Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Return from the Dead

Return from the Dead

Or at least from a long time not posting here or riding.

Recently got the last couple of my old bikes sold, and took those funds and put them towards a new Panigale V4s. Got a good deal on a 2018 close out from the folks at Erico. Good people there.

Weather and seasons being as they are, I've only gotten to put a couple hundred miles on it, but it's been great to be back in the saddle. It's probably been 8 years since I've really ridden, sans a couple trips on bikes owned by friends here and there.

Before my hiatus I did some decent racing with MRA and a bit with WERA. I rode as number 818 as a novice, and 81 as an expert. Raced 600s and 1000s, and did some motocross track riding for fun/practice.

Looking forward to some track days and some group rides when it gets warmer out.
    2018 Ducati Panigale V4s -- Stock
    2017 Nissan Titan XD -- Stock
    2009 BMW 135i -- Far from Stock
    1966 Brechcraft Super III Musketeer -- Stock

Re: Return from the Dead

Welcome back, rather dead here and what not but some of us still lurk or post in this wasteland
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Why is that? Seems dead to me too. Used to be pretty busy.

For me, all of my friends gave up sport bikes and got harleys. Literally every single one of them got out of it a few years ago and I am the lone wolf. I picked up my first cruiser this year (XV1900) and I can say, it's definitely a lot of fun but I will never give up sport bikes.
    One man can change the world...with enough ammunition
    2012 Yamaha R1 Raven
    2009 Yamaha XV1900
    Couple of LS 5.3 GMT800 rigs

Quote Originally Posted by Jayock View Post
    Why is that? Seems dead to me too. Used to be pretty busy.
    Social media man. No one cares about forums anymore and in the "gotta have it now and get as many likes as possible" era, the forum is an archaic way of communicating. It's sad, as this forum has been home to some great debates and threads in the past...

Quote Originally Posted by SouthPaw View Post
    For me, all of my friends gave up sport bikes and got harleys. Literally every single one of them got out of it a few years ago and I am the lone wolf. I picked up my first cruiser this year (XV1900) and I can say, it's definitely a lot of fun but I will never give up sport bikes.
    I have a 1200 Sporster for a couple years and loved every minute of it. Only sold it because a buddy of mine wanted it and I figure anything is for sale as long as the right buyer comes along. I ended up with my dad's Vulcan 750 for awhile after that. Then got back into sportbikes in 2013 to do mainly track days and I did them right up until last year when I sold my bike in April 2017.

For around the city, you can't beat a cruiser. They are comfortable and very nice in stop and go. Even on mountain rides they are nice, you don't end up with cramped knees and back.

I'll never buy another sportbike for the street. If I even do get one(and that's a big "IF"), then it will be as before and just have a dedicated track bike. I'd love to get another cruiser but seeing as how the Springs just keeps growing and people don't seem to ever drive any better, I probably won't. You really do take your life in your own hands with the way people drive these days. People drive so bad anymore, that I went the route of a dash cam just as a CYA for if/when the inevitable happens.

It's funny, I don't really download the footage but I will say, that I've captured a lot of bad drivers in the last year or so.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

Interesting. I’m on a local gun forum that seems to be going strong as ever. Guess the crowds between the two overlap less than I thought.

This place got moderated into the dirt. The warnings were there, too few cared.

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    Watch it!
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Quote Originally Posted by Mother Goose View Post
    Watch it!
    I assume that is your bike in your avatar? I recently saw that same picture somewhere but I cannot figure out where? Maybe FB, IG R1 forums?
    One man can change the world...with enough ammunition
    2012 Yamaha R1 Raven
    2009 Yamaha XV1900
    Couple of LS 5.3 GMT800 rigs

Holy shit a post from Bueller

My .02 is that the opposite is the real reason for the demise. The "crazies were running the asylum" so to speak, and any real or valuable content was hard to find in all the noise. When the content was eroded the true contributors stepped away. The second part of your post is 100% accurate.
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
    My .02 is that the opposite is the real reason for the demise. The "crazies were running the asylum" so to speak, and any real or valuable content was hard to find in all the noise. When the content was eroded the true contributors stepped away. The second part of your post is 100% accurate.
    Winner winner... Got real tired of checking in just to see the same people posting absolute garbage.

I'm actually surprised the powers that be haven't re-purposed the server and shut this forum down completely...
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Any ideas on how we get this place going again. I used to love it back in the day.

Maybe see see if some dealers are interested in promoting it with their customers?

Huge Member Site Admin Mother Goose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SouthPaw View Post
    I assume that is your bike in your avatar? I recently saw that same picture somewhere but I cannot figure out where? Maybe FB, IG R1 forums?
    Yes, yes and yes.
    Chadwick
    MRA #825

"You live more for five minutes going fast on a bike like that, than other people do in all of their life." - Marco Simoncelli

Quote Originally Posted by Jayock View Post
    Any ideas on how we get this place going again. I used to love it back in the day.

Maybe see see if some dealers are interested in promoting it with their customers?
    It would be challenging.

I think the first step would be getting rides going again. If it became a riding group again it would attract quality contribution and the rest would take care of itself.

Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

It would be challenging.

I think the first step would be getting rides going again. If it became a riding group again it would attract quality contribution and the rest would take care of itself.

Agree on the rides
    "On a cycle the frame is gone. You're completely in contact with it all. You're in the scene, not just watching it anymore, and the sense of presence is overwhelming.” Pirsig

So you are saying the clamp down on speech came too late to save it? I stopped coming here and the FB page when shit just started getting deleted, when other people started deciding what I was allowed to see. No one forces people to look at anything, at least not yet.

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

IMO the the marketplace of ideas should be free and open. Bad ideas and behavior will be corrected for in time, but for some it just doesn't happen as quickly as "they" think is should, So they feel the need to help it along.

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    Winner winner... Got real tired of checking in just to see the same people posting absolute garbage.
    But you did kept coming back, didn't you?

When this place became vanilla, it became boring.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grim2.0 View Post
    Holy shit a post from Bueller
    You mean a shit post from Bueller lol
    Last edited by Bueller; Sat Dec 15th, 2018 at 01:10 PM.

I'm with Bueller on this 100%, when people's threads or posts got deleted because they stepped on toes is when this forum started to die a slow death.

It's what a forum is supposed to be, a place for open discourse and discussion whether it be in jest or in a heated debate.

It's the problem this country is facing right now. "Some" people don't like what other people are saying, so instead of letting the 1st Amendment have its day. "Those that be" want to just shut others up and not let them have a voice.

This country is supposed to be a melting pot for diverse life and ideas, yet only when it suits a certain few. I've never understood why people can't just turn off something they don't agree with and just stop listening to it. The snowflakes of the world just can't seem to grow some thick skin and understand that not everyone thinks they way they do.

Now granted even though this is a privately run/operated forum, it is still open and available for public discourse(and free to join). Therefore it undoubtedly falls somewhat under public rules, rights or governance. The only way to stop everyone under the sun from joining, is then to open it up to "paid" membership only. And even then, you're going to run into members that you just don't agree with.

Now I was never on the Facebook version of the Colorado Sportbike Forum, so I never got to see how it went down there. But here it used to be very busy with lots of activity. I think why people went to Facebook was due to the fact that, 1. social media just started taking over, and 2. moreso people wanted a place that regulates things more. A place where if you disagreed with someone, they could get placed in Facebook jail or timeout if they got enough complaints about them.

I used to get into massive, vehement debates with some people on here and I'm sure if we were actually in the same room would not get along at all. But I can say this much, that I would never want to see their ability to debate/discuss taken away or censured just because they have a dissenting opinion and vice versa for me. I don't want anyone suppressed because of their beliefs. That's the path towards totalitarianism in everything we do in life.

I posted up a few months back about the whole Alex Jones fiasco that went down. Now granted, the guy is way out there with his conspiracies(some of which are entertaining) but his political commentary is without equal. But in a 12 hour period, he was banned/removed from every major form of social media. I don't care how you slice it, that's wrong..... To silence somebody just for what they say, is wrong.... To kick someone off of social media platforms(that are for public consumption), is wrong..... To have all the major big wigs come after someone for what they say, which showed a coordinated and concerted effort that was premeditated, is majorly wrong....

And it shows the major flaw that's happening right now with this country. That if "they" can take away one person's rights, then "they're" going to do it to everyone else at some point. For most disconnected people, it's o.k. that someone else is being trampled upon. They point and laugh or think that it was great because they don't agree with that person. Wait until they get to someone you like to listen too, or worse... Wait until they get to you....
    Last edited by The Black Knight; Sat Dec 15th, 2018 at 04:46 PM.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"So live your life so the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their views, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and of service to your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    "

"Finish today what others won't, so you can achieve tomorrow what others can't."

So you are saying the clamp down on speech came too late to save it? I stopped coming here and the FB page when shit just started getting deleted, when other people started deciding what I was allowed to see. No one forces people to look at anything, at least not yet.

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

IMO the the marketplace of ideas should be free and open. Bad ideas and behavior will be corrected for in time, but for some it just doesn't happen as quickly as "they" think is should, So they feel the need to help it along.

No. I don't think "moderation" should clamp down on speech at all. I actually think good moderation is transparent. What really becomes necessary is what I refer to as "waste treatment." When a contributor transforms to pure antagonist with nothing positive or any context to add to a conversation then that is when direction is needed.

I wasn't here when posts got deleted. I had stepped away from this group because of exactly what we are discussing. It was just polluted in my opinion. It was still active but it didn't have a lot of content that met my interests. So I'm not going to speak to deleted posts or other things that happened in the past. I can say that my experience's have led me to believe that if you want to move forward you need to "look where you want to go."
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

But you did kept coming back, didn't you?

When this place became vanilla, it became boring.
    Honestly, I stepped away when I moved to the east coast... I would check back in sporadically just to see the same few people pissing all over anything that could be remotely useful. I never really minded the debates and arguments, as long as they had a point... But the points became fewer and further between as the dumpster fire raged.

When I moved back to CO, it became apparent that the PHP forum was yesterday's news. subgroups on FB had taken over.

And I still enjoy the MotoGP thread, which is what 'keeps me coming back'.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    Honestly, I stepped away when I moved to the east coast... I would check back in sporadically just to see the same few people pissing all over anything that could be remotely useful. I never really minded the debates and arguments, as long as they had a point... But the points became fewer and further between as the dumpster fire raged.

When I moved back to CO, it became apparent that the PHP forum was yesterday's news. subgroups on FB had taken over.

And I still enjoy the MotoGP thread, which is what 'keeps me coming back'.
    It's the only reason I keep coming back....
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"

Yeah MotoGP thread is about it haha
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

I'm here for the gun talk myself.

Quote Originally Posted by j0ker View Post
    I'm here for the gun talk myself.
    As well you should be....

FWIW, I have acquired some new firearms. I'm not going to talk about them, but I have new ones and they are all awesome....

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"