Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
The last day of testing was interesting man, 15 riders within a second. Rossi made leaps of progress in comparison to yesterday and Yamaha looks like it delivered a little something during the off-season although they're not all there just yet but seemingly much better than these last two disastrous seasons, after all this is testing and Yamaha has always done well in Losail. We will see truly what goes on whenever their not so forte tracks come up.

Rins is looking threatening man, this dude has become such a great rider and that Suzuki fits him insanely well, hell even Mir is making leaps of progress on that thing. Petrux is also looking like a man reborn and just on a mission to keep that seat, just so much upcoming talent is making this grid so stacked up and satellite riders having a point to prove to try and make a run at the factory guys, this has recipe for an absolute masterpiece. This season is cooking up man, I seriously cannot wait.
I think Yamaha have found something but I don't think it's enough, not just yet. There are still murmurings of rear grip issues and longevity. I think they are on the right path and really do believe they have found some solutions. Let's see how it all plays out in Qatar. I really think we will get a gauge of where Yamaha really are at in development by Mugello. Everyone need the first 5-6 races to sort their kit and start building for the championship. I'm a firm believer that the majority of championships get won during the first half of the season, with the second half being there to play the long game til Valencia.

What I really look at are the lap by lap analysis. I haven't seen the lap analysis for today's testing but usually the consistency and laps put in certain time brackets tell the story. Sure the fastest laps are in the 54's, but if you've got a couple guys that are lapping with a lot of low 55's, then those are the ones to watch. It's all about how they can maintain that pace.

I think also we've got some riders that are sandbagging this year for some reason. Marquez clearly is sandbagging due to his recovery. Lorenzo is coming to terms with the Honda, so you know he's sandbagging a bit to get comfortable.

I think Dovi is sandbagging a bit, he's just quietly going about his business and putting in some work but I think he's got something for this year.

I even think to a degree Rossi is sandbagging a bit. For him it's only testing and he's been through plenty of test seasons. He's not about to throw it down the track and risk getting injured at this part of the season. I think he kind of dicks around until it's time to get serious. Not saying he's not serious about testing but I'm sure he's wanting to go into the season as healthy with every advantage he can get. He sorts the bike on raceday.

Yep, we've got some young guns that are putting some serious pace. Those are the newbies that want to see their names up high on the list. It does them world's of confidence. The Veterans just keep grinding it out.

Petrucci is riding with a point to prove. He's going to keep that seat by any means. He's fast and I think he may surprise this year. I wouldn't put it past him to snag a win or two this year. He is a reborn rider but I also think he's a rider that knows what a blessing he's been given in the form of a factory ride. At least that's how I'm seeing from the outside looking in.

I really like stories like that, where someone gets a shot at the brass ring and knows just what it really means. You can tell they feel blessed and want to make the most out of the opportunity they've been given. You can tell the difference between someone that is there to get results and make a difference, and to show what they can really do given the bike they are on. Versus, someone there just for the paycheck. Guys like Zarco, Crutchlow(when at Ducati) are guys that are there for the paycheck. And why not?? Better to get paid, because they know they aren't going to win. But I just hate that defeatist mindset. See I don't think Lorenzo went to Ducati to get paid, sure it was a fat paycheck. But his wins showed he wanted to prove a point and earn some wins.

I think Rossi was like that in his first year at Ducati. He was on fire to ride something new and bring results. Then he kept crashing and the bike sucked, so year two(2012) was just him getting paid. And you can't blame him, if you can't get a good bike from the factory. Just earn the paycheck and move on.

Rins is looking ominous, so is Quatarraro, and a few others. Bagnaia was looking good in Sepang with some speed. So the rookies are developing and fast.

I'm with you, this is all culminating into a perfect storm of good racing this season. Let's hope the manufactures keep it up and can sustain their gains throughout the season, so we don't get jived with one or two riders running away with the season.

Qatar is just the tip of the iceberg, it's a good starting point. I'm waiting for the races that follow to see where the teams are at performance wise. The countdown is on, these next two weeks can't go by fast enough. I'm ready for the season to start