Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 MOTOGP Season ****SPOILER ALERT*** *****WARNING - SPOILER *******

Re: 2019 MOTOGP Season ****SPOILER ALERT*** *****WARNING - SPOILER *******

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    Unfortunately, GP will never be at Laguna... which sucks and we all know it. I'm just glad I got to go to one GP there. Now saying that, I'll also say that I preferred Indy to Laguna, from a spectator perspective. Those guys knew how to put on a large event... Laguna always felt a little "farm club" by comparison.

COTA's a great venue, but you are correct... The race is usually quite boring. But, since it's the only one in N.A., I'll throw down and enjoy the show... also eat a ton of real BBQ!
    never made it out to Laguna for the GP races unfortunately so can’t say, did make it to Indy in 13’ thanks to Tucker Rocky providing us with hospitality tickets and a suite with free drinks and food, got to meet Pedrosa and Marquez, that was a treat. Yeah gotta support it for sure to keep it here and like I said always a fun time nonetheless and yeah can’t beat the food and the Austin atmosphere. We had a blast last year mainly being in the AMA races, won’t ever forget that experience.
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Yeah that WSBK championship is a wrap already. Also for those wondering FS2 will have the AMA Superbike race live today as well at 12:30 I believe
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
    Yeah that WSBK championship is a wrap already. Also for those wondering FS2 will have the AMA Superbike race live today as well at 12:30 I believe
    Yeah, I'm going to have to agree. Thought Johnny Rea would have more for him once they hit the European rounds but he's got nothing for Bautista. Then again, neither does anyone else for that matter. Alvaro is throwing them all an embarrassing beating from race to race.

I used to think that Rea belonged in MotoGP, but after seeing what more or less a Satellite MotoGP rider can do to him, he wouldn't have a prayer against the main 4 or 5 aliens in MotoGP. Rea would be lucky for top 10's in MotoGP.

Granted some will say, well it's the superior performance of the new Ducati. That has some part to play, but look where the rest of the Ducati's end up? All of no where. Something has to be said for just superior MotoGP talent.

check out just the gap for the top 10 in Aragon Race 1:

1. Alvaro Bautista ESP Aruba.it Racing – Ducati 18 laps
    2. Jonathan Rea GBR Kawasaki Racing Team +15.170s
    3. Chaz Davies GBR Aruba.it Racing – Ducati +15.650s
    4. Alex Lowes GBR Pata Yamaha +18.204s
    5. Tom Sykes GBR BMW WorldSBK Team +20.165s
    6. Michael van der Mark NED Pata Yamaha +22.419s
    7. Sandro Cortese GER GRT Yamaha +23.333s
    8. Toprak Razgatlioglu TUR Kawasaki Puccetti Racing +27.929s
    9. Leon Haslam GBR Kawasaki Racing Team +28.243s
    10. Jordi Torres ESP Team Pedercini Racing Kawasaki +28.411s

Yeah, that doesn't look good for the rest of the grid. Oh well, that's what happens when you run into an alien in a new series.

It was fairly similar with Tony Elias when he came to MotoAmerica. Sure, Hayes and Beaubier were good rides. But they weren't anywhere as fast as Tony, and he narrowly snatch the title his first year in, with no experience in the series. Took the title in year two, and then Cameron really had to up his game to get it back. I also thought, Cameron's move on Tony was dirty as hell(can't remember the track) but he shoved Elias off the track, which pretty much ended his title run last year.

But look when Beaubier got a wild card in WSBK. He was mid pack, and that's at the level of WSBK. He would have no business in MotoGP and I think Josh Herrin had no business in Moto2, he got smoked and he should have stayed in America or gone to WSBK.
    Last edited by The Black Knight; Sat Apr 6th, 2019 at 01:49 PM.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Yeah it really opens your eyes to how much faster the other levels are, it's pretty insane. Like our fastest local guys can't even run anywhere near midpack at MotoAmerica and the fastest MotoAmerica guys get smoked in WSKB but yeah man most WSBK guys don't have the pace to even run near the back of the pack in GP. Those guys are at just an astonishing level, it is crazy to think about it. Pretty good AMA races though this weekend and decent scrap for 2nd/3rd in WSBK. The WSBK title is Bautistas' to lose for sure.
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

