Thread: Alternate TV provider

Question Alternate TV provider

Anyone using sling tv or anything of the like? Comcast is a fucking rip off and also every other major company, their service is horrible and you pay just for a bunch of repeated channels in a so called package. Been looking at Sling mainly but any recommendations are appreciated. Done spending hundreds of dollars a month for that bullshit service.
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Re: Alternate TV provider

Quote Originally Posted by madvlad View Post
    Anyone using sling tv or anything of the like? Comcast is a fucking rip off and also every other major company, their service is horrible and you pay just for a bunch of repeated channels in a so called package. Been looking at Sling mainly but any recommendations are appreciated. Done spending hundreds of dollars a month for that bullshit service.
    Roku user here. I ran Playstation Vue on it for a long time($54.99 for 100+ channels) plus no contract and you can cancel at anytime. Plus with Playstation Vue you can run it on up to 5 different devices.

Now I use Hulu and Amazon Prime, plus I get to piggy back on Xfinity Stream Beta. It works the same as Playstation Vue did. I could authorize the use on someone else's Roku or tablet device.

Nice thing with Roku, is all the free stuff you get. Roku Channel(which shows lots of good movies), Sony Crackle(similar to Roku channel). Also Pluto TV is kind of cool, you can get free news channels among other weird channels that are niche type channels. They also have a ton of music streaming channels on there. Only thing I don't dig about Pluto TV is there are a lot of liberal channels on there, so that really doesn't do much for me. But hey, I'll use them for their free music streaming channels. They also have SKY News, which is cool to watch news going on around the world in other countries.

And then my main app I watch is YouTube. I'm subscribed to all kinds of YouTube channels, I spend most nights just on YouTube than anything else.

I've also got several religious channels(apps) loaded on my Roku which are great for me.

But if I remember correctly, Roku has some 3500+ free channels. Cooking, sports, automotive, etc. etc.

I love my Roku best $90 I've spent and had it now about two years. Blows paying for TV out of the water. Then I have my MotoGP subscription, which I've got on my computers and stream to my tv.

Check out Roku man, and check into Playstation Vue as well. You don't need a Playstation to actually run Playstation Vue, although having my PS4 was nice, because it's something only I can log into and it was the master device for my account on Playstation Vue. So any changes happened on my PS4 only.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Dang dude thanks on the Playsation vue recommendation, has most channels I watch and not a bad price at all (mainly all the nerd channels like SCI/NatGeo/Discovery and ID channel) I rarely watch any other channels but for maybe FX if there are good movies on occasionally. I may pick up a ROKU and just stream it through there and get all the other freebies you mentioned, that would save me a ton in dire comparison. I have amazon prime video but honestly it’s pretty horrible, there is minimal content on there except some old top gear episodes which I’ve depleted . Looked at youtubetv and it’s rather bad, channel selection is very scarce. I think I may do the PlayStation vue and see how it works out, worst case the ROKU can also support Sling and other providers so we’ll see. Thanks man
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Went through a lot of the same apps and services a while back... When I added up everything I was spending by "cord cutting", I saved more money by going back to comcast. Once you split out their bundling options and pay for just the ISP, then start tacking on 10 - 40 bucks per service outside, it's just not worth it... to me.

I don't have some uber cable package, just the starter pack. It has the channels I watch. Combined with a Roku, there are more than enough options out there.

And you're right, Amazon Prime has no depth in programming other than top gear and Man in the High Castle.

I will say, I really like the ESPN app for F1. Commercial free, if you don't mind not watching it live.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

I've gone through a few things.... DirecTV, Comcast, downloading EVERYTHING, Amazon, SlingTV and now I'm on YoutubeTV.

My rank and why:
    1. YoutubeTV - You get a shit ton of channels (including local), with DVR cloud included, AND you can share it with others. It's $40 regularly, but I'm splitting it with 4 other people, so it comes out to about $10 a month. Even with splitting the cost, each user still gets their own DVR. Only thing I download now are shows on channels like HBO or Showtime. https://www.groundedreason.com/youtube-tv-channels/

2. Downloading EVERYTHING: It's nice because you don't have to pay for everything. But it becomes a pain trying to keep track of what you need to get. Then you have to wait for it to download, and who likes waiting?!

3. SlingTV: You can get a lot of channels and a DVR cloud, but you might as well get Comcast or DirecTV for the same price and probably get a few extra channels. Bonus was they have BeIN Sports (English) in HD unlike Comcast.

4. Comcast & DirecTV: Lots of money and you're usually stuck with a big bill in a contract. It's convenient, but it's expensive. You know the drill.

5. Amazon: Really? Shitty shows and movies for free. There's a couple good shows, but not many. If you want to watch a good movie, you have to pay for it. Might as well download it.
    Last edited by Mother Goose; Tue Dec 4th, 2018 at 01:03 PM.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Guess I'm the only guy who likes Amazon Prime. I think they have a good selection of movies, I will say they are a bit thin on their action movies. But the Jack Ryan series was great, I really liked that show and I'm not someone who really gets into TV series stuff.

For me, Amazon Prime Video is just a bonus, as I use mainly the Prime for shipping when I buy off Amazon(and I do buy a lot). So the monthly subscription pays for itself with free shipping and the Prime video. Also, not sure if you guys are aware but you can also stream unlimited music with Prime music. You can listen to CD's before they become available on some artists.

The $12.99 a month isn't bad. I figure if you buy just 5 things, it pays for itself with the 2-day free shipping. I'd pay the $13 in just a few purchases. Several books that I've bought used(before I had Prime), the shipping was more than the book.

Nice thing is, you are guaranteed 2-day delivery and if it doesn't show up in your 2-day time. I get to call up and pitch a fit and get taken care of, as I'm paying for a service that is supposed to guarantee two day service. And I'm not one of those that likes to call and complain as I hate the "squeaky wheel gets the grease" persona. But if I'm paying for a service, then yeah I tend to pile on when it goes bad. If it's free shipping(say for instance with Ebay) I won't complain, as I saved money and the shipment is on the sellers dime. But if I'm paying for a membership service that gives me privileges over non-member buyers then yes I want I will complain is the service is not up to par.

Same thing with MotoGP subscription. I've sent them a few nasty grams about their crappy streaming during some GP's. I never hear back, which tells me they couldn't care less. But their streaming has gotten better, especially during the second part of the season. Seems like Mugello, Catalunya and Silverstone always have super slow streaming buffering.

P.S.
    I will say, that if you go completely all streaming. Be prepared to drive up your bandwidth usage. I've gotten close twice and one month I did go over. And yeah, believe me there is a cap on your bandwidth. I didn't know it, but Xfinity sets it a 1TB of data. They do warn you once you get within 90gigs of your limit.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

I will say this... Since MotoGP went to HTML5, their streaming is much better. The flash components were so terrible, it made the racing unwatchable. I wouldn't even bother trying to watch a live stream, and even the replays would buffer. The HTML5 service actually got me to renew.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

I enjoy my Comcast services and am happy with my monthly bill.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    I enjoy my Comcast services and am happy with my monthly bill.
    Said no one ever...
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

We have comcrap, but only because there are no other viable bandwidth options out where we are now. When they eventually run fiber out here we'll go back to ISP streaming and OTA local channels. Between Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu, Roku and my MotoGP subscription we have all bases covered. I still have AppleTV but that's pretty much redundant.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable:09 Thruxton \ 09 FZ6S2
    Sold List:97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 02 VFR800, 08 Spyder RS, 12 Street TripleR, 09 KLX250S, 16 KTMRC390, 10 F650GS
    my Facebook, SpeedShots
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Quote Originally Posted by asp_125 View Post
    We have comcrap, but only because there are no other viable bandwidth options out where we are now. When they eventually run fiber out here we'll go back to ISP streaming and OTA local channels. Between Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu, Roku and my MotoGP subscription we have all bases covered. I still have AppleTV but that's pretty much redundant.
    That's the other thing I do as well. Free-to-air channels are great. I've got a mast mounted on the house and capture 30+ channels, which is great because I get all the local news channels and other channels. I have the same setup as you, and really I have too much tv to watch between all platforms.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Said no one ever...
    No it's true. My "out the door" cost each month is ~$133.xx and it includes:

- All of their premier programming including the "Sports & Entertainment" pack so that I can watch CBS Sportsnet and BeiN, etc.
    - All of the premium channels (the various HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Starz channels, etc.)
    - HD programming
    - (2) full function tuners
    - DVR service
    - And 100Mbps internet service. I purchased my own equipment.

I mean it's not chump-change every month but I have programming out the ass, the X1 platform is pretty cool with its third-party integrations (like Netflix, Youtube, etc.). Obviously this is a non-standard price for most people, but let's just say "I know a guy".
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    No it's true. My "out the door" cost each month is ~$133.xx and it includes:

- All of their premier programming including the "Sports & Entertainment" pack so that I can watch CBS Sportsnet and BeiN, etc.
    - All of the premium channels (the various HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Starz channels, etc.)
    - HD programming
    - (2) full function tuners
    - DVR service
    - And 100Mbps internet service. I purchased my own equipment.

I mean it's not chump-change every month but I have programming out the ass, the X1 platform is pretty cool with its third-party integrations (like Netflix, Youtube, etc.). Obviously this is a non-standard price for most people, but let's just say "I know a guy".
    To me that is a lot of money every month. I don't watch TV though. I get Longmont's utility internet for $49.95 a month with GIG to the home speeds. Fuck Comcast so much!!!

Yeah, no argument here; it's definitely not an insignificant amount of money.

I guess I think about it this way.... reliable and fast internet is a necessity for me, and essentially it's a $50/month proposal no matter how you slice it. So for the +$80 I'm paying each month, I'm at least getting a butt load of programming that I like and my kiddo likes, multiple room use, and slick integrations to other services. Not to mention it's super convenient if there's ever a PPV I just want to buy on a whim. <coughUFCcough>.

If I had the ~$960 bucks back in my pocket each year, I doubt I'd put it to any better use.
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

surprised no one mentioned layer3. i dropped Comcast because of the ever changing prices (service was good but the price hikes sucked). ran with sling and amazon for awhile before trying layer3 (verizon company i think). used it for about a year before dropping it because we just dont watch tv. was happy for the year though. consistent price, good customer service, and no subscription, so drop it whenever you want. it rides on your internet though, but that wasnt an issue since we have fiber in bongmont

2000 tillis plus stuff with some polished stuff and some carbon fiber stuff and a little bit of tlr stuff and some gsxr stuff