Thread: Advice on asking price for a used bike

Advice on asking price for a used bike

I recently picked up a project bike from a gentlemen but unfortunately my plans have changed and I don't have the room to store it. He was the original owner (may even be a member here) and it had been sitting for quite some time. A buddy and I jumped right into it. It's up and running now but I have exhausted my storage efforts and I don't want to pay for it to sit somewhere. I am hoping to get some feelers out there on what you guys think it is worth so I have an idea on what to list it for. Mind, you I have parts, labor and head scratching to get this thing going. I appreciate any feedback. So here is what I got:

2004 CBR 600RR
    The good:
    -One owner
    -Clean title
    -Motor sounds great, no knocks, ticks etc. Runs good and revs up beautifully
    -Previous owner thought it was below 10K miles (original cluster got damaged)
    -GPR steering dampener (may or may not include with it as I pulled it already)
    -Racetek Valves (compression & rebound) and springs in forks
    -I believe full Yoshi exhaust
    -Braided SS brake lines
    -Frame sliders
    -Billet case covers
    -Dynojet PCIII USB
    -Dynojet Ignition Module
    -Dynojet quickshifter
    -Gear indicator and speed limiter delete
    -After market clip on's
    -I believe vortex rear sets

The bad:
    -The obvious, no plastics, little ugly.
    -Missing original headlight so hooligan style on there now
    -Missing cluster
    -Race tires
    -Been down a time or two but everything looks straight other than a few cosmetic things
    -Probably some misc parts/labor needed to make it 100% street legal

Last edited by SouthPaw; Tue Nov 27th, 2018 at 05:30 PM.

Re: Advice on asking price for a used bike

Do you have a clean title for it? If so you may be able to get around $2,000-2,500 but to be honest these don't go for much anymore, seen a few complete ones around a year newer going for under $3-4k. You can also try and sell it as a race bike or stunt project perhaps. The problem is because of the age and also the body pieces missing and such it's hard to ask any good money for it but all in all if it has a clean title it will decide the asking price but if there is no title, you might as well keep it or part it out cause you'll get maybe $1500 out of it and that's pushing it. I would post it and try your luck man, a lot of new upcoming racers on a budget that may be looking for a cheap starter bike and maybe someone may bite since it already has some good parts for the track from how you describe it and it will need very little to make it a fun little race bike that also qualifies for a lot of classes locally and those Honda engines are bulletproof too.
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Yes it has a clean Colorado title and was actually purchased from the original owner believe it or not. I figured it was probably worth $2500 obo. It would make an excellent track bike or stunt bike as you mentioned with the option to do whatever you want since it has a title.

Yeah the clean title and one owner definitely gives you the upper hand on it sales wise.
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

I guess I’ll list it for $2500 obo and see where it goes.

Never know man, glws
    www.mo-door.com

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1

Sato rearsets, not vortex. I believe the clip one were woodcraft, IIRC. And yes, full exhaust system. And unless you pulled it, don't forget to list the brembo 19x20 master cylinder, or ohlins rear monoshock. Hope you can get her sold.

Are you keeping the liter bike?

Been a while since I posted here. Got some new wheels, I'll post up another thread. Looks like I need to update my signature line too.
    Last edited by Jayock; Sat Dec 8th, 2018 at 10:12 AM.
    2018 Ducati Panigale V4s -- Stock
    2017 Nissan Titan XD -- Stock
    2009 BMW 135i -- Far from Stock
    1966 Brechcraft Super III Musketeer -- Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Jayock View Post
    Sato rearsets, not vortex. I believe the clip one were woodcraft, IIRC. And yes, full exhaust system. And unless you pulled it, don't forget to list the brembo 19x20 master cylinder, or ohlins rear monoshock. Hope you can get her sold.

Are you keeping the liter bike?

Been a while since I posted here. Got some new wheels, I'll post up another thread. Looks like I need to update my signature line too.
    Oh hey J, haha! Yes they are in fact SATO rearsets as you know already. This was part of my problem; every time I wanted to work on it or look at it, I had to drive to the next town over to my buddies shop where they are being stored. I am the type of person that I jump head first into any project I have as I want to get it done ASAP. Without having them at my own garage was getting to be frustrating. Anyways, we pretty much swapped everything for the OE stuff that you had with it, which helped out tremendously, thank you. I can't count how many times I've kicked myself in the ass for "I'll never need this again" only to find out I shouldn't have thrown it away...

I went back in forth about keeping it/selling it probably a 1000x. I only listed it FS here and with friends/family as I wasn't going to bring any craigslist weirdo's to my buddies shop. Well just as I decided to keep it, my brother convinced me he needed it on Saturday so now it belongs to him lol. He hasn't had a bike in a long time and it will be nice to ride with him again. It will also be nice to be able to still work on it, just on his dime now . We got a cluster ordered for it this week and some other misc parts and will continue tinkering with it over the winter.

The GSXR is coming along great. We got that thing running the first week and let me tell you, those tanks were quite the project. Between the two, they stunk up the shop for a good day or so once we cleaned them out. This week, all the plastics are going on and I ordered an OE headlight off fleabay. The only thing it appears I am missing is the two nose pieces but I'll find out more as it comes together. Again, thanks for keeping all those parts! As far as keeping it goes, I do want to keep it for at least a little while. I've never really owned a Suzuki before aside from a 2007 GSXR 600 that I picked up from the dealership I was working at for cheap but only had it maybe two months. I've had close to 20 other sport bikes but only the one GSXR. Long term, I would love to but with already having my '12 R1 and '09 XV1900, a third bike might be hard to justify. I mapped it out already and I think I can get another one in the garage with the lady still being able to park in there but she might not be as thrilled as me. I am at least willing to give a shot for as long as I can though!

Those new wheels you got definitely deserve it's own post, especially that exhaust note.
    Last edited by SouthPaw; Mon Dec 10th, 2018 at 01:38 PM.
    One man can change the world...with enough ammunition
    2012 Yamaha R1 Raven
    2009 Yamaha XV1900
    Couple of LS 5.3 GMT800 rigs

Sweet. Shoot me some pics with progress.
    2018 Ducati Panigale V4s -- Stock
    2017 Nissan Titan XD -- Stock
    2009 BMW 135i -- Far from Stock
    1966 Brechcraft Super III Musketeer -- Stock