Yeah it really opens your eyes to how much faster the other levels are, it's pretty insane. Like our fastest local guys can't even run anywhere near midpack at MotoAmerica and the fastest MotoAmerica guys get smoked in WSKB but yeah man most WSBK guys don't have the pace to even run near the back of the pack in GP. Those guys are at just an astonishing level, it is crazy to think about it. Pretty good AMA races though this weekend and decent scrap for 2nd/3rd in WSBK. The WSBK title is Bautistas' to lose for sure.
    I agree to some extent. If you have talent, time and Money, you can rise to the top. You definitely need all three!

the MRA and most of the AMA guys have regular jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristian View Post
    I agree to some extent. If you have talent, time and Money, you can rise to the top. You definitely need all three!

the MRA and most of the AMA guys have regular jobs.
    I agree, and also think that you need to have it cultivated at a young age. If you look at most of the crop of MotoGP riders, whether Italian or Spanish. They are immersed in motor bikes at an early age. For must of the European countries they don't have the luxuries that we have in terms of growing and doing many kinds of sports. Sure now it is starting to diversify. Look at the NBA for example. But I remember back in the 90's when they sent the "Dream Team" to the Olympics, they shredded everyone they went up against. It's what happens when you stack the deck with professionals and the rest of the world is putting up Amateurs. Now that is changing, we see dominance from many countries, because for one they take it way more serious now. People get tired of getting their heads kicked in and start putting in the man hours in order to train and beat someone.

So your example of the MRA and AMA guys is correct. They have regular jobs and don't get to dedicate their lives to the sport, or at least didn't get to at an early age.

I loved motorcycles since age 7, but never threw a leg over my own street bike until my early 20's. My early teens were spent hours upon hours practicing a musical instrument(to which I still play to this day). I didn't get a bike until I could afford one on my own. But by that time, I'd well had other bills to pay, car/truck to pay for.

I agree with you, there is where the Money comes in. Most of these MotoGP riders had parents or families that either had money, came from racing pedigree or sacrificed everything so their kids could go racing and rise up through the ranks.

I don't necessarily agree that it takes more talent or that the world's top riders have the talent when others don't. What I think they have over everyone else is as you say "time" invested to work on their skillset. Believe me, if you spend hours a day, everyday you will achieve great results and doing them quickly. I use myself as an example. My favorite guitar players are Satriani, Vai and Malmsteen. When I was young, all I wanted to do was to be able to match their speed and abilities. Once I achieved one's speed, I'd move to the next. Until I arrived at Malmsteen's speed in my early 20's(I'd say around age 22 was when I nailed it perfectly). But I played, and played and played and played some more in order to get to that level. Did it achieve me anything?? Not really, on top of trying to make music, it burned me out of the whole music scene altogether. Now that I've been playing for 24 years, I still have the same speed that I achieved in my early 20's, just don't use it as much. I don't play as much as I used too for one, and two just do other things musically.

So while I think the level of Marquez, Rossi, Lorenzo, Stoner and others is very high. I also think others have that same level of speed, they just don't have the opportunity to either display(i.e. not in the right place, right time. Or no factory rides). Or they are just content working at other things in life.

Talent can be developed and cultivated, which in turn becomes Skillset. I think it has more to do with Time and Money. You have to set aside the time and let it consume you, and then you've got to have the money to pay to play(or use someone else's money).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

You can cultivate some talent, but there is always one who has natural talent and family money! Karl Abraham is the guy with money, yet he finishes mid pack or lower!

Quote Originally Posted by Kristian View Post
    You can cultivate some talent, but there is always one who has natural talent and family money! Karl Abraham is the guy with money, yet he finishes mid pack or lower!
    I think Karl Abraham is a good example of someone that buys their way in, but doesn't quite have the commitment. Sure he's got family money and I know that's what drives most of his participation, I think his family are living vicariously through Karl. Which is fine, do whatever must be done to scratch the itch. Karl has talent but gives off that I really don't want to give it my all attitude. Least that's how I see it. He does crash a lot though, so maybe he is pushing and just wrecks a lot.

But I think someone that was on the other end of the spectrum for instance, Casey Stoner. I read his book Pushing The Limits(good book by the way) and in it, he outlines and details what he and his family went through to get him to the brass ring. Early on, it was just him and his close family. Sure as he got going, the sponsors and teams starting to take notice. But he had to grind it out for a very long time in the process.

Guys like Stoner and others that are brought up in that sort of environment just have that "IT" factor. Some people have it, some don't. They have it to go that extra mile.

I agree with you, guys like Karl Abraham really shouldn't be there. It sucks to see Abraham stay and someone like Bautista gets the boot. But look at Bautista, one door closed and another opened and he's taking full advantage of it. He's going that extra mile and it is really showing.

There will always be those guys that pay to play. I see it all the time at the range. You'll guys with high dollar pistols or high end AR's and they shoot slow, can't move and really don't have much of a skillset. But boy they sure look cool!! But when time comes to get the business done, they blame their gear because they can't shoot. That's why I'll stick to my $400 Glocks and mil-spec AR's(what would be considered entry level) and ring steel, move and shoot and group paper all day long.

Plus I'm one of those that believes, you've got to like what you're doing. Better yet, love what you're doing. If you can't derive pleasure or enjoyment from what you're doing, then you will never maximize your potential in whatever it is you set your sights on.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

Concession updates for WSBK penalize Ducati with a 250rpm drop which won’t matter anyways lol, Honda gets a 500rpm addition along with an upgrade of their choice for 2019 and also Yamaha gets one as well I believe. Kawasaki is still within the 9 point margin so their concessions remain the same along with Ducati as well so they don’t get updates.
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

Concession updates for WSBK penalize Ducati with a 250rpm drop which won’t matter anyways lol, Honda gets a 500rpm addition along with an upgrade of their choice for 2019 and also Yamaha gets one as well I believe. Kawasaki is still within the 9 point margin so their concessions remain the same along with Ducati as well so they don’t get updates.
    I don't think that 250rpm's is going to make a bit of difference. Maybe on some very long straights it will show itself. I think on smaller tracks, those 250 revs won't be missed that much. Alvaro will just ride around the fact that he has a few less rpm's.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

Dude watching this press conference I’m just cringing. These media clowns are just too much, just such pressing questions and just trying to get shit started in between riders. Excessively retarded, hate the media sometimes
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

Dude watching this press conference I’m just cringing. These media clowns are just too much, just such pressing questions and just trying to get shit started in between riders. Excessively retarded, hate the media sometimes
    I'm surprised it took them this long to start asking about the "handshake", watching media stir the pot like this gets old. When journalists have an agenda and it's blatant, then they wonder why the get called out for being "fake news".

I haven't watched the whole thing, rarely do I ever catch the pre-race conference. I only saw the small clips of them talking about the handshake.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

Blair
    2000 GSX750F, 2003 YZ450F, 2004 GSXR750, 2006 ZX-14
    2013 CBR500R, 2016 YZF-R6 - MRA #760

Race at Assen cancelled due to snow and it is pouring at COTA, eventful weekend already lol
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

Yep, everything is massive delay at this point. Shortened FP3's to start at 11CST.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

LOL!! they cancelled FP3 and QP is now in jeopardy. Oh what a fiasco. But can't help it and mention this is what happens when you come to North America in April!! Someone really needs to do some proper planning and reschedule the US GP for sometime later in the year, when weather is a better prospect. This is why they need to switch Phillip Island with say Austin. Much better temps down there now and who cares about the cost. It's MotoGP(the Formula 1 of motocycles) so money shouldn't be an object.

Then there is the issue of refunds. I'm a dollars and cents guy, so I look at things like that. If I was jived out of Day 2 activities, then there should be a partial refund on Day 2 activities.

This is what happens when you start the season off and move to cold climate area tracks.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

Guess it dried up a ton quicker than anticipated which is good. That qualifying session was interesting, Rossi definitely looks much stronger than usual here, still doubt that anyone has what it takes to disrupt Marquez but guess we’ll see
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

Can't even win when it's gifted to Yamaha...

Congrats to Suzuki, but come on... that was lame and Rossi should have won that. Talk about a turd of a bike..

If they can't beat a Suzuki, then they aren't going to beat Honda or Ducati. Yeah, Yamaha have no championship winning bikes anymore..
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

Well I can't say I was expecting that BUT glad it happened... now not to wish any harm to Marquez as I will never do that, I love the sport in general and also as a track rider that's just something you don't do. It was pretty sickening seeing people cheer on in the stands when he crashed, that's just fucked up. Marquez had no reason to be trail braking that hard into the corners, he had a rather comfortable lead so that was definitely a head scratching moment...

Now onto the racing part of it, first of a huge congratulations to Rins, this kid is going places man, what a cool and collected ride, didn't become pressured at any point and just kept his head down. Very awesome seeing his crew and everyone at the Suzuki garage just overjoyed after many years of hard work finally paying off and with great, young promising riders in their corner as well. Rossi as usual making something out of nothing, again if only Yamaha could get their shit together man and just fix the damn issues to let them use that engine to full potential but great ride by him as usual and shutting all the dumbass haters the fuck up and I love it. I don't see Maverick staying with Yamaha for long, his career went down the shitter and just can't get anything going this poor dude, I'm sure he's wondering why he left Suzuki at this time. Miller is doing so well man, I foresee him taking the factory seat next year at Ducati if he keeps this pace up. Obviously a shit show for Honda man, both bikes out and out, Crutchlow going back to his old ways of over pushing that front end unfortunately... Man this championship is wide open now, this is going to be interesting moving forward.
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

Well I can't say I was expecting that BUT glad it happened... now not to wish any harm to Marquez as I will never do that, I love the sport in general and also as a track rider that's just something you don't do. It was pretty sickening seeing people cheer on in the stands when he crashed, that's just fucked up. Marquez had no reason to be trail braking that hard into the corners, he had a rather comfortable lead so that was definitely a head scratching moment...

Now onto the racing part of it, first of a huge congratulations to Rins, this kid is going places man, what a cool and collected ride, didn't become pressured at any point and just kept his head down. Very awesome seeing his crew and everyone at the Suzuki garage just overjoyed after many years of hard work finally paying off and with great, young promising riders in their corner as well. Rossi as usual making something out of nothing, again if only Yamaha could get their shit together man and just fix the damn issues to let them use that engine to full potential but great ride by him as usual and shutting all the dumbass haters the fuck up and I love it. I don't see Maverick staying with Yamaha for long, his career went down the shitter and just can't get anything going this poor dude, I'm sure he's wondering why he left Suzuki at this time. Miller is doing so well man, I foresee him taking the factory seat next year at Ducati if he keeps this pace up. Obviously a shit show for Honda man, both bikes out and out, Crutchlow going back to his old ways of over pushing that front end unfortunately... Man this championship is wide open now, this is going to be interesting moving forward.
    The whole thing for cheering for Marquez when he crashes is getting old. Especially since him and Rossi seem to be on better terms. It would be nice to see it go away, however I can't help but think that Marquez has earned some of that jeering because of the way he has ridden in the past.

It all goes back to causation and what he has done in the past. No one jeered and yelled at him in 2013 or 2014 when he was beating Rossi and did it on track. It wasn't until he stuck his nose into the 2015 championship that pissed people off. He has earned every bit of disdain that fans have for him, same as Lorenzo has earned his and same as Rossi has earned his from his haters. They all to a degree have earned the hate that is brought to them. Marquez' problem is that he can't seem to clean up his riding and it was evident in Qatar with that super late lunge on Dovi, it stood Dovi up and forced him wide. And it's just not the first time he's done these things.

Sure people slammed Rossi for the Gibernau Jerez 2005 incident. However, it wasn't a regular occurrence for Rossi to make contact every race weekend. Marquez on the other hand, has earned his stripes as a very rough and contact riddled way of riding. It's how he is, he crashes a lot, slams into other riders a lot. Is Marquez fast and has he earned his championships?? Yes, 100% he has but he's also gained some very much negative notoriety while doing so. Marquez just has to live with being cheered when he crashes and go on with it. And he is, he's racking up title after title so I'm sure it doesn't bother him a whole lot.

Rins does get good congrats for his big win. Suzuki have worked hard and it is surely paying off. Rins is a very smooth rider and you can tell it helps the Suzuki manage that rear tire well in the race. And as much as I love to see Suzuki win, I can't help but think they didn't quite earn this one completely the way Vinales did in 2016 Silverton. That race was a thorough beating that Vinales dealt to everyone and very convincing.

This race win was more of a win of attrition and picking off a sitting duck that's called "Rossi and his M1".

Cause let's be honest, if Yamaha would have gotten their sh*t together a couple years ago(or even this year for that matter). We wouldn't be seeing Marquez clearing off into the distance the way he has. I think today we say Marquez push to get a win where he knows it's almost a given that he will win. But Rossi was there and pushing very hard. It wasn't the completel smack down that the Argentina GP was for everyone else.

So I think the real loser in this race here is Yamaha. I think they need to take away the positives in that they were closer to Marquez/Honda today and I don't think Marquez was going to sustain much more than a 4 or 5 second lead. However, the big cold negatives that Yamaha need to walk away with are the fact that their fastest rider got beat for the win by a Suzuki and second, is that their other rider is off in the weeds somewhere and no one can seem to find him. I don't know what Vinales is doing but it's not working. Even without the jump start I didn't see Vinales making much of an impact today. Today, Vinales was a solid 7th or 8th place at best.

At least Rossi is for the most part at the sharp end but I can't figure out what Vinales deal is. Unless he can start firing on all cylinders soon, he's going to be like this the rest of the season. He's a real scramble egg brain when it comes to the race. Shows promise in the FP's and QP's and then it's a different guy come Race Day. I also think he suffers from the same issues that Lorenzo suffers from when he gets stuck in mid pack having to dog fight. Yes Lorenzo can dog fight at the front when he's fast and winning or riding his own lines with maybe one other guy. But you bog him down mid pack and he struggles with guys that are slower and it's a chore for them to chew through the pack. Once they break free, they go back to their typical lap times and are very fast.

I agree, I think Vinales time is short unless he turns it around. I also believe and have said it since before he left Suzuki at the end of 2016. Should have stayed with Suzuki. He'd be the #1 rider by a country mile and would have a bike tailor made for him.

Championship is wide open right now and it's anyone's ball game.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Don't care if Rossi racks up a ton of wins this year. Just win Mugello finally!!! I'll be so happy if he can win Mugello. It will erase all the crap for the last couple years to see him on the top step in Mugello and all that Yellow smoke and horns going off. Would make it feel like it did in the early 2000's when he would romp to a win and the place would erupt.

Rossi is right, let's see how Jerez goes. Jerez is a good indicator of what kind of performance each team has and usually sets the bar for the way the rest of the season will shape up. If he's competitive in Jerez, I'd say he's got a shot of being in the title hunt this year. Just win Mugello damnit!!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

Vinales might find it hard to find a MotoGP ride at this rate, and I agree that Miller is making a case for the Factory slot at Ducati. While the championship is wide open currently it has to be a bit concerning if you aren't Honda / MM93 because 3 rounds in he: barely lost at a notorious Ducati track, destroyed everyone at round 2, looked pretty well set for another dominating ride today until the crash.

In WSBK, the rpm limit didn't seem to make a whole lot of difference.
    Blair
    2000 GSX750F, 2003 YZ450F, 2004 GSXR750, 2006 ZX-14
    2013 CBR500R, 2016 YZF-R6 - MRA #760

Quote Originally Posted by blaircsf View Post
    Vinales might find it hard to find a MotoGP ride at this rate, and I agree that Miller is making a case for the Factory slot at Ducati. While the championship is wide open currently it has to be a bit concerning if you aren't Honda / MM93 because 3 rounds in he: barely lost at a notorious Ducati track, destroyed everyone at round 2, looked pretty well set for another dominating ride today until the crash.

In WSBK, the rpm limit didn't seem to make a whole lot of difference.
    Yeah I saw the results a little bit ago and wow, doesn't look good for anyone not named Alvaro Bautista. AB is flat punishing everyone over there and I feel it's getting out of hand. I don't think anyone in WSBK was expecting for Alvaro to come over from MotoGP and just wreck everyone there.

It's embarrassing in that one guy is winning everything(yeah with Johnny Rea he was winning it all, but actually had some competition and wasn't just running away with it all). It's also embarrassing moreso in that Bautista is really showing the massive gap in talent from MotoGP to WSBK. They take away 250rpm's and he's still winning by over 5 seconds on a little track.

He's 10 for 10 right now, and while I love seeing domination of a new alien to the ranks of WSBK. You know it's got to be pissing off everyone else in the paddock.

