbies!
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!

Pretty sure everyone knows Kim and I both have WRs and street bikes. Every time we go for a ride, we talk about how much we want adventure tourers. Sick of the crotch rockets, and the WRs vibrate your nuts off at 80 mph!
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

Quote Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean View Post
    Pretty sure everyone knows Kim and I both have WRs and street bikes. Every time we go for a ride, we talk about how much we want adventure tourers. Sick of the crotch rockets, and the WRs vibrate your nuts off at 80 mph!
    That doesn't sound fun. I used to hate my VStar 1100 because it is so slow and loud, but as I age it becomes much more comfortable than my Ninja.

S1000RR. All of those amenities, 450 lbs, and 200 hp.

Senior Member Moderator

If I had my pick it would be a tossup between the KTM SuperDuke GT, Ducati Multistrada, or the S1000XR. Granted those are high-dollar machines, but they offer a great combination of sportiness, wind protection, and distance per tank with less compromises to the "sport" side. That said, anything can be a sport-tourer if you're determined enough and have the pocketbook.

I recently went touring for four days through southern Utah on my Tuono 1100. I slapped on some Hepco & Becker side bags and a sportrack+tail bag and had the best trip of my life so far. The only concerns for me was the lack of wind protection and mileage between stops as the fuel light on my Ape comes on at 135 miles. So, despite the versatility of the Tuono, I'd have felt much more comfortable on a true sport-touring bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Drano View Post
    If I had my pick it would be a tossup between the KTM SuperDuke GT, Ducati Multistrada, or the S1000XR. Granted those are high-dollar machines, but they offer a great combination of sportiness, wind protection, and distance per tank with less compromises to the "sport" side. That said, anything can be a sport-tourer if you're determined enough and have the pocketbook.
    Funny... I read the last sentence above, and instantly thought of touring all over NC, SC & TN on my 2012 Tuono...

Then I saw your next paragraph!

I recently went touring for four days through southern Utah on my Tuono 1100. I slapped on some Hepco & Becker side bags and a sportrack+tail bag and had the best trip of my life so far. The only concerns for me was the lack of wind protection and mileage between stops as the fuel light on my Ape comes on at 135 miles. So, despite the versatility of the Tuono, I'd have felt much more comfortable on a true sport-touring bike.
    Worked for me for a few years... until the top case fell off!

Senior Member Moderator

I'm always amazed every time I ride my 1100, man. It's comfortable, powerful, and the Hepco & Becker bags were super-easy to install. I don't know if you swapped out the seat on the 2012, but the 2016+ seats are excellent!

At highway speeds the windblast wasn't too bad, but it's so easy to twist the wrist and just wait for my head to roll off my neck if not in a tuck! All of it with an ear-to-ear grin, of course.

I agree with texlurch with his list of "got to have" for a sport touring bike. Motus is very appealing but lacks shaft drive and they are pricey.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

thanks for all the inputs. definitely eyeing the 1000. seems it will be a more comfortable and "powerful" bike and of course i like the looks as well. I just hate it gets 30MPG :/
    My wife rides in the back of my 500 cbx and just feels a little slugish (at least for my taste)

Quote Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
    thanks for all the inputs. definitely eyeing the 1000. seems it will be a more comfortable and "powerful" bike and of course i like the looks as well. I just hate it gets 30MPG :/
    My wife rides in the back of my 500 cbx and just feels a little slugish (at least for my taste)
    That gas mileage surprises me! I get around 40 on the ZX14.

I'm always amazed every time I ride my 1100, man. It's comfortable, powerful, and the Hepco & Becker bags were super-easy to install. I don't know if you swapped out the seat on the 2012, but the 2016+ seats are excellent!

At highway speeds the windblast wasn't too bad, but it's so easy to twist the wrist and just wait for my head to roll off my neck if not in a tuck! All of it with an ear-to-ear grin, of course.
    The touring screen definitely helps w/ the wind. As for the seat on the 12... Well, it's a board. Comfortable enough once you're on it, but you have to get comfortable.

Fortunately, now that I have the Caponord, I'm not worried about touring on the Tuono... It's been relegated to fun duty only. The Capo's like riding a barco lounger at 100+ mph!

Quote Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
    Wouldn't she rather have her own bike?

Ever since Kim started riding her own bike (2003), she says, "this bitch doesn't ride bitch!"
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

Quote Originally Posted by Kim-n-Dean View Post
    Wouldn't she rather have her own bike?

Ever since Kim started riding her own bike (2003), she says, "this bitch doesn't ride bitch!"
    Funny!

...That said, anything can be a sport-tourer if you're determined enough and have the pocketbook.
    Pocketbook is optional, soft sided luggage is cheap, Givi's a bit more. We just came back from a mini vacation in the mountains. The twisty roads favor a smaller lighter machine, but long stretches of straight / sweepers cry for more cc's. I can see the appeal for a liter+ sports tourer when passing at altitude. However, the VFR performed admirably loaded down. My sweetie just throws a few days worth of stuff onto her FZ6R and it's good to go.

Having used the Givis, I'll never go back to soft luggage again. (yeah it's not a matching color, it's off our other bike)

When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    Pocketbook is optional, soft sided luggage is cheap, Givi's a bit more. We just came back from a mini vacation in the mountains. The twisty roads favor a smaller lighter machine, but long stretches of straight / sweepers cry for more cc's. I can see the appeal for a liter+ sports tourer when passing at altitude. However, the VFR performed admirably loaded down. My sweetie just throws a few days worth of stuff onto her FZ6R and it's good to go.

Having used the Givis, I'll never go back to soft luggage again. (yeah it's not a matching color, it's off our other bike)

What kind of bags does she use on her FZ6R? I just picked up a 2013 FZ6R in April and figure it will make a good tourer with the right luggage.
    2005 Yamaha YZF-R6 (SOLD)
    2013 Yamaha FZ6R
    Stupidity should be painful.

For the money I’d go with a S1000XR, FJR or the Superduke GT. What I loved about the BMW more than anything is the warranty. A 3/36 for a bike is insanely good and also covers your oil changes, something most others brands don’t even come close to. I almost pulled the trigger on that one before I came across the R1 last minute. Test rode one and it’s comfy, very peppy and rather well equipped and with plenty of options. Probably still in the future plans once the R1 is paid off next year.
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )