Thread: Riding on shoulder

Riding on shoulder

So it's starting to get nicer here in the Denver metro, and yesterday on my morning commute down I-225, I'm hanging out in the left lane doing 10 MPH like everyone else... and I see this big ass Harley bagger riding down the shoulder doing 15? 20 MPH?

It made me realize that in all the states I've ridden/driven/lived... I have never seen motorcyclists ride on the shoulder except here in CO. What gives? I would never do it, because I'm too afraid of picking up a nail or other debris... and it's not often, either; but I usually see a handful during the summer months.

Is this some bad habit CO riders have? Are the Natives blaming transplants? I've just never seen it anywhere else (lane splitting, yes, shoulder-driving, no).

It also comes at interesting time since Utah just passed their bill for a modified lane-split (Lane Filtering).

https://le.utah.gov/~2019/bills/stat...html#41-6a-102

Thoughts?

Re: Riding on shoulder

Quote Originally Posted by Mr2GQ View Post
    So it's starting to get nicer here in the Denver metro, and yesterday on my morning commute down I-225, I'm hanging out in the left lane doing 10 MPH like everyone else... and I see this big ass Harley bagger riding down the shoulder doing 15? 20 MPH?

It made me realize that in all the states I've ridden/driven/lived... I have never seen motorcyclists ride on the shoulder except here in CO. What gives? I would never do it, because I'm too afraid of picking up a nail or other debris... and it's not often, either; but I usually see a handful during the summer months.

Is this some bad habit CO riders have? Are the Natives blaming transplants? I've just never seen it anywhere else (lane splitting, yes, shoulder-driving, no).

It also comes at interesting time since Utah just passed their bill for a modified lane-split (Lane Filtering).

https://le.utah.gov/~2019/bills/stat...html#41-6a-102

Thoughts?
    Shit, I've been passed by cars, too! I stay off the shoulder for the same reason, nails!
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

I know a few guys who regularly pass on the shoulder while corner crushing. I am always shocked and concerned about it, aside from the fact that it scares the shit out of most cars they pass, but also cause there is usually so much debris on the shoulder. I had never seen anyone pass on the shoulder until out here.

Stay in your lane.

I did it once in a very bad wreck on I25 a few years ago that traffic was at a standstill and had some asshole throw his car my way so never did it again, lane filtering or splitting will never be allowed here even though other states are starting to get with the program. This state will only cater to asshole cyclists by wasting tax money on making lanes they will never use anyways.
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Well the Harley guy prolly had to go lose weight from his butt. That would be the only time I would ride on shoulder. Yes the debris is awful. Dbl edged sword , shit yourself and or getting a flat tire. Both would be terrible ..but if yu gotta go you gotta go.

So let's take a moment, we are obviously talking about "Lane splitting?" Why the Shoulder? Let's own this and be respectful of our own roads and the people around us, 2g, I agree.

Mad, I disagree, we just need to be better at educating the public (fellow occupiers of roadways), it will take time, but isn't that our responsibility!? We need to assist in the education and help bring knowledge to the public

Shoulder should never be used, Lane "filtering" I agree with. I mean have you the debris on the shoulders in Colorado ��
    Last edited by DemonRider; Fri Jul 19th, 2019 at 01:56 PM.
    €~~~ Ramon Uribe ~~~€. 2011 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R (Current 2019)

-"CSC Community" Trailer - Is Available As Of (Stolen!!!!!!!) FML - @ My Home
    720-475-6984