P.S.
    I also don't think it was going to be the massive gap we saw in Argentina. I still think Marquez was going to win but he was having some issues with the bumps and braking. So it was still going to be a sizeable gap(4 or 5 seconds) but not that thrashing he gave everyone in Argentina.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

Just playing devil's advocate...........

Do you think there is any chance that the old man got in MM93's head a bit and he was pushing. If you are the "king of COTA" and supposed to run away from all the competition. Then with a decent amount of the race past VR46 is matching you're lap times and the gap is only 3 seconds. Maybe it's me giving VR46 too much credit but just maybe he did want to repeat Argentina. When he, MM93 wasn't 10 seconds clear he got in his own head a bit.

Just thoughts. VR46 was ale to take a few wins from Stoner with some mind games.
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
    Just playing devil's advocate...........

Do you think there is any chance that the old man got in MM93's head a bit and he was pushing. If you are the "king of COTA" and supposed to run away from all the competition. Then with a decent amount of the race past VR46 is matching you're lap times and the gap is only 3 seconds. Maybe it's me giving VR46 too much credit but just maybe he did want to repeat Argentina. When he, MM93 wasn't 10 seconds clear he got in his own head a bit.

Just thoughts. VR46 was ale to take a few wins from Stoner with some mind games.
    I think the possibility is there and I would say that if Rossi was in MM93's head it would have been at this track and not Argentina. In Argentina we saw a very formidable Marquez and he just left everyone for dead.

Like I say, I think if he would have held it together he would have won the Austin GP, but I don't think it was going to be by the huge margin as in Argentina. I'm thinking at best, we'd see a 4 or 5 second lead and that was going to be about it.

I agree with you in that he saw he was only three seconds ahead and not leaving everyone behind as before. And yes, seeing Rossi on your pitboard matching lap times, probably made MM93 think about Argentina 2015, when he had around a four second lead and Rossi chewed it down to nothing, passed Marquez and then the rest is history. And yeah, for a track that is supposed to be a given automatic 25 points, a track where he dominates everyone. I'm sure it was getting in his helmet that VR46 was there and not but three seconds behind. He was matching his lap times, so I'm sure that Marquez had to play it again in his mind, "Rossi has found something and he's coming!"

The main difference between Stoner and Marquez for me, is that Stoner was a very clean and fast rider. He focused on riding a flawless race(very similar to Lorenzo) and jumping out to three or four second leads and then just maintaining from that point. Marquez on the other hand, is a dirty rider and goes about things in a whole other way. Stoner and Marquez are two of the fastest riders I've every seen, but both go about their raw speed completely different. Marquez doesn't mind using other riders as bump stops, will dick with another rider's championship and just has a complete disregard for other riders on track when he wants. Other times Marquez is clean and rides well, other times his brain waves bye-bye and he rides like we've seen him.

We never really saw that kind of attitude from Stoner. He wasn't the most resilient when it came to mind games and Rossi was in his head a lot. But you never saw it affect his riding to the point of having disregard for others. He just either performed well and won, or became a basket case and lost.

I think we should wait and see how the first part of the European leg pans out. We've got Jerez, Le Mans, Mugello and Catalunya that I believe are the races where the championship starts to take form and we start to see the real contenders and guys that will have the pace. Jerez has been a disaster for Yamaha in the last two years, but let's not forget what happened there in 2016. Rossi shredded Lorenzo and Marquez in 2016. So he's capable of throwing even the most fastest riders a beating, let's see if the M1 is up to it this year. I think if Rossi can survive Jerez with at least a podium, then the rest of the season will look good for him. If he is able to win in Jerez, then I'd say he's on for very capable shot of a 10th title. I think Rossi wanted that win in Austin, and I believe he needed it. It would have given him loads of confidence. Confidence not so much in his own abilities(cause I know he knows what he can do) but confidence in the M1.

So for Jerez:
    Win - means Rossi could be shaping up for a serious charge to a 10th title
    Podium - Rossi is in the hunt this year, I believe moreso for wins than a shot at the title
    Top 5 - means he's got some work to do and will still be a viable podium challenger but be facing an uphill battle.

Now in my perfect world, if Rossi can go on a win streak and take 3 of the next 4 rounds(specifically winning Mugello and a combo of the other three) then we've got a whole other can of worms that just got opened.